Looking for Advice on Tulum Property Purchase

Looking for Advice on Tulum Property Purchase

Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hey everyone! My name is Kim and I'm new to Bigger Pockets. I am a Canadian currently living in Dubai, but will be moving to Nashville TN in July-so would love to connect with others in the area once I'm settled!

I wanted to ask for some advice re. a property purchase I made in 2023. I am an entrepreneur, and began to make some pretty solid money in 2022. I knew I wanted to get into real estate investing, but to be completely honest, I was 25 years old at the time and did NOT do my homework. At the time, I really enjoyed vacationing in Tulum-and the markets were booming there. Property prices in Canada were extremely high-the 2bdrm condo I was renting in Toronto at the time was valued at almost 2M, to give some perspective-so I thought purchasing a small condo in Tulum would be a smarter and safer investment since tourism was booming and the prices were so much more reasonable. I also had enough capital to pay cash for it-and at the time not having a loan seemed ideal, however now I realize the opportunity cost of using all that cash was massive.

Anyways, after visiting a few units, I decided to pull the trigger on a turn-key 1 bedroom condo in La Veleta (Tulum) @ 169000USD which was delivered in Jan/24. It honestly is a lovely little unit, but the area is not as developed as I was expecting it to be by now, and the "boom", to put it bluntly, has faded. There is an overwhelming supply of units, especially studios and 1 bedrooms. Because of the ongoing construction in the area and the lack of paving on the road the condo sits on, it was a very difficult sell on airbnb/guests were not happy with all of the noise and difficult drive in. This sort of forced my hand to focus on long term tenants. I had someone in for about 8 months, but they left early April, and at the same time my property manager told me he was no longer able to work with me, presumably because he's focusing on larger (more profitable) villas.

I did immediately get online and do my best to find new property managers/mgmt companies, but I found that almost everyone who's website/references/resume I was impressed by was not taking on 1 bedroom units. This left me with the mediocre options to choose from, I guess you could say. I really will also mention that its been challenging to find people with no contacts in Tulum. The real estate agent I bought the property through actually stole a deposit of 8000usd from me that I was never able to get back-so at this point with him out of the picture and the previous PM unwilling to help, I felt very stuck.

I did manage to find a PM after a few phone calls, but again, it felt like I was choosing the best of the "left overs". So far, I am not very impressed with her. It has been 2 months now and we have not been able to get someone in the unit. I have constantly been following up with her, seeing if we need to drop prices etc, and she has assured me she's doing everything she can on her end, however I'm blindly trusting her at this point, and I really do think there must be better quality managers out there. 

So, I guess this brings me to where I'm at now-here are a couple thoughts/questions I have that I would love some insight on:

1) do I get out now and just cut the losses on the acquisition costs/taxes/deed creation? I know this TYPICALLY is not suggested, but I'm genuinely worried about the future of tourism in Tulum, and I'm not sure if I can see things getting back to "pandemic boom levels". Now that I am taking the time to property educate myself on everything that is real estate, is losing lets say 30,000usd on the transactions, but getting 140,000usd back in my bank account, worthwhile because of the fact that I can invest this money elsewhere in the US, and utilize loans to make my money go further? I guess this is assuming I can even manage to sell it at its current valuation, which to be honest I'm not sure of.

2) if anyone has any sort of contacts in Tulum for PM or marketing, I would really appreciate an introduction.

3) if anyone has a unit of their own in Tulum, is this normal for it to be sitting empty for 2 months?

I really appreciate any help or advice that can be offered. As I'm sure a lot of you can relate to, this is a difficult world to navigate being young and having no guidance, and in my situation no contacts where my property is. I've definitely learned from my mistakes through this whole process, and I am very eager to make another purchase this or next year, but will definitely be doing it somewhere in Tennessee, and with a lot more knowledge and analysis. 

0Reply
36 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2025 · 125 posts · 62 votes
    1y

    Hi Kim, welcome to BiggerPockets—and congrats on making the move to Nashville soon! Sounds like you’ve been through a lot already with your Tulum property. Investing out of state (or country) definitely comes with challenges, especially around local contacts and management.

    A few thoughts from my experience investing here in Tennessee:

    1. Cutting losses can be smart if the market outlook feels uncertain and you’d rather redeploy your capital where you can leverage financing and a stronger support network. Tennessee offers solid rental demand, easier landlord laws, and better access to reliable property managers. Using loans to stretch your buying power is a big advantage here.

    2. Property management really makes or breaks a deal. It’s tough finding great managers for smaller units anywhere, but Nashville’s market has a lot of experienced PMs familiar with all property types. If you want, I can connect you with some vetted local PMs once you’re settled.

    3. Two months empty on a 1-bedroom in Tulum does sound tough, but with oversupply and current conditions there, it’s not surprising. I’ve heard from other investors that shorter-term rentals and smaller units are facing stiff competition.

    Your plan to focus on Tennessee next makes a lot of sense. The market here has strong fundamentals and a lot of opportunities for both beginners and seasoned investors. Feel free to reach out anytime once you’re in town—I’m happy to help with connections or share insights.

    Best of luck with the move and your next steps!

