Votes
Andrew Farrell
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Hold or 1031 Exchange

Andrew Farrell
  • Richmond, VA
Posted Mar 28 2023, 11:29

I currently have a moderately profitable 3 bed/2 bath long term SFR that I plan on converting to an STR or an MTR... most likely an MTR as this is right next to a major hospital system with a lot of travel nursing demand. I informed my tenants that I would be unable to renew the lease ending in June but they are motivated to stay and unexpectedly made a good offer to buy the house.

At this point, I'm not sure which direction would be best. I could use a 1031 and roll into a small MF in a similar neighborhood that would be more efficient for the MTR strategy.  Typically, I see single or couple travelers that prefer a private one or two bedroom unit or if it's a shared unit/house they typically request a private bathroom. With my current 3/2, I could rent out only two rooms at a time to allow for private bathrooms and still be much more profitable then I am today with the long term tenants. However, a MF with 2-4 units at 2 bed/1 bath each, I could maximize my revenue per room/unit and be much more efficient.

I feel like I'm in a unique situation where I have motivated buyers with a good offer already in place which would allow me to avoid all of the work required to traditionally list the property, while also entering into a market with more buyer leverage once I sell the property. My concern however is that I haven't identified a replacement property and I worry I won't be able to complete a transaction in the required 180 days because of the low inventory and my specific deal criteria.

I welcome any and all thoughts on this one.

Thanks,

Andy

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Mar 28 2023, 13:23

@Andrew Farrell, a sale to your tenants can be a great advantage to you.

1. As you identified you lose a great deal of the cost of selling a property - commissions and fix up/staging costs. That actually makes your net sale higher than normal.  And the profit also.  But that's what the 1031 is for.

2. Since the tenants already live there it should be very easy to agree on a contract with them that allows you extra time to find your replacement before executing the sale.

3. And you can also use any time before the sale to actually go into contract for your new purchase.  Since you'll be reasonably assured that they will close.

I don't see the normal 1031 timing issues impacting you at all. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Farrell
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Mar 29 2023, 06:16

@Dave Foster this is really helpful. I hadn’t thought about terms that could allow me to look for a property prior to execution.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Speer
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 29 2023, 13:21

Hey Andrew,

Everyone's situation is unique but with most investors I work with, exchanging into a DST usually provides them with a higher cash on cash return than they were getting before with similar appreciation levels on invested capital. I am an analyst at a firm that specializes in helping active investors exchange into DSTs. Feel free to reach out.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Webb
  • Investor
  • Central Virginia
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Virginia
Replied Mar 29 2023, 13:27

Has this home always been a rental? If you lived in it for 2 out of the last 5 years, a 1031 is not needed. Talk to a CPA for clarification. Also, have you been looking for MF at this time? I would start contacting owners to try to get something penciled out now, then get your funding squared away using this property later. @Dave Foster has an excellent idea where you could essentially rent it to them for a few months while you find a replacement property. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Farrell
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Mar 30 2023, 12:30
Quote from @Chris Webb:

Has this home always been a rental? If you lived in it for 2 out of the last 5 years, a 1031 is not needed. Talk to a CPA for clarification. Also, have you been looking for MF at this time? I would start contacting owners to try to get something penciled out now, then get your funding squared away using this property later. @Dave Foster has an excellent idea where you could essentially rent it to them for a few months while you find a replacement property. 

I haven't lived in the place 2 of the last 5 years so I think a 1031 is what I'll need.  But yes the second I knew a potential offer was on the table I started hunting but it's only been a few days.  There isn't much listed on the MLS so I'm pulling together a list of owners to try and find something off market.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Webb
  • Investor
  • Central Virginia
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Virginia
Replied Mar 30 2023, 13:14
Quote from @Andrew Farrell:
Quote from @Chris Webb:

I haven't lived in the place 2 of the last 5 years so I think a 1031 is what I'll need.  But yes the second I knew a potential offer was on the table I started hunting but it's only been a few days.  There isn't much listed on the MLS so I'm pulling together a list of owners to try and find something off market.
I am not sure if this link will hold, but search for multifamilies Solds in Richmond on Zillow and sort by newest. Then go to the very back and work your way forward. Contact the agent and ask if the buyer in 2020 would consider selling now.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/r...