Autumn Property Management (Michigan)

Autumn Property Management (Michigan)

Rental Property Investor · Granite Bay, CA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes

Is anyone familiar with Autumn Property Management in Waterford, MI? They are taking over the PM duties from Proway (which was an arm of Strategic Properties, LLC). One source was optimistic that they'd be more responsive to and communicable with properties owners. It was my understanding that this transition would take place in January, but just yesterday I finally received a PM Agreement via DocuSign from them with essentially the same verbiage the Proway agreement. I'm stuck on the "Fee" Section...Why should I pay a $200 "Lease Renewal Fee" if the current tenant wishes to extend? This is a nominal cost. The second issue is under the "Term" section - Why should I agree to pay a $1000 finder's fee if I chose to sell the property prior to the end of this agreement which extends to 2/28/22? Autumn did NOT place this tenant!?

0Reply
347 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
3y

@Damon Riley you won't get anywhere with the city and the water affavit:( 

Even though a Michigan law requires the cities to do so for a 12+ month lease, there is no penalty for cities that do not comply.

The reason - the cities do NOT want to worry about collecting past due water bills! Currently, if a water bill is not paid, the city sells it to the county, then the county puts it on the property taxes with 12% penalties, and if you don't pay the taxes they foreclose.

This tenant has now become "addicted" to not paying water and extermely unlikely to change.

Start eviction now so they will be out by spring - the best time to find a new tenant.

Email us if you have any other questions as we don't do the DM thing here.

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    Appears the company was just created December, 2020

    https://cofs.lara.state.mi.us/...

    Interestingly, they have the exact same phone number as Proway Property Management on their website.

    So, what does this "2+2" scenario add up to....?

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Damon,

    I purchased four properties through Strategy Properties (three closed in November and the fourth one in December). I was set up with them through rent to retirement and Zach Lemaster. Zach has been a good guy to work with and I would recommend him as I have no issues with him- he is very responsive and helpful. I am in the same boat as you with this Proway property management switching to Autumn property management. I also received the new PM agreement last night and there is no way I am signing it. Both proway and Autumn have been terrible. I can't even get anyone on the phone when I call the office as it goes straight to voicemail every time. I'm sure as you can tell I am fed up and I am looking for new management as we speak. I have basically had to babysit them the whole time I've been with them because they never get anything right. I'd personally recommend looking elsewhere yourself but obviously that is up to you. Good luck man! 

  • Investor · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    I cannot recommend Strategy Properties or Autumn Prop Mgmt. Interestingly,  the PM staff I've worked with are the same at both companies. I asked about it but no straight answer. Hmmm.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I may not be happy with them as PM. I do think they were pretty clear on that they were sending the properties under management to another company, and that the staff could follow. Maybe what was less clear was that it was a new entity.

    It was promised the new company would provide better service, but I cannot really say that this has happened. If anything, it has gotten significantly worse.

  • Rental Property Investor · Granite Bay, CA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I can't argue with anything anyone is said.  EXACTLY my experience so far.  Real Wealth Network claims they've vetted the new owners and have a high level of confidence that they'll do better than Strategic Properties.  I had hoped that the new PM owners would reach out to the owners with a welcome letter, a phone call,  a video message or a conference call.....heck, I'd take an email.  Supposedly they have many years of experience, but I couldn't find that anywhere online..and most specifically with residential units in the Detroit area.   Really feels like nothing has changed (except physical location of PM company and owner portal)..I have same property manager and a big issue to solve.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    @Damon Riley 

    I'd ask for proof there are new owners. 

    This isn't the first time a Michael Jordan company has changed it's name...

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    I can echo the sentiments regarding Autumn Property Management.  Without exception, the worst PM services I've ever experienced.  Horrible customer service and no apparent structured system to manage properties and client relations.  ProWay was challenging as well, but Autumn takes poor service to a whole new level.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I do not want to post a lot publicly but here is some info.  Strategy did sales/management and then decided to put the management under ProWay.  In Feb/March of this year they sold off ProWay to Autumn.  From the clients I have spoken too this has done nothing to improve their services, but this is only second hand from unhappy clients.  I am passing on their opinions as I have no first hand knowledge.  

    We have taken over management for several of Autumn/Strategy/ProWay's former clients and are happy to chat with anyone who is not happy with their services.  We are familiar with the issues and have had many many successful transitions for their former clients. 

