Des Moines, IA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
Hello,
I was wondering if most of you do an application and a background check? Can you combine them into one? Who are most of you using for a background check services and the cost for them. Thanks Ben
Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
2y
You should always do a background check. I go through Apartments.com, I think they charge about $30 for the application/background check which is sent to me after the potential tenant completes it.
If that looks good, I do my own google check and also look at local court records just in case something was missed by the background check.
Realtor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2020 · 41 posts · 16 votes
2y
If I have a vacant unit that I think will fill quickly, I make every applicant fill out a free pre-screening application that is a google form. This helps weed out the people who aren't that interested.
Then I will send the application and background check through the PMS system I use called RentecDirect. It'll send out together. Tenants pay for background check. Most range from $30-$50.