    Zapa
    Middle TN Investment Agent | Fix & Flip | Buy & Hold

  • Brian TeeterBusiness Member
    Little Rock, AR · Member since 2021 · 75 posts · 64 votes
    1y

    Hey Kimberly, Full disclosure: Im a property manager in Little Rock, Arkansas.  So maybe I am biased.  But my feedback is

    1. The value of quality property management can’t be overstated.
    It might seem like an “optional” expense, but a skilled and invested property manager is often the difference between an asset that works for you and one that drains you. I always tell clients: your manager is your business partner on the ground. If you don’t trust them or feel confident in their follow-through, the stress is constant — and profitability becomes guesswork. The fact that you’re having to follow up regularly is a red flag. A proactive manager should be providing market updates, adjusting pricing strategies, and keeping the unit marketable without you having to nudge every step. A good property manager should be be more like an asset manager!

    2. Your instincts about capital redeployment are solid.
    If the property is a consistent underperformer, and you’re doubtful about the market’s recovery in the next 3–5 years, it might be wise to exit — even at a loss — if it gives you liquidity to invest in a stronger, more familiar market like Nashville or elsewhere in the U.S., where you can leverage financing and build equity. Cutting losses isn’t failure — it’s a smart pivot when the fundamentals don’t justify the hold.

    Turnkey Property Management4.8170 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Kimberly Miller:

    Hey everyone! My name is Kim and I'm new to Bigger Pockets. I am a Canadian currently living in Dubai, but will be moving to Nashville TN in July-so would love to connect with others in the area once I'm settled!

    I wanted to ask for some advice re. a property purchase I made in 2023. I am an entrepreneur, and began to make some pretty solid money in 2022. I knew I wanted to get into real estate investing, but to be completely honest, I was 25 years old at the time and did NOT do my homework. At the time, I really enjoyed vacationing in Tulum-and the markets were booming there. Property prices in Canada were extremely high-the 2bdrm condo I was renting in Toronto at the time was valued at almost 2M, to give some perspective-so I thought purchasing a small condo in Tulum would be a smarter and safer investment since tourism was booming and the prices were so much more reasonable. I also had enough capital to pay cash for it-and at the time not having a loan seemed ideal, however now I realize the opportunity cost of using all that cash was massive.

    Anyways, after visiting a few units, I decided to pull the trigger on a turn-key 1 bedroom condo in La Veleta (Tulum) @ 169000USD which was delivered in Jan/24. It honestly is a lovely little unit, but the area is not as developed as I was expecting it to be by now, and the "boom", to put it bluntly, has faded. There is an overwhelming supply of units, especially studios and 1 bedrooms. Because of the ongoing construction in the area and the lack of paving on the road the condo sits on, it was a very difficult sell on airbnb/guests were not happy with all of the noise and difficult drive in. This sort of forced my hand to focus on long term tenants. I had someone in for about 8 months, but they left early April, and at the same time my property manager told me he was no longer able to work with me, presumably because he's focusing on larger (more profitable) villas.

    I did immediately get online and do my best to find new property managers/mgmt companies, but I found that almost everyone who's website/references/resume I was impressed by was not taking on 1 bedroom units. This left me with the mediocre options to choose from, I guess you could say. I really will also mention that its been challenging to find people with no contacts in Tulum. The real estate agent I bought the property through actually stole a deposit of 8000usd from me that I was never able to get back-so at this point with him out of the picture and the previous PM unwilling to help, I felt very stuck.

    I did manage to find a PM after a few phone calls, but again, it felt like I was choosing the best of the "left overs". So far, I am not very impressed with her. It has been 2 months now and we have not been able to get someone in the unit. I have constantly been following up with her, seeing if we need to drop prices etc, and she has assured me she's doing everything she can on her end, however I'm blindly trusting her at this point, and I really do think there must be better quality managers out there. 

    So, I guess this brings me to where I'm at now-here are a couple thoughts/questions I have that I would love some insight on:

    1) do I get out now and just cut the losses on the acquisition costs/taxes/deed creation? I know this TYPICALLY is not suggested, but I'm genuinely worried about the future of tourism in Tulum, and I'm not sure if I can see things getting back to "pandemic boom levels". Now that I am taking the time to property educate myself on everything that is real estate, is losing lets say 30,000usd on the transactions, but getting 140,000usd back in my bank account, worthwhile because of the fact that I can invest this money elsewhere in the US, and utilize loans to make my money go further? I guess this is assuming I can even manage to sell it at its current valuation, which to be honest I'm not sure of.

    2) if anyone has any sort of contacts in Tulum for PM or marketing, I would really appreciate an introduction.

    3) if anyone has a unit of their own in Tulum, is this normal for it to be sitting empty for 2 months?

    I really appreciate any help or advice that can be offered. As I'm sure a lot of you can relate to, this is a difficult world to navigate being young and having no guidance, and in my situation no contacts where my property is. I've definitely learned from my mistakes through this whole process, and I am very eager to make another purchase this or next year, but will definitely be doing it somewhere in Tennessee, and with a lot more knowledge and analysis. 

    I heard a rumor that Tulum is in Mexico. Sorry, but no one here knows the consequences of a Canadian selling a property in Mexico.

    The further, unconfirmed information, is that the cartels have shootouts along the beach and in the bars all the way to Cancun. It may be entertaining, but that may impact of ability to sell.

    I think I'd start with settling those rumors. 

  • Andreas MuellerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2019 · 376 posts · 181 votes
    1y

    Real David Grene's book: Long Distance Real Estate Investing. 

    It will be eye opening and walk you through a lot of what you are ruminating on. It's a must in the collection of any residential real estate investor. 

    Amazon link:https://amzn.to/4mK6jWT

    THE Investor Agent and Management: For Investors by Investors
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.