Is now the right time to buy multifamily real estate in the Bay Area?

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 25 votes
    2d

    Since 2022, Bay Area multifamily prices have dropped by roughly 25%. With the Fed currently in another rate-hike cycle, asset prices face continued downward pressure.

    Given this environment, which strategy would you choose?

    • Option A (Execute Now): Acquire a value-add property in a premium Bay Area location at a 5.5% cap rate, with a clear path to force 20% appreciation through renovations. The trade-off is absorbing potential rate hikes over the next 24 months.

    • Option B (Wait and See): Hold capital on the sidelines, absorb more rate hikes, and wait for even deeper discounts to emerge.

    Personally, I lean toward Option B because sitting on cash preserves optionality in a declining market. However, for those choosing Option A, what purchase discount or specific deal criteria would it take for you to pull the trigger today?

  • Member since 2023 · 32 posts · 16 votes
    2d

    To answer your actual question: what would make me pull the trigger is the debt math, not the size of the discount. At a 5.5% cap with debt in the 6s, you have negative leverage on day one. Every dollar you borrow lowers your cash-on-cash. So my bar is a basis where the deal hits at least 1.25x DSCR at today's rate, with no refi assumption, even before the renovation upside.

    I'd also pressure-test the 20% forced appreciation. At a constant cap rate, 20% more value means 20% more NOI. In the Bay Area, a lot of older multifamily falls under local rent control or the statewide AB 1482 cap (5% plus CPI, max 10%), so on existing tenants you mostly get there through turnover, not renovations alone. If the plan depends on rents you can only charge to new tenants, the timeline is set by your turnover rate, and that should be in the model.

    Option A can work, but only at a price where the deal survives even if neither the rate drop nor the rent bump shows up.

  • Gregory AcsPro Member
    Lender · MD · Member since 2025 · 187 posts · 72 votes
    1d

    Hi Zhenyang,

    I'd lean toward Option A, but only if the property meets your investment criteria and the numbers still work under conservative assumptions. Trying to time the market is difficult, and a good value add deal can make sense in almost any market if it has enough margin.

    I'd also stress test the deal with today's financing costs, realistic rents, vacancy, and renovation expenses. If it still performs well under those assumptions, I'd be more comfortable moving forward than waiting for a market that may or may not change.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.