Looking to Speak With 2–3 Memphis Property Managers This Friday – 38112

Looking to Speak With 2–3 Memphis Property Managers This Friday – 38112

Justin DaltonPro Member
Member since 2024 · 29 posts · 25 votes

I’m an out-of-state owner with a 2BR/1BA duplex in the 38112 area of Memphis. I currently have professional property management in place, but the property has experienced a prolonged vacancy and I’m trying to educate myself and get a few independent local perspectives.

To be clear, I am not looking to immediately replace my current property management company. I want to give them a fair opportunity to get the property stabilized.

What I would like to do is speak with 2–3 experienced Memphis property managers for about 20–30 minutes this Friday. I’m trying to understand whether what I’m experiencing is primarily the current neighborhood/market, the property itself, leasing/marketing strategy, applicant requirements, voucher/Section 8 strategy, or some combination of those factors.

I’m particularly interested in speaking with PMs who:

  • Actively manage rentals in or around 38112
  • Have experience with 2BR/1BA rentals or duplexes
  • Have experience marketing to Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 tenants
  • Can speak to actual current rental demand and leasing activity in this immediate area
  • Are willing to give me a straightforward assessment even if I ultimately stay with my current management company

I’m available for phone or Zoom conversations this Friday and have a fairly flexible schedule.

If you’re a Memphis property manager and would be willing to talk, please send me a private message with your name, company, website/contact information, areas of Memphis you primarily manage, and roughly how many units you currently manage.

I’m not going to post the property address publicly, but I’m happy to provide additional information privately to someone I decide to speak with.

Thanks. I’m mainly trying to become a better-informed owner, compare approaches, and build relationships with good local professionals for the future.

1Reply
192 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 197 posts · 84 votes
1mo

Justin, I would make the Friday calls less about rent level alone and more about how each manager would diagnose the vacancy.

I would ask each one for the same four outputs: current rent range for 2BR and 1BA units in that immediate area, voucher leasing path, first 14 days of marketing steps, and the applicant criteria they would loosen or hold. Then ask what they need from your current PM before giving an opinion. If all three answers sound different, you will know whether this is market, property, process, or manager execution.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 197 posts · 84 votes
    1mo

    Justin, I would make the Friday calls less about rent level alone and more about how each manager would diagnose the vacancy.

    I would ask each one for the same four outputs: current rent range for 2BR and 1BA units in that immediate area, voucher leasing path, first 14 days of marketing steps, and the applicant criteria they would loosen or hold. Then ask what they need from your current PM before giving an opinion. If all three answers sound different, you will know whether this is market, property, process, or manager execution.

  • Andrew GlissonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 135 posts · 95 votes
    1mo

    Happy to chat.. we watch every listing nightly and can tell you where rents are landing on the street. 

    LPS Short and Long Term Property Management
  • Josh HandlerPro Member
    Contractor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2026 · 61 posts · 70 votes
    1mo

    Justin, I'm a contractor here, not a PM, so I'm not answering your ask. Two things that might still help, and one disclosure.

    Disclosure first: you and I have been talking in messages, and I told you there that James Jones and I are the same ownership. Saying it here too so nobody in this thread thinks they're getting two separate Memphis voices.

    On 38112. That's Binghampton and the edges of Midtown, and it is genuinely block-by-block, more than almost anywhere else in this city. Two duplexes six streets apart are different products with different applicant pools. So when a PM gives you a rent number, the only useful version is a comp on your street or the one behind it, not a 38112 average. Ask each of them to name the actual comps they're pricing against and how far away they are. The ones who can do that off the top of their head manage there. The ones who quote a zip code average don't.

    The second question I'd ask, and it's the one that separates people: "what would you change about the unit itself before you list it again." A manager who only talks about price and marketing is telling you they've never walked it with a critical eye. A 2/1 in Binghampton competes against a lot of similar boxes, so the physical condition and how it shows is doing more work than the last fifty dollars of rent.

    Since you asked for names and I have one that fits your specific complaint: 901 Asset Management, Rosina at 901-430-0700. Flat monthly fee and zero markup on maintenance, which matters because a lot of what looks like a management problem is really a billing incentive problem. They're a separate company from mine, no arrangement between us, I just send people there because the structure is clean.

    Last thing. Friday's already come and gone, so if you got the calls in, the useful exercise now is laying the three answers side by side. If all three say "price" you have a price problem. If all three say something different, you have a process problem, and that tells you more than any single call did.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.