Sould I charge tenant for clogging sink with a tooth paste cap?

Sould I charge tenant for clogging sink with a tooth paste cap?

Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2023 · 33 posts · 13 votes

I just took over a property and I'm getting maintenance caught up. One issue was a slow draining bathroom sink which I called my warranty service provider to snake at no cost. Because a tooth paste cap lodged in the drain is not a covered maintenance issue, they want to charge me $150 to take care of it. Should I bill the tenant for this? They have been in the home for over 3 years.

0Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
2y

$150 to snake a sink-that is nuts. Did they actually snake it?  If not, go and do it yourself.  Worst case, you can't get it out and have to call a plumber yourself (and I can't see them charging $150). I'd talk to the tenant as ask to split the cost.  I'd wonder how big that cap was and how it got down the sink.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    $150 to snake a sink-that is nuts. Did they actually snake it?  If not, go and do it yourself.  Worst case, you can't get it out and have to call a plumber yourself (and I can't see them charging $150). I'd talk to the tenant as ask to split the cost.  I'd wonder how big that cap was and how it got down the sink.

  • Logan LaperriereBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2023 · 333 posts · 124 votes
    2y

    What does it state in your lease? my leases state that the tenant is responsible after the first 30 days. If they have been in the property for 3 years and are good tenants I would just cover the repair. 

  • Property Manager · DE · Member since 2023 · 248 posts · 133 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jose N.:

    I just took over a property and I'm getting maintenance caught up. One issue was a slow draining bathroom sink which I called my warranty service provider to snake at no cost. Because a tooth paste cap lodged in the drain is not a covered maintenance issue, they want to charge me $150 to take care of it. Should I bill the tenant for this? They have been in the home for over 3 years.

    Sounds like the sink stopper was missing if a toothpaste cap was able to get in the drain.  I wouldn't charge the tenant.  
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    No way…say it isn’t so. A warranty company not covering a claim? Cancel their service and use the money to do the repair. As mentioned make sure there’s a stopper installed. A toothpaste cap should be in the tailpipe. Remove the p-trap and there’s no snaking involved. 

  • Kenneth JenkinsBusiness Member
    Member since 2023 · 54 posts · 40 votes
    2y

    Our leases state that residents are responsible for the first $100 of repairs regardless of cost.  If our standard lease wasn't in effect, we would default to the in place agreement.  To be honest this may be a judgement call since something the size of a toothpaste cap should not stop a sink from draining.  In the end though, we are agents for the owners and we are working on their behalf.  If the resident has issues with the quality of the housing such as a failing roof or HVAC issue we would advocate strongly on their behalf as well.

    Propel Property Management4.3206 Reviews
    View Page
  • Jim WellingtonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Saint Clair Shores, MI · Member since 2022 · 73 posts · 51 votes
    2y

    I would charge. If they owned the house they’d have to pay. No difference. 

    Any clog or backup caused by them is there responsibility. I generally have all my drains and sinks snaked prior to a move in. If a clog happens right after they move in then I’d probably let it slide. If they been there for 3 years then it’s in them. I put strainers in tubs and make all necessary upgrades to prevent them but if they cause them then it’s in them. 

  • Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 138 posts · 87 votes
    2y

    Yes, you absolutely should charge the tenant back. Does your lease agreement include verbiage that holds them accountable for issues like that? I (personally) do not care if they have been tenants for three months or three years, the costs associated with repairs that were caused by the tenant, are the tenants responsibility.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 415 posts · 272 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    $150 to snake a sink-that is nuts. Did they actually snake it?  If not, go and do it yourself.  Worst case, you can't get it out and have to call a plumber yourself (and I can't see them charging $150). I'd talk to the tenant as ask to split the cost.  I'd wonder how big that cap was and how it got down the sink.

     @Theresa Harris is right. A typical sink drain is made of 1-1/4" diameter pipe. A toothpaste cap is maybe 1/2" wide. How would that clog the drain? And if the cap did go down the drain, in most cases it would be a simple matter of putting a bucket under the trap, unscrewing the trap, emptying it out and screwing it back in. The tenant could do that. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.