Washer / Dryer combo in the kitchen cabinets

Washer / Dryer combo in the kitchen cabinets

Kelowna, BC · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 19 votes

I am looking for a washer/drying (for clothes not dishes) that are designed to be installed in a kitchen under the cabinets.

I know this is VERY unusual for Canada which is why I am having a hard time finding such a thing, but it is very common in Europe and Asia.

I have a very small apartment with no washer/dryer and the cost to run the plumbing and electric is prohibitive so if I can fit one under the kitchen counters next to the sink it would make my life much easier.

Anyone know of a model available in Canada?

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 564 posts · 425 votes
9y

@Robert Gunther I had a similar ventless unit for a while. It wasn't feasible to run an exhaust vent in the older condo that wasn't built with en suite laundry, so this was the alternative I installed. It worked well, just took a long time to do a load. An advantage was that if your clothes could be tumble dried, you could simply turn it on to wash and dry, and it would go through the whole cycle without needing to move anything from the washer to the dryer.

The disadvantage? The full wash/dry would take almost 4 hours. I would often just start a load when I went to work so it would be done when I got home, so it wasn't too big a problem.

Personally, I like them for spaces that have limitations. I believe you can find some ventless units for around $1,500.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kelowna, BC · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    I think I may have found one!  Looks like an LG WM3488HW is designed to be placed under a counter, since it is 33.75 inches in height and offers vent-less drying.

    A bit pricey but looks like it would work.  Anyone know of any others?

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Robert Gunther

    The under counter all-in-one units are common in Europe, but rare here.  LG, Bosch and Miele are the only ones I've seen over here.   I have been told that RV outfitters may carry more as these units are used in trailers and large (bus type) RVs.

    Another thing to keep in-mind is that an all-in-one (washer/dryer) unit will be foreign to your tenants.  The drying time of such a unit is longer than a conventional electric or gas clothes dryer and many tenants will find it unacceptable.

    Another option is a front-load "apartment size" washer & dryer.  These are 24" appliances so their capacity will be less, however, many are only 32 - 34" in height.

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    We had one in our last houseboat and it was worthless.  You couldn't wash more than a handful of things at a time and never dry enough.  Maybe we had a bad unit or didn't know how to use it.  @Roy N. is correct, they are all over Europe.  Would try to find a way to install a stack unit if possible.

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 564 posts · 425 votes
    9y

    @Robert Gunther I had a similar ventless unit for a while. It wasn't feasible to run an exhaust vent in the older condo that wasn't built with en suite laundry, so this was the alternative I installed. It worked well, just took a long time to do a load. An advantage was that if your clothes could be tumble dried, you could simply turn it on to wash and dry, and it would go through the whole cycle without needing to move anything from the washer to the dryer.

    The disadvantage? The full wash/dry would take almost 4 hours. I would often just start a load when I went to work so it would be done when I got home, so it wasn't too big a problem.

    Personally, I like them for spaces that have limitations. I believe you can find some ventless units for around $1,500.

  • Windsor, ON · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I found this for $1,500, i don't know about this brand, i would get extra warranty probably, it might work as well:

    http://www.canadianappliance.ca/HLC1700AXW.html

  • Investor · San Jose, CA, Bellevue, WA · Member since 2016 · 327 posts · 257 votes
    9y
    Robert Gunther , I have some experience with this. Owned a fagor brand model which I would not recommend (only dried approx 90%) Built a 'high end' kitchen for a tiny house client (long story) and put in this unit...LG WM3488HS Front-Loading Electric Washer/Dryer That LG model is very nice. Good capacity, excellent washing and drying, very balanced and quiet. Basically fits in a standard 24 inch opening under cabinet just like a dishwasher would.
    • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Christian Wathne:
      Robert Gunther , I have some experience with this. Owned a fagor brand model which I would not recommend (only dried approx 90%) Built a 'high end' kitchen for a tiny house client (long story) and put in this unit...LG WM3488HS Front-Loading Electric Washer/Dryer That LG model is very nice. Good capacity, excellent washing and drying, very balanced and quiet. Basically fits in a standard 24 inch opening under cabinet just like a dishwasher would.

       Did it stick out much from the counter ?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.