Whitener & Flynn Properties LLC Management - St. Louis

Whitener & Flynn Properties LLC Management - St. Louis

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

To anyone has been affected by the closure of Whitener & Flynn Properties LLC Management company out of St. Louis, MO:

BiggerPockets is creating a private discussion area on this forum where we can all share information and help one another out.

On July 5, 2007, Whitener & Flynn Properties LLC sent out letters to the owners of the properties that they were managing saying that the company would be shutting down on July 10, 2007. Not only did they close with essentially no notice, but it appears that many owners have not gotten paid their money (rents & security deposits) from this company.

The firm's partners - Travis Whitener and Amber Flynn seem to be unreachable at this time, and appear to not be returning phone calls. In addition, other realtors at the firm including Ann Schrodt and Amy Jones are also not returning calls or emails from what I'm told.

FYI - I am one of the property owners that has been affected by this situation.

[b]If you would like to join in on this discussion, please notify me directly, or just reply to this thread.
[/b]
Together, hopefully we can keep one another informed of the situation and work together to make sure everyone gets taken care of.

For everyone's info here are some numbers (these will be updated as more people join in):

Number of WF Clients: 8
Number of Properties Managed: 16 (3-4plexes, 1-3plex, 4-duplexes, 8-SF homes)
Number of units under management: 31
Number of Tenants under management: 29
Money owed to owners: $21,300

Note that the above info is just a tiny portion of the clients of WF. It seems like people have been somewhat reluctant to speak out, but we will continue to gather data to share with everyone.

Thank you,

0Reply
151 views

57 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    BTW - I've been blogging about the situation . . . if anyone is at all interested, check out:
    Whitener & Flynn Properties LLC - A Property Management Company's Sudden Shutdown

  • Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes
    19y

    Number of Properties Managed: 1
    Number of units under management: 2
    Number of Tenants under management: 2
    Money owed to owners: $2,300

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    UPDATE:
    I received the following response to my recent blog entry from Amber Flynn:

  • Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    I would love to join the private blog. How do I do that?

    Thank you.

    K.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y
    Originally posted by "KFoster":
    I would love to join the private blog. How do I do that?

    Thank you.

    K.

    Done.

  • Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Please put me on the list for the private discussion for Whitener and Flynn Property Management issue. THANKS

  • Boonies, PA · Member since 2008 · 333 posts · 15 votes
    19y

    I want in.. Maybe I can avoid some mistakes.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y
    Originally posted by "mach":
    I want in.. Maybe I can avoid some mistakes.

    This is only for clients . . . sorry.

    Scott - you're set.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    UPDATE:
    A new business was established on 6/26/2007 by Amy Jones who was an employee at Whitener & Flynn - Mastermind Enterprises, LLC d/b/a Gateway Select Properties (see company info) - which happens to exist at the new address given by WF last month as their new, future place of business. This company, from what different sources have reported, has registered with the MO Secretary of State and association of Realtors.

    Upon doing a google search for the company, the following website came up: http://www.interstatehb.com/
    Which appears to be the Hotel Brokerage arm of Gateway Select Properties. The website was registered on July 7, 2007.

    Furthermore, it also appears as though Gateway Select Properties is also in the property management business. There is a craigslist posting: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/378447824.html - where the company is seeking to lease a 2/1 unit. The contact info for the company can be found at:

    Gateway Select Properties
    314 241 1041
    [email protected]

    If you know any more about this company, or what business they are in, please let us know by posting in our Private Discussion Area (ask and I'll give you access if you're an ex-client of WF). Please let us know if Amber or Travis are working there . . . thanks!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    UPDATE:
    I just got a call from Amber Flynn & Travis Whitener. Amber told me that I am on their list to receive my money this week. She told me I should have it by Friday . . .

    I'll keep you all posted.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    19y

    I really have to question their statement that they are contractually obligated to make repairs. Perhaps there is some local statute that applies, but in my experience, if an owner cannot afford to make repairs, it is simply a "constructive eviction" situation and the tenants need to move out. The PM company always requests funds in advance for any project that the normal monthly cash flow will not cover in the routine billing cycle. In fact, for any project generally over $5000, we require the owner to sign the contract directly with the vendor.

    If they were foolish enough to offer a management agreement that said they would pay out of their operating account and ask for reimbursement from the owner after, then that is just poor business practice. I'd sure like to see their mgmt agreement.

    Furthermore, if they used money from other client accounts to pay bills, someone could be going to the greybar...

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2008 · 91 posts · 10 votes
    19y

    I also have been affected by the closure of Whitener and Flynn,I am curious to find out who are some of you using for property management.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    We were also using whitner and flynn's for peroperty management and were surprised by their sudden decision to close the business.
    Pls let me know if you have new leads for new property management company. Also keep me posted and include me in your blog
    Thanks

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    You now have access to the private WF area of these forums.

    Just go to: http://forums.biggerpockets.com//viewforum.php?f=98
    OR, you will see it as the first topic category on the main forum page.

    As for management companies, I can't recommend any, however I'd be happy to share my notes with you if you throw me a name or two.

    Best,

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2008 · 91 posts · 10 votes
    19y

    Thanks! What do you think about decca realty they offer property management services.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y
    Originally posted by "regrealtor":
    Thanks! What do you think about decca realty they offer property management services.

