Clean up requirements for Rental with wood floors

Clean up requirements for Rental with wood floors

managment · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote

Hello!

I just got a rental unit with solid hardwood floors and I am getting it beautifully refinished.

I like to hear your thoughts on what do you require your tenants to when they vacate? This is a A- unit renting for $1700+ with a max of 2 dogs.

For units with carpets, I ask tenants to have it professionally steam-cleaned and provide the receipt. For hardwood, what's reasonable to require? Great if I can have them rebuff and polish the floors.

I like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!

Ron

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Colleen F.Pro Member
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

Broom swept, we do not have them rebuff and polish floors. In fact we give them an instruction sheet not to put various cleaners  on the floors. No Mop and glo and such because it makes it harder to buff out.    I make it clear that they will be charged for damage to the floors and if they have pets and leave any stains they will be charged for that.  I just had a no dog unit where the floor guy had to cut and replace oak flooring because of an unauthorized pet.  some places you might ask that they cover a percentage of the floor with carpet and your welcome packet might include some felt floor glides. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Broom swept, we do not have them rebuff and polish floors. In fact we give them an instruction sheet not to put various cleaners  on the floors. No Mop and glo and such because it makes it harder to buff out.    I make it clear that they will be charged for damage to the floors and if they have pets and leave any stains they will be charged for that.  I just had a no dog unit where the floor guy had to cut and replace oak flooring because of an unauthorized pet.  some places you might ask that they cover a percentage of the floor with carpet and your welcome packet might include some felt floor glides. 

  • managment · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Good points, thank you @Colleen F. I like the idea about including a few pads in the welcome pack!

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
    6y

    I agree with what @Colleen F. suggested. For hardwoods floors, I would instruct tenants to leave it broom swept and free of any stains, especially if they have kids or pets living with them.

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I have a clause in my lease that pet damage is not considered normal wear and tear and they will be responsible for all damages that can reasonably be determined to be caused by a pet. I've had people try and tell me their child scratched the flooring or caused the urine stains/odor instead of their dog, trying to say it's "normal wear and tear."  I'm not a lawyer and I've never had it challenged in an itemized security deposit notice, so no idea if it would hold up, but it's worked for me.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.