Boots On the Ground Property Management Strategy

Boots On the Ground Property Management Strategy

Pierre E.Pro Member
Washington, DC · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 42 votes

Hello. I am looking for insight on practical methods for this. With all the electronic communication, tenant portal, and AI assisted tools, I am even more comfortable self managing my small portfolio. The thing that takes the most time is the in person stuff.  I don't need a property manager per se, and usually what I have gotten from them is what I already do, the in person stuff I have not gotten as much good service or help with. 

Showing the properties to potential tenants, visiting the property for move in, seasonal  and move out, inspections or to assess need for repair due to maintenance requests (vendors often charge visit/diagnostic fees, tenants often are limited in ability to understand and accurately report issues, even with video/photo)

What are your strategies for self managing but doing so remotely? How do I get the right boots on the ground people to help? I am close by but I am trying to offload the most time consuming aspects of what I do. I just feel like theres so many little things here and there to optimize and I don't want to get charged an arm and a leg for something simple. Thoughts appreciated! Deeper thoughts even more so (I know the basics, looking for strong tactics.)

0Reply
134 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
7mo

Pierre, instead of full-service management, consider unbundling the support. Pay per showing, negotiate a flat fee for inspections that require a detailed photo checklist and timestamped video, and maintain a relationship with at least one dependable handyman who can accurately diagnose issues and either resolve them or coordinate the appropriate trade.

To find these individuals, connect with local real estate agents, particularly those who specialize in tenant placement as they often have reliable field contacts and leasing support resources.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    7mo

    Pierre, instead of full-service management, consider unbundling the support. Pay per showing, negotiate a flat fee for inspections that require a detailed photo checklist and timestamped video, and maintain a relationship with at least one dependable handyman who can accurately diagnose issues and either resolve them or coordinate the appropriate trade.

    To find these individuals, connect with local real estate agents, particularly those who specialize in tenant placement as they often have reliable field contacts and leasing support resources.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Pierre E.:

    Hello. I am looking for insight on practical methods for this. With all the electronic communication, tenant portal, and AI assisted tools, I am even more comfortable self managing my small portfolio. The thing that takes the most time is the in person stuff.  I don't need a property manager per se, and usually what I have gotten from them is what I already do, the in person stuff I have not gotten as much good service or help with. 

    Showing the properties to potential tenants, visiting the property for move in, seasonal  and move out, inspections or to assess need for repair due to maintenance requests (vendors often charge visit/diagnostic fees, tenants often are limited in ability to understand and accurately report issues, even with video/photo)

    What are your strategies for self managing but doing so remotely? How do I get the right boots on the ground people to help? I am close by but I am trying to offload the most time consuming aspects of what I do. I just feel like theres so many little things here and there to optimize and I don't want to get charged an arm and a leg for something simple. Thoughts appreciated! Deeper thoughts even more so (I know the basics, looking for strong tactics.)


     Ah, thought you said property management is easy?

    Yeah, boots on the ground and everything similar takes a long time to find people, train and retain them. 

    Or, find ones you can trust.

    Good luck:)

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 558 posts · 326 votes
    7mo

    You’re right, Pierre — the bottleneck isn’t software, it’s physical presence. The way many remote self-managers solve this is by unbundling boots-on-the-ground tasks instead of hiring a full PM.

    Build a small local bench:
    • A flat-fee leasing agent or runner for showings and move-ins
    • A reliable handyman for “diagnose + document” visits (photos, video, written scope)
    • A turn crew (clean + paint) for resets

    Standardize outputs so every visit produces the same checklist and media. That way you’re managing a process, not personalities.

    Add a simple triage rule to reduce wasted vendor fees: tenant self-check → handyman diagnostic → specialist only if confirmed.

    Use smart locks and clear access policy to remove friction.

    Most owners overpay by outsourcing everything. If you control standards and hire per event, you keep flexibility without the full management fee.

  • Pierre E.Pro Member
    OP
    Washington, DC · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 42 votes
    7mo

    @Jim Johnson @Janice Carter This is excellent advice and insight.  You put into words and clarified something that I had a feeling about but certainly wasnt sure about. Does anyone have any different takes or systems or experiences in terms of finding/hiring/operationlizing boots on the ground for a small unit count portfolio?   

    For example, thoughts on per visit handyman consult payment, vs ongoing fee (for example, 5% of rent monthly covers all calls and diagnosis? Good idea? bad idea? )

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.