issues with credit card payments for rent

issues with credit card payments for rent

Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes

I am considering using a management software that does not allow the landlord to control how payments are made. 

So I can't disallow credit card payments. I am not super excited about tenants paying rent through a credit card- because of potential issues with charge backs, stolen credit cards etc. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with taking credit card payments? And would you use a management software that didn't allow the landlord to choose or not choose credit cards as a form of payment?

1Reply
139 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10mo

    I’ve never seen someone allow it.  If your software allows it and it can’t be turned off I ASSUME either it’s not an issue or everyone uses different software because it is a problem. Because it’s going to cost at least $50 in credit card charges on a $2k/mo rental..Are you allowed to charge extra for credit card payments, say 5% surcharge so people are discouraged?

    If your rent is high enough no-fully that would discourage most lowlifes as they would have to have a decent credit limit to get more than 1 month’s rent on the card even with no other charges. 

    Are you sold on this software or can you bail and tell them the reason you aren’t using it is because eod their credit card policy?  There’s just too many other “free” pay,ent systems to allow yourself to be forced to accept credit cards. Plus they’re kind of telling you up front they aren’t on your side. Good luck either way. 

    Ps. If you mention the software maybe someone with that as a keyword will see your post and respond saying it’s no big deal or a deal breaker. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 936 votes
    10mo

    I offer credit card payment, but it is rarely used. I require receipt of the full rent, so if the rent is $2,000 and fee is $50, the tenant needs to pay $2,050 and they don't want to do that; so hardly any credit card usage.

    It might be OK if your software allows you to upcharge for the CC fee, but I wouldn't use them otherwise. Try calling the company to see what they say about it.

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 866 votes
    10mo

    I believe Buildium, and AppFolio let you disable credit card payments. If the software you’re considering won’t give you that choice, I’d think twice. Payment control isn’t a small feature, it affects the risk you’re taking on with each tenant.

  • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hey Sasha,

    Your concern is 100% valid.

    A lot of landlords underestimate the risks that come with accepting credit card payments:

    Common issues with credit card rent payments

    Chargebacks: A tenant can dispute a payment weeks later, and you’re stuck proving it was legitimate.

    Stolen cards: If the payment is reversed, you may have already delivered possession or services.

    Processing fees: High fees eat into your cash flow, especially on larger rents.

    Encouraging bad habits: Tenants using credit cards for rent sometimes signals cash-flow issues.

    Because of all that, most landlords prefer to have control over payment methods.

    Would I use software that forces credit card payments?

    Personally, no.

    If the platform doesn’t let you disable certain payment types, you’re exposed to risks that could easily be avoided — and you lose flexibility as your portfolio grows.

    There are plenty of platforms that do let you control this. For example, DoorLoop allows landlords to turn payment methods on or off (ACH, debit, credit card, cash payments via Western Union, etc.). That way you can:

    Allow only ACH to reduce chargebacks

    Enable cards only for late fees or one-time payments

    Disable cards entirely if you don’t want the risk

    That level of control is important, especially if you’re managing remotely or scaling your units.

    Bottom line

    If a software doesn’t let you choose payment methods, that’s a red flag.

    The ability to manage risk — especially around payments — is something you don’t want to give up.

    if you want to try it out here's the link  

    Hope this helps, and curious to hear what others here have experienced with credit card payments + chargebacks.


     thank you for the input- it's helpful. I am in touch with the person who made the management software company and he didn't know why it was an issue. I will share what you wrote with him .thanks

  • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
    10mo

    I spoke to the owner of the management software. he said I am the only person who has ever asked if credit card payments can be either allowed or not allowed by landlord- so it's too much trouble for him to change it just for me.

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    No.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10mo

    @Sasha Leans it might be too much trouble for you to use his software..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.