    Also, Every client that has left and joined us is willing to talk to current Autumn clients.  Well, all but one.  We have one in the process of transitioning as I type this and they don't have the experience with us yet as we don't fully take over until June 1st.  All other clients of Autumn have agreed to talk to others in the same boat they were prior to the transition.   A few weeks back one of their former clients who own property in several states asked us if we could teach all their other property managers how to manage properties like adults lol.  

    If you are not happy, DM me here and happy to talk to you about our services and get you in touch with former clients of Autumn and they can vocalize how things are going for them now VS how it was going.  I can promise you this, the complaints you have are common across those that I have talked too.  You are not alone.  

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    I have had the same experience with this property manager.  I keep getting different stories about the situation with my tenant.  First, they said the lease was not renewed and now they tell me the payment is delinquent and they are moving ahead with an eviction.  Payments have also been very spotty.  Since this is my first experience owning a rental, I wasn't sure if this was normal or not.  After reading this thread, I realize it is not.  I will DM you Scott M.

  • Investor · Castaic, CA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    I am in the same boat, but didn't get the clue until recently and have discovered what Autumn has not done with my property.  No inspections whatsoever, lease lapsed and no interest in managing property. I have cancelled management agreement and they are unresponsive.  I wish RWN had followed provided communication about this problem when their clients started experiencing problems with Proway and Autumn.  This OOS has turned out to be the worst performing property of all my rentals, and to top it off the management has been terrible.  I hope to have better results from new management!

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I ended up switching to Tradewinds PM. It has only been a little over a month, and I note that things are being taken care of. They definitely walk their talk.

    With Autumn/Proway rental registrations lapsed, issues not fixed etc etc. I got a call from a city official about rental registration being late, and it was clear that they have had several issues with Autumn/Proway. 

    It is a hassle to switch PM, and you never know if the grass is really greener on the other side (for me it is significantly better with Tradewinds). If you stay with Autumn to manage your properties, make sure they respond promptly in your questions and concerns. If not, keep calling and emailing them. Ask them for proof of e.g. rental registrations, so that you know you are in compliance. I regret not switching earlier.

  • Investor · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    Has anyone hired an attorney to try collect rent tenants paid Autumn Property Mgmt but rents not never received by owner? 

  • Investor · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 33 votes
    5y



    I wanted to touch base 6 months after the Strategy Properties transition and see if there are others who can share wisdom/tips/suggestions.

    We are still owed a lot of money from Autumn Property Management/Strategy Properties.  We never signed a mgmt agreement w/Autumn.   After talking w/my RWN advisor when the 'assignment" to Autumn from Strategy Properties happened, he recommended a different property manager and implied that several RWN staff had moved their properties to them not Autumn.  He recommended Real Property Management Metro Detroit.  So our properties were only briefly in the hands of Autumn (no signed Prop Mgmt Agreement) but it was enough time so they owe us money.

    RPM Metro Detroit.  It's been bumpy.  We have 4 Detroit SFs.  Two were vacant when we assigned them over (mismanagement by SP/Autumn).  It took RPM 3 months to get the re-rent work completed on the one and it's finally leased. The other, however, after 4 months still doesn't have the re-rent work done and sits vacant.  Originally we were told they had in-house staff for most routine things, which is always good.  However, they have struggled with getting the work done. I've found it necessary to follow up regularly to make sure things are moving.  We have been waiting for carpet replacement for instance.  They went out and were surprised the water and electricity had been turned off, for at least a month. It was explained that they were having major issues with their 3rd party carpet vendors and other one-off reasons things weren't getting done.  Deja Vu.  So, I guess I'll just ask the obvious question ... has anyone had issues with Real Property Management Metro Detroit?  They sure seemed to be a good fit when I interviewed them.  The individuals I've worked directly with are pleasant, get back to me usually within a day or so but do seem overworked, especially after taking on all the poorly managed SP/Autumn accounts.  Frankly, I'm a little gun-shy and doubting my skills to flush out a good PM with integrity.  I'm wondering if this is just a blip as they get all the new accounts settled in or if it's the same warning signs it took me too long to act on before in Detroit.  Changing PMs is awful -- especially if you have any properties with rent assistance!   Please DM me to talk further if you're not comfortable posting publicly, I get it.  I hesitated to share quite so much information but this forum has been an invaluable resource to me personally.  So thank you for that!

  • Investor · Castaic, CA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Lisa T. I have been considering same thing. They don’t respond to me and then when they reach out they claim my email is wrong… I think it’s to create a paper trail to “show” they have communicated with landlord. Their accounting is messed up so I am having issues trying to figure out what they owe me.

