What are some clauses you include in your room rental leases?

What are some clauses you include in your room rental leases?

Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 4 votes

I am going to start renting one of the apartments in my multifamily house as a room rental. I include utilities, wifi, washer and dryer. I want to make sure I protect myself when typing up the lease. What are some of the clauses you include to protect in the monetary aspect as a landlord.

Thank you

2Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Colleen F.Pro Member
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6mo

@Richard F.  Things you would not think you wouldn't have to tell people --
No storage of flammable liquids or car/motorcycle parts (yes, if it's gas powered it doesn't go in your bedroom). Also no open flames. (I am not the candle police but had one tenant who liked to light a lot of candles and incense.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Benjamin AakerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo
    There are a bunch and too many to put in here. This is a great time to use the BP leases for your state. Otherwise, get an attorney to help you do at least the first one. 
  • Victor SoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 325 posts · 193 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Jose Gil:

    I am going to start renting one of the apartments in my multifamily house as a room rental. I include utilities, wifi, washer and dryer. I want to make sure I protect myself when typing up the lease. What are some of the clauses you include to protect in the monetary aspect as a landlord.

    Thank you


     I have a room rentals in the Chicagoland area suburbs. I write up my leases just as I would a regular lease. One thing I make sure to do is include exactly what furnishings are included in the room rentals since all my rooms are furnished. Where do you have you rental property? 

    Victor So Real Estate LLC517 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 561 posts · 327 votes
    7mo

    Love what you’re building — you’re basically turning ChatGPT into a portfolio analyst.

    Here’s how to improve your prompt without adding complexity:

    1. Define the role
    Start with:
    “Act as a real estate portfolio analyst evaluating operational performance, risk, and year-over-year trends for a long-term rental investor.”

    2. Force interpretation, not description
    Add this line:
    “Do not just summarize — explain what each metric implies about efficiency, risk, and management quality.”

    3. Add benchmarks
    Tell it:
    “Comment on whether results look strong, average, or weak for a small rental portfolio and why.”

    4. Make it find problems
    Include:
    “Highlight hidden risks (e.g., good cash flow but rising maintenance or thin reserves).”

    5. End with action
    Add a final section:
    “List the top 5 risks and top 5 opportunities for next year.”

    That turns your report into decision-making, not just numbers.

    • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 4 votes
      7mo

      @Jim Johnson thank you so much this is great info where can I learn more about how to type up the right prompts for AI

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Jose Gil:

    I am going to start renting one of the apartments in my multifamily house as a room rental. I include utilities, wifi, washer and dryer. I want to make sure I protect myself when typing up the lease. What are some of the clauses you include to protect in the monetary aspect as a landlord.

    Thank you


     Going to assume you have a great unit lease already and are only looking for input for renting a room:

    1) Clearly define the room they are renting
    2) Clearly define what other rooms of the property they get to use
    3) Clearly define what they may use those other rooms for
    4) Clearly define requirements to clean up after themselves and penalties for violations
    5) Have very strong lease violation=> termination language
    6) Have an attorney review to make sure no federal, state, local municipality violations.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7mo
    Renting by the room can be challenging if you do not create and enforce a set of "House Rules" that everyone understands and agrees to. 

    Quiet Hours 10 PM - 8 AM daily. Specify certain Prohibited behaviors at all times
    Visitor/overnight guest policy
    No cooking appliances in rooms
    No window or room AC unless provided by LL
    No storage of flammable liquids or car/motorcycle parts
    No pets. (you must have a solid, written, Assistance Animal Policy in place)
    Assigned Parking spaces
    You need to detail who/what/when for cleaning common areas, clearing snow from sidewalks, emptying household rubbish.
    You need to label and assign some storage drawers/shelves in kitchen, refrigerator, bathroom, and possibly laundry room.
    Laundry Hours of Operation
    Wi-Fi access and limitations (gaming?)

    I'm sure there is more, but that's a start. Also, be sure each room has a secure lock for the Tenant, and a separate "common" lock for house entry. I would also suggest requiring access for inspection 2 - 3 times per year. You have to nip "hoarding" and housekeeping issues in the bud!
  • Steve HyznyPro Member
    Investor · cedar lake, IN · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 18 votes
    7mo
    Has anyone had to deal with evicting one room tenant? Is there a good way as this could be difficult since other tenants would be effected?
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6mo

    @Richard F.  Things you would not think you wouldn't have to tell people --
    No storage of flammable liquids or car/motorcycle parts (yes, if it's gas powered it doesn't go in your bedroom). Also no open flames. (I am not the candle police but had one tenant who liked to light a lot of candles and incense.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.