Developer · Member since 2023 · 73 posts · 43 votes
I need to hire contractors for various renovation projects, such as a new soffit, bathroom renovation, etc. I'd like to use best practices to give contractors a clear outline so that they can understand the scope and bid accordingly. There are a lot of details to a renovation that I'd like to capture so that a contractor understands the scope and my expectations. Would appreciate advice on the format for an RFP or scope of work. Thanks!!!
This is separate from a legal contract and terms, but if you'd also like to point me to a standard contract terms, I'd appreciate it.
Investor · Willis, TX · Member since 2014 · 245 posts · 124 votes
1y
Not to be cliche about it but you do have to start with the "end in mind." I commend you on planning it out first. Too many just dive right in without counting the cost, heck I've done that.
Always start with the systems first: For the soffit, you may or may not impact the roofing system as this may require fascia to be replaced. If so, then the drip-edge on the roof will not survive the replacement (at least, this has been my experience).
For the bathrooms, you'll need to figure out if you're keeping the original layout and will be changing out valves or if you're planning on changing out the water lines. If you go with Matte Black finishes, the plumber will need to know that upfront vs Brushed Nickel stuff.
Lastly, if you haven't done a bunch of remodeling I would ask my local group of investors for recommendations for contractors and ask them why.
When I first started I got quotes for foundation repairs that ran the gauntlet of pricing. $4,500. $9K and $18K. I was SO confused and didn't know what to do. So I asked a friend who had done a ton more rehabs than me and he laughed at me. I didn't see what was funny.
He told me that both the $9k and $18k guy were going to hire the $4,500 guy to do the work. So, frustrated I said... so just use the $4,500 guy?!
He said, "NO!"
Get a structural engineer to draw the house and show you where you need piers. He costs $450 and isn't trying to sell you foundation services. Take that report to a foundation company and ask them to bid you on the number of piers shown on the report by the structural engineer! I had no idea.
Moral of the story... make friends with local investors in your area who have more deals under their belt than you. Some are jerks. Some are not.
We started a WhatsApp group of local investors (just 9 of us) and we share EVERYTHING. Good contractors. Bad contractors. Best practices. We all do something a little differently.. and sometimes you just need to vent. It's a free group by the way.