    I really wish RWN has stepped in sooner to assist with issues of PM… due diligence only works so much and we rely on their relationships with third parties.

    I recently switched to RPM and initially it was presented as a smooth transition… not so. Section 8 is a problem on these transitions and found out about that later. Kind of wonder if I’m walking into the woods again.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    THE WORST property management co., if you can call it that, you'll ever encounter. In the 4-5 years I've been with them, they've changed names/managment 3-4 times! There's no follow thru or follow up. No one responds in a timely manner. You send them multiple emails & phone calls & no one does anything but give you the run around. They've kept part of my past tenants' security deposit after the tenant left, and said to contact the previous managment co. because they're not responsible. (I didn't change mgmt co's, they changed ownership, or got bought out... whatever the case.) Then there's the "operating mgr" Randy Saylor that is so unprofessional! ! He talks to you like he doesn't realize that you're the property owner that PAYS them to manage the property... DO NOT USE THEM!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    We've heard that from several owners:(

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote
    4y

    I had the same problem with these companies. They have changed names 3 times and when Autumn took over in December 2020 I lost $8533 both Proway and Autumn say they don't have the money, I am now taking legal against them. Anyone else loose money?

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    My PM starts work at 10am, takes a lunch break at 11:30, and ends work at 3pm.  He takes random days off without notice and can be found biking or fishing when he should be working.  He thinks he is a decent handyman but usually and breaks two things while repairing one thing. 

    He selects great tenants, takes care of the properties and charges 0%. 

  • Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 53 votes
    4y

    @Stephen Allen curious how did you/they lose your money?  Is it a security deposit issue?  I'm worried I won't get those back.  I do think there was some shoddy accounting when things were transferred over, could never quite reconcile.

    Autumn has been unimpressive to say the least, about the same as ProWay I would say.  I'm lucky that I have a great PM who works really hard, but she's overloaded and so doesn't have time to do a great job.  I've had to take repairs and other issues on myself, and I think they've lost me some money in mismanaging issues (eg cut off from section 8 payments for a violation notice that they 'saw too late'.)

    I would never want to be a PM in that market!  Glad to say I'm closing on the sale of one duplex and so just one to go... can't wait to be out of Detroit.  Anybody want to buy a good duplex in East English Village?? :)

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    4y

    Autumn Property Management = RUN

    They have been horrible to deal with.  I never received my owner’s draw monthly and only received it when I inquired but they seemed to get paid every month.  They were unresponsive to the tenant and bad mouthed me and my selling agent to the tenant!   I’m out thousands of dollars because they didn’t make sure the tenant paid the water bill and failed to notify me even when they provided the last statement.  They didn’t do a walk through because if they had, they would have charged the tenant for the crayon in the bathroom and the unkept lawn which the city charged me for.   I copied Randy Saylor when I didn’t receive a response and he replied that I was harassing THEM and that his legal team was involved.  I welcome the opportunity to showcase their horrible business practices and hopefully make sure no one else has this experience.   Oh, and I still haven’t received my last month’s owners draw nor my reserve amount. HORRIBLE!  

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Stephen Allen:

    I had the same problem with these companies. They have changed names 3 times and when Autumn took over in December 2020 I lost $8533 both Proway and Autumn say they don't have the money, I am now taking legal against them. Anyone else loose money?


     Hi Stephen and all other investors that deal with Autumn Property Management.  I'm sure we all have had and are still having bad experiences with APM and if anyone one has consulted an attorney, please lets do this together.   They are committing Froud with all their business practices.

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Lisa T.:

    Has anyone hired an attorney to try collect rent tenants paid Autumn Property Mgmt but rents not never received by owner? 


     Hi Lisa, I just joined today and was wondering if you ever got any response to anyone connecting with an attorney to file Fraud charges against APM?

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Good day, Since there are so many dissatisfied property owners with Autumn Property Management, why is there no complaints with BBB?

    I have placed one today on the BBB site as I have been defrauded by this APM co and intend to follow-up with an Attorney.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I posted a complaint on BBB years back & they immediately called me asking me to remove it and they’d perform much better. I told them prove it first for a year, then I’d remove it. Needless to say, I didn’t remove it!

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Geraldine Araneda:

    I posted a complaint on BBB years back & they immediately called me asking me to remove it and they’d perform much better. I told them prove it first for a year, then I’d remove it. Needless to say, I didn’t remove it!

    The two that I posted today including a review was rejected?
    I’m going to spread word on other platforms 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.