    I had a lot of problems with Deca - they were the company I used prior to Whitener & Flynn. They did a terrible job with my properties. I'd be happy to tell you about it in private, but I strongly recommend you look at other companies instead.

  • Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes
    19y

    Hello all. Wow…this is a shock to me…I rented an apartment from W&F LLC from October 2006 until January 2007. There were some domestic issues (I feared for my safety, as well as that of an unborn child at the time) that I will not go into which caused me to have to terminate my lease early. Basically, I left the apartment still owing them monies for rent (per the lease I signed, early termination fees, plus rent still owed for the last month I was there). Financially I was in a bind and unable to pay anything. I never contacted them to make payment arrangements after I knew I would never return to the apartment. The lease indicates that I would owe them court costs plus sec. deposit plus rent owed…In talking with a new potential landlord I discover that I must find out if this has been turned into a judgement; if so, I've got to pay it off before pretty much anyone will let me rent from them again.

    This morning I come to the computer to look up the number for W&F LLC, only to find out that they are now out of business. My question: do I still owe the money? how do I find out how much I owe (the mailbox to that 481-2567 number is full, and I doubt they would return my calls)? I'm not at all sure who to speak to at this point. Any help and advice anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

    P.S. - in case anybody was wondering, the baby was born 07-14-2007, and very healthy. :D

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2008 · 91 posts · 10 votes
    19y

    Thanks for the info on Decca. What about EFTHIM Company Realtors?

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2008 · 91 posts · 10 votes
    19y

    Any info on Eaton Property Management?

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    I don't have any info on Eaton.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    Efthim looked good to me after conducting my interview with them, but a friend of mine worked with them and wasn't completely happy. I decided to take his word for it. If not for him, I would have likely chosen them to work with.

    I encourage you to meet with them and do an interview. See what you think.

  • Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    To formertenant:

    it is admirable that you are concerned about what you owe your prior landlord. Most tenants just try to walk away.

    If you had to break your lease because of trouble with other tenants in the building, you may owe nothing provided you can prove that (ie letters to WFP or the owner, police reports, etc.) But I am not here to give advice on that.

    As far as collection of the money, the owner is the one who would have to file against you since WFP is defunct and hopefully thinking about the upcoming fraud charges that will most likely be filed against them. I wouldn't worry about them.

    As far as the situation goes, anybody who reads that goofy cry-baby letter from Amber knows S$%# when they see S$%%. I think they are going to try to use bad business planning as a defense for losing our Law-protected escrowed monies. Unfortunately, neither the LLC protection or the negligence defense they will try will hold up.

    After two management companies have burnt down on me, I am taking my management in my own hands again. I do have advice for people who are using management companies though.

    Keep your deposits and tax and insurance money in your own escrow account. Pay all contractors directly. Never let a management company pay your utilities, mortgage, or anything else. It is easy to set up these payments electronically from your own escrow account if you don't have a lot of time.

    I have spoken with one person who is out $16000 from WFP fallout and a bulk of it was deposits and such that were sitting in their escrow account.

    And here's the twist. A former broker by the name of Amy Jones is setting up a new company called Gateway Select Properties. She has reportedly been given access to the WFP landlord list by Amber or Travis and is contacting the owners saying that she will manage their properties and "using her former affiliations with WFP" "try to help recover some of their lost money". She has also indicated that "key personnel" including "Amber and Travis" will be "consultants" for the new company. All of the quotes I am using are from a person who called me but didn't tell me his name.

    All I can suggest to people contemplating this new company is this: Please be aware of the suspicious nature in which they are being contacted. If I were in desparate need of a property manager, and this was my only choice, I would offer to pay the fees up front at the beginning of each month and have the tenants make the checks out to me directly. I would have Gateway Select Properties, or any other management company collect the checks and forward them to me directly, and I would line out anything on the contract that allows Gateway Select Properties or any other management company to make repairs or contracts without my written permission.

    This is only what I would do after being burnt twice in a year.

    Good luck to all, and please make posts in the private section of biggerpockets.com if you have any information of the Whitener and Flynn issue.

    Scott Casinger
    636-577-2554

  • Member since 2008 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Has anyone received money from these clowns? I have had nothing, but problems with these guys since we moved to St. Louis 2.5 yrs, ago. I think we need to find their home addresses and phones numbers and blast out invoices of proceeds due every day, until they are pd in full!!

    This is obviously criminal action that will definitely land them in an all expense pd 1 room apt for several years.

    Amber/Travis, time to stop hiding and come out of the caves!

    Monte Krogman
    [/b]

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    Doesn't look like anyone has gotten paid yet.

    Stay tune for an email that just went out to the group . . .

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    I thought I'd share a bit of evidence with you all . . .

    Notice the date: June 11

    Whitener Flynn was excited about a move in early June because business was growing, but they suddenly were bleeding money in early July . . .

    NOTE: Gateway Select Properties, a company founded by one of the employees of Whitener & Flynn is now located at the address given to us all back in early June.

    I encourage anyone who moved to this new company, Gateway Select Properties, to please get in touch and let us know if we can reach Amber or Travis at this new company.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.