Finding a property owner in Canada

Finding a property owner in Canada

Brockville, Ontario · Member since 2022 · 36 posts · 27 votes

I just finished listening to BP Episode 605 with Christian & Cody where they spent some time talking about reaching out and connecting with multi-family property owners that they're interested in. They find the name of the building owner by going to the tax assessor (for property taxes) website for the county their interested in, plunking in the address and voila. I gave it a try myself on a random US property and it worked well! 

But how do you do this in Canada?? I know that all land is registered and documents are kept with the Ontario Land Registry Office, but all documents seem to be behind a paywall. I did a search on my own property and voila, there's my name! But the government charged my $33.80 for the info! ouch  From what I've read in forums, it used to be cheaper, around $8, so not sure when the price increase occurred, but at that price, it's pretty hard to justify casually looking up properties and make cold calls for that price. 

Does anyone know of any other strategies? (Aside from simply going to the building, bugging a tenant, and trying to get the info from them!) 

1Reply
137 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
4y
Quote from @Jamie Blair:

I just finished listening to BP Episode 605 with Christian & Cody where they spent some time talking about reaching out and connecting with multi-family property owners that they're interested in. They find the name of the building owner by going to the tax assessor (for property taxes) website for the county their interested in, plunking in the address and voila. I gave it a try myself on a random US property and it worked well! 

But how do you do this in Canada?? I know that all land is registered and documents are kept with the Ontario Land Registry Office, but all documents seem to be behind a paywall. I did a search on my own property and voila, there's my name! But the government charged my $33.80 for the info! ouch  From what I've read in forums, it used to be cheaper, around $8, so not sure when the price increase occurred, but at that price, it's pretty hard to justify casually looking up properties and make cold calls for that price. 

Does anyone know of any other strategies? (Aside from simply going to the building, bugging a tenant, and trying to get the info from them!) 


 In Alberta you can use Spin2 to find title information 

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Kitchener, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 370 votes
    4y

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jamie Blair:

    I just finished listening to BP Episode 605 with Christian & Cody where they spent some time talking about reaching out and connecting with multi-family property owners that they're interested in. They find the name of the building owner by going to the tax assessor (for property taxes) website for the county their interested in, plunking in the address and voila. I gave it a try myself on a random US property and it worked well! 

    But how do you do this in Canada?? I know that all land is registered and documents are kept with the Ontario Land Registry Office, but all documents seem to be behind a paywall. I did a search on my own property and voila, there's my name! But the government charged my $33.80 for the info! ouch  From what I've read in forums, it used to be cheaper, around $8, so not sure when the price increase occurred, but at that price, it's pretty hard to justify casually looking up properties and make cold calls for that price. 

    Does anyone know of any other strategies? (Aside from simply going to the building, bugging a tenant, and trying to get the info from them!) 


     In Alberta you can use Spin2 to find title information 

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Jamie Blair:

    I just finished listening to BP Episode 605 with Christian & Cody where they spent some time talking about reaching out and connecting with multi-family property owners that they're interested in. They find the name of the building owner by going to the tax assessor (for property taxes) website for the county their interested in, plunking in the address and voila. I gave it a try myself on a random US property and it worked well! 

    But how do you do this in Canada?? I know that all land is registered and documents are kept with the Ontario Land Registry Office, but all documents seem to be behind a paywall. I did a search on my own property and voila, there's my name! But the government charged my $33.80 for the info! ouch  From what I've read in forums, it used to be cheaper, around $8, so not sure when the price increase occurred, but at that price, it's pretty hard to justify casually looking up properties and make cold calls for that price. 

    Does anyone know of any other strategies? (Aside from simply going to the building, bugging a tenant, and trying to get the info from them!) 


     In Alberta you can use Spin2 to find title information 

    Cost is $10 + gst (last time I used it)
  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Jamie Blair:

    I just finished listening to BP Episode 605 with Christian & Cody where they spent some time talking about reaching out and connecting with multi-family property owners that they're interested in. They find the name of the building owner by going to the tax assessor (for property taxes) website for the county their interested in, plunking in the address and voila. I gave it a try myself on a random US property and it worked well! 

    But how do you do this in Canada?? I know that all land is registered and documents are kept with the Ontario Land Registry Office, but all documents seem to be behind a paywall. I did a search on my own property and voila, there's my name! But the government charged my $33.80 for the info! ouch  From what I've read in forums, it used to be cheaper, around $8, so not sure when the price increase occurred, but at that price, it's pretty hard to justify casually looking up properties and make cold calls for that price. 

    Does anyone know of any other strategies? (Aside from simply going to the building, bugging a tenant, and trying to get the info from them!) 


     In Alberta you can use Spin2 to find title information 

    Cost is $10 + gst (last time I used it)

     Yes which isn't bad at all, you can do free searches but it will not display the owner on title

  • Member since 2018 · 47 posts · 16 votes
    4y

    It's not easy to find owner names in Canada, getting a realtor will help. You could also try 411 or whitepages and do a reverse lookup.

  • Investor · Van Isle · Member since 2021 · 455 posts · 226 votes
    4y

    In BC, title searches are $10 on LTSA. In Saskatchewan, ISC lists the owners names without charge. 

  • Lender · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Jamie Blair

    If you pull the title on the property you are interested in, all of the owners info will be listed on that document

  • Ottawa, ON · Member since 2023 · 110 posts · 32 votes
    3y

    @Jamie Blair I'm facing the exact same issue right now. I've tried everything. Have you succeeded in your search? If so how did you do it, I would really appreciate the reply. All the best luck to you! 

