Neighbor's construction interferes with my property so roof leaks

Neighbor's construction interferes with my property so roof leaks

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Currently my flat roof itself doesn’t look old yet. No patch jobs anywhere so My former inspector concluded it might last another 4~5 years more but that was 10 months ago, when I purchased this property.  But the flat roofs are also well known for its headache, water leaking just a matter of when.  The extra walls added exacerbate the water leak risk due to water trapped into a narrow area.  The original flat roof was built for fully open and didn’t consider a completely new scenario like this.  The exterior wall the neighbor newly added has much better chance because it meets the newest building code.  Those material, products, and assemblies utilized on my existing exterior wall 30 years ago are very different. His contractor suggested might want to see about improving the condition of that portion of my wall if I am interested, since the contractor has to return and finish the new wall as part of his ongoing renovation in the coming weeks.  He said that doing any work will be completely at my discretion. They can also leave it exactly it was, in its current state.  I just emailed the neighbor and suggested also focus on the area when the wall meets the roof, weakest link. Things remain preliminary until a description available from his contractor for what’s to be done accordingly.  currently our family lives in the property purchased.  It is our second home for investment but has not be rented out yet.  I would like to receive your advise.  All input are welcome.  Thank you in advance,

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Inspector · Fort Lauderdale · Member since 2019 · 223 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    HI Adrian, as the inspector said, 5 years life expectancy, this will be like "it's holding but it is very old" usually when we give them 5 years is because there is no sign of leak or damage but it needs replacement very soon. I will suggest to replace the roof covering and have your mind and tenants in peace. Murphy laws, when you least expected or are short of cash, roof leaks will come. Is like the know this stuff. consult with this contractor and get a second opinion, it might be better for the future to update all of it. Good luck 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Reinaldo, many thanks for your advise.  Yes, I did ask my own roofers to come in and quoted for roof change.  But the point is that, before my roofers start their job, the new wall added by my neighbor changes the roof condition which need to meet a different requriement.  Would it be proper if I ask my nerighor cover the cost differnce due to his new wall added?  Such situation becomes complicated, when he offers a fix for free on my side before my  roof changs.  I don't know what standerd his fix will be based on.  I suspect, but I am not sure, his fix might just a simple patch.  If that happens to be the case and leak also happens later on, I am becoming the owner who doesn't make a good decision in the first place.  That is the reason why I am asking what his contractor will do.  And also I have to decide if he will be completely off any liablity after such a free of charge fix job he offers now.  I suspect that his contractor does many jobs like this and knows much more how to handle s situaiton like this but wouldn't openly inform me in the first place.  That is the reason I am expecting to receive insideful input from here.  All the input are welcome.  Please advise.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.