New to BP, learning as much as I can.

New to BP, learning as much as I can.

New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes

New to BP as of today. I'm in the Rhode Island area. I'm 27 and trying to soak in as much knowledge as possible. My girlfriend is scared/skeptical about this idea of house hacking with a multi family. Did anyone else have this issue?

If so what steps or guides worked for you to help educate and sway your significant other?

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Min ZhangBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

Welcome to BP Gervin! I had a similar convo when I first brought up the idea too. What helped me was running through real numbers and walking through properties together so it didn’t feel so abstract. It’s easy to say “we’ll cash flow,” but actually seeing how it could lower our living costs made it click. Also found that podcast episodes and youtubes from others who’ve done it helped normalize the idea. Sometimes it's just about planting the seed and letting them warm up to it over time. Curious—have you both toured any properties yet?

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hi and welcome! 

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Welcome to BP Gervin! I had a similar convo when I first brought up the idea too. What helped me was running through real numbers and walking through properties together so it didn’t feel so abstract. It’s easy to say “we’ll cash flow,” but actually seeing how it could lower our living costs made it click. Also found that podcast episodes and youtubes from others who’ve done it helped normalize the idea. Sometimes it's just about planting the seed and letting them warm up to it over time. Curious—have you both toured any properties yet?

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Thank you for the feedback, I'm going to start exploring the podcasts and YouTube video's. No we haven't toured any properties this actually a good idea to expose use to this. Thank you!

  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 531 posts · 203 votes
    1y

    Welcome to BP, @Gervin Mujo Jr . It's normal for your girlfriend to feel unsure at first.  Podcasts and videos help, but nothing beats seeing how it could work for you two specifically. What helped me was walking through real numbers and checking out a few properties together. It made the idea feel more real and less risky. Keep the convo going and give it time to sink in.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.