BRRRR Illegal basement Suite Refinance

BRRRR Illegal basement Suite Refinance

Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 1 vote

If I BRRRR a property with an illegal basement suite will I get screwed on the refinance? I don't think I can make it legal because there is a requirement for multiple parking spaces which would be impossible to do. So I wouldn't be able to count the gross rent from the basement … :/

0Reply
120 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
4y
Quote from @Lorie Alexandria:

If I BRRRR a property with an illegal basement suite will I get screwed on the refinance? I don't think I can make it legal because there is a requirement for multiple parking spaces which would be impossible to do. So I wouldn't be able to count the gross rent from the basement … :/


 Indeed lenders can't count the income from the illegal suites, what they would usually do is use the rent that you would get if renting the whole place as 1 unit. Are you sure you have no parking or garage options to meet the requirement?

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Well if parking is the only thing making it illegal, then that is better. Were there permits pulled when it was made into a separate unit? Everything up to code? This is important......

    But then I would go get a variance, or lease a parking place from a neighbor.....

  • Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Funny enough the other side of the duplex is also for sale lol I'd love to buy it. It's 100,000 dollars more ...but owning both would give me alllll the parking. I'll have to ask the city about the original permits, correct? 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Lorie Alexandria:

    Funny enough the other side of the duplex is also for sale lol I'd love to buy it. It's 100,000 dollars more ...but owning both would give me alllll the parking. I'll have to ask the city about the original permits, correct? 


    Yes, a simple call or visit to the Building Department will uncover all permits ever pulled for the property. Just ask for the permit history. It is good to know anyway. If no permit was pulled for the basement dwelling, you will have to ask how to make it legal (or if you can)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.