My wife and I are having a hard time figuring out how to weigh the use of capital for future costs vs our monthly payment. Liquid cash on hand is not a problem for us now, but we need our monthly payment to be manageable. Our monthly income is not high so we don't know whether to put more money down to lower the monthly payment or to put less money down because we would need it for rehab and a future downpayment on another home since we don't expect to be living that long in the home we are looking to buy.
Real Estate Broker · Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2020 · 193 posts · 163 votes
5y
Hi Jonathon - it really comes down to what you are comfortable with. My approach these day is with interest rates being so low, I try to take as much debt as I am comfortable with and to keep cash on hand for other opportunities as well as for peace of mind.
If you used more of your capital for a down payment, where would you get the funds to do capital improvements?