Thoughts on decreasing rent?

Thoughts on decreasing rent?

Member since 2023 · 35 posts · 16 votes

Hi all, I'm a newer investor. My husband and I bought our first LTR 2 years ago and are coming up to the end of our 2nd year with the same tenants. They're a great family, we have great communication, always pay rent on time (a few days early, actually).

The market was very different when we signed our first lease in June 2024. We did not change rent last year. We're coming up to lease signing soon, and I'm very mindful that what they're paying is $200 - $300 higher than market.

While this all still feels very new to me, I completely understand the value of good tenants and maintaining good relationships. I'm wondering if I should be proactively reducing rent for the upcoming year?

A few quick notes:

- Our tenants have always expressed they're very happy with the property, but I haven't spoken with them about renewing yet. They may not even plan to.

- I'm acting property manager, but my husband is vehemently against reducing rent (he doesn't share the property management philosophies I do, hence me managing). Our compromise last year was a small gift basket to the family @ renewal - about $400 value

- Right now our plan was to do a similar renewal gift, but that doesn't feel great either

- We purchased the property with 100% financing (combination of HELOC & conventional mortgage), which means our cashflow is negligible. A reduction would technically put us in the red, but we can also make a larger ump sum payment to reduce our financing payments.

This was longer than intended. If you've read this far, thanks very much! Would really love any and all input.

Thanks,

7Reply
927 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6mo
Quote from @Brittany Varen:

Hi all, I'm a newer investor. My husband and I bought our first LTR 2 years ago and are coming up to the end of our 2nd year with the same tenants. They're a great family, we have great communication, always pay rent on time (a few days early, actually).

The market was very different when we signed our first lease in June 2024. We did not change rent last year. We're coming up to lease signing soon, and I'm very mindful that what they're paying is $200 - $300 higher than market.

While this all still feels very new to me, I completely understand the value of good tenants and maintaining good relationships. I'm wondering if I should be proactively reducing rent for the upcoming year?

A few quick notes:

- Our tenants have always expressed they're very happy with the property, but I haven't spoken with them about renewing yet. They may not even plan to.

- I'm acting property manager, but my husband is vehemently against reducing rent (he doesn't share the property management philosophies I do, hence me managing). Our compromise last year was a small gift basket to the family @ renewal - about $400 value

- Right now our plan was to do a similar renewal gift, but that doesn't feel great either

- We purchased the property with 100% financing (combination of HELOC & conventional mortgage), which means our cashflow is negligible. A reduction would technically put us in the red, but we can also make a larger ump sum payment to reduce our financing payments.

This was longer than intended. If you've read this far, thanks very much! Would really love any and all input.

Thanks,


Are you running a business or a hobby?

If a business, what is you goal?
- Most of us want to maximize our income.

If that's also your goal, it is SMART BUSINESS to balance max rent vs max occupancy to get max income over time.

But,why would you voluntarily reduce rent w/o a request from the tenant?

Also, a gift basket renewal gift?

Most landlords would recommend spending that $400 on a property improvement the tenant wants. A ceiling fan, new blinds, etc.

See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 29 votes
    2mo

    Great tenants who pay a few days early are genuinely rare... do the math before you make any moves. One vacancy — lost rent, cleaning, repairs, re-leasing — typically runs $3,000-5,000 by the time it's all done. If they're $250 above market, that's $3,000 in 12 months... but a happy long-term tenant is worth far more than that over time. I wouldn't volunteer a reduction unprompted — have an honest renewal conversation, ask if they're planning to stay long-term, and let the relationship lead. A good tenant staying beats a "market rate" tenant showing up any day.

  • Member since 2026 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    2mo

    First off, congratulations on having great tenants. That's honestly one of the hardest parts of owning rental property, and it's worth protecting.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.