  • Ottawa, ON · Member since 2023 · 110 posts · 32 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


    Any chance someone without a license can get this information? I'm currently 21 struggling with the same issue.

  • Ottawa, ON · Member since 2023 · 110 posts · 32 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Owen Langis:

    @Jamie Blair

    If you pull the title on the property you are interested in, all of the owners info will be listed on that document


     How can you pull the title if you don't know who the owner is? I'm currently struggling with this issue as well.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Kitchener, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 370 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


    Any chance someone without a license can get this information? I'm currently 21 struggling with the same issue.


     Yes - you can go to the land titles office and pay for each search.  I am not sure what the fee is now.

  • Ottawa, ON · Member since 2023 · 110 posts · 32 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Jamie Blair:

    I just finished listening to BP Episode 605 with Christian & Cody where they spent some time talking about reaching out and connecting with multi-family property owners that they're interested in. They find the name of the building owner by going to the tax assessor (for property taxes) website for the county their interested in, plunking in the address and voila. I gave it a try myself on a random US property and it worked well! 

    But how do you do this in Canada?? I know that all land is registered and documents are kept with the Ontario Land Registry Office, but all documents seem to be behind a paywall. I did a search on my own property and voila, there's my name! But the government charged my $33.80 for the info! ouch  From what I've read in forums, it used to be cheaper, around $8, so not sure when the price increase occurred, but at that price, it's pretty hard to justify casually looking up properties and make cold calls for that price. 

    Does anyone know of any other strategies? (Aside from simply going to the building, bugging a tenant, and trying to get the info from them!) 


     In Alberta you can use Spin2 to find title information 


     Is this only offered in alberta? Do you know any other way?

  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


    Any chance someone without a license can get this information? I'm currently 21 struggling with the same issue.


     You can use spin2, no need to a license but it is $10 per land title and not very user friendly 

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


    Any chance someone without a license can get this information? I'm currently 21 struggling with the same issue.


     You can use spin2, no need to a license but it is $10 per land title and not very user friendly 


     Spin2 is Alberta I believe. Each province has their own system. I have used Spin2 in Calgary a lot but the owner information doesn't give you much other than a name and an address. Some times the property is owned by a company so you don't even get a name. 

  • Ottawa, ON · Member since 2023 · 110 posts · 32 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


    Any chance someone without a license can get this information? I'm currently 21 struggling with the same issue.


     You can use spin2, no need to a license but it is $10 per land title and not very user friendly 


     Spin2 is Alberta I believe. Each province has their own system. I have used Spin2 in Calgary a lot but the owner information doesn't give you much other than a name and an address. Some times the property is owned by a company so you don't even get a name. 

     @Stevo Sun Is there anyway to know in advance if it's a business or corperation that owns the property before payment? I don't mind paying but. if I cant get results it's almost not worth it.

  • Ottawa, ON · Member since 2023 · 110 posts · 32 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


    Any chance someone without a license can get this information? I'm currently 21 struggling with the same issue.


     You can use spin2, no need to a license but it is $10 per land title and not very user friendly 


     Spin2 is Alberta I believe. Each province has their own system. I have used Spin2 in Calgary a lot but the owner information doesn't give you much other than a name and an address. Some times the property is owned by a company so you don't even get a name. 

    Okay, thanks for the reply I appreciate your time!
  • Ottawa, ON · Member since 2023 · 110 posts · 32 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


    Any chance someone without a license can get this information? I'm currently 21 struggling with the same issue.


     Yes - you can go to the land titles office and pay for each search.  I am not sure what the fee is now.


    Thanks for the information, I really appreciate your time. Will look into this!

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


    Any chance someone without a license can get this information? I'm currently 21 struggling with the same issue.


     You can use spin2, no need to a license but it is $10 per land title and not very user friendly 


     Spin2 is Alberta I believe. Each province has their own system. I have used Spin2 in Calgary a lot but the owner information doesn't give you much other than a name and an address. Some times the property is owned by a company so you don't even get a name. 

     @Stevo Sun Is there anyway to know in advance if it's a business or corperation that owns the property before payment? I don't mind paying but. if I cant get results it's almost not worth it.


     Not that I know of. I usually just bite the bullet and pay the $10 per title. 

  • Ottawa, ON · Member since 2023 · 110 posts · 32 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


    Any chance someone without a license can get this information? I'm currently 21 struggling with the same issue.


     Yes - you can go to the land titles office and pay for each search.  I am not sure what the fee is now.


     Do you know what these websites are called by any chance?

  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Roy Cleeves:

    Hi again

    For property titles you will find that Realtors and Mortgage agents have access to websites that they pay for that give Iwner names.  

    Sometimes these names are company names and that may be harder to get to the actual person that can make the decision. 

    Best to work with Your Realtor of Choice and or mortgage broker of choice.  


    Any chance someone without a license can get this information? I'm currently 21 struggling with the same issue.


     You can use spin2, no need to a license but it is $10 per land title and not very user friendly 


     Spin2 is Alberta I believe. Each province has their own system. I have used Spin2 in Calgary a lot but the owner information doesn't give you much other than a name and an address. Some times the property is owned by a company so you don't even get a name. 

     @Stevo Sun Is there anyway to know in advance if it's a business or corperation that owns the property before payment? I don't mind paying but. if I cant get results it's almost not worth it.


     Not that I know of. I usually just bite the bullet and pay the $10 per title. 


     That's right, you can't really see the information until you pay

  • Lender · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Chicquen:
    Quote from @Owen Langis:

    @Jamie Blair

    If you pull the title on the property you are interested in, all of the owners info will be listed on that document


     How can you pull the title if you don't know who the owner is? I'm currently struggling with this issue as well.


     Where is the property located?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.