Rental Property in Harrisburg,PA

Rental Property in Harrisburg,PA

Rental Property Investor · Downingtown, PA · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 11 votes

Hi everyone.

I got my first property in Harrisburg, PA last year and I have been renting it by the room. I have someone who was helping me manage the properties. He also has his own properties in the area and he is also a handyman so he was also my maintenance guy. He has been so hard to deal with lately. For e.g He would take time to do repairs, collect the rent and take a very long time to transfer/send the money into my account upto 2weeks. I made a decision last weekend that I wanted to take over and do the management myself. I have met all the tenants in the house except for one lady because she just moved in last month. I would like to meet this new tenant and introduce myself, problem is I do not have the phone number of this new tenant and he is refusing (indirectly) to give me the tenants number until he talks to her first.

According to him the tenant does a live in job and he’s saying she’s not always home and he doesnt know when she will be home next. He says he had lied to the tenant that he owns the property and now he doesnt want to look stupid or look like a liar so he would like to tell the tenant in person and explain that he sold the house and the new owner will be taking over management of the house (something like that). He refuses to tell this to her over the phone.

When I ask him when that will happen he said he doesnt know when she will be off from work, when I ask for the tenant’s number he says he cannot give it to me until he talks to her first, which leaves me with a few options here.l. I do not have the phone nunber of this tenant and I am wondering what’s really going on here. Why cant he just tell her on the phone all this. We have been going back and forth about this for a few days now. All the tenants have paid rent for the month of July. Should I just leave it and wait until he gives me this new tenant’s number? I am not sure if there’s more to this. He sounded angry on the phone when we spoke today, he didnt say it but i know he is not happy about my decision to manage the properties.

I would like to change locks for the whole house but I cannot do this until I have been in touch with the new tenant so that she doesnt get any surprises coming to a house that has new locks. I live 75mins away from Harrisburg. Sorry to write a long story. I would appreciate everyone’s help on this issue. Thank you all in advance.

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y

    You are in a quite the predicament....you need to get control of this right quick! It is your property and you are liable for everything. Go visit in person the new tenant you haven't met yet. Go say hi to all the tenants and let them know that you are the owner and will be handling everything from this point forward. Get rid of this guy who has been using....errrr helping you. There are plenty of handymen around. Do an accounting and make sure that you have every dime that you are due.

    Those are my first thoughts....you'll get more from the crowd, probably much better ones.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.