Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Colleague Chat is now Live for ALL BiggerPockets PRO and PLUS Users!

Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Posted Mar 23 2015, 10:47

Just wanted to let everyone know that Pro and Plus users can now chat with any BiggerPockets Members that they are colleagues with! 

In the bottom right corner of your screen you'll see the blue "Colleague Chat" box. Go ahead and send one of your connections a message and try it out!

If you find any bugs or errors in the messaging system, either reply to this thread here or send them to me (perhaps via chat ;) ).

To learn more, watch this quick video:

Oh, and here's my first chat with Josh:

User Stats

Votes
Jerry W.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 23 2015, 17:08

I have used it once, it appears to log a message if the person is not on.  I seem to only be able to use it when in pro sections

Account Closed
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Mar 23 2015, 18:15

recommend somehow having a chat room tab in there as well, would be nice to be able to have live conversations. That would honestly be used the most I bet. Would be a good way to optionally have live conversations with non-colleagues. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
#1 Syndications & Passive Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Mar 23 2015, 22:33

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the site is virtually unusable in Safari on an iPad since chat was launched? Pages take forever to load and scrolling is almost impossible. Can't close the chat box either. Since I use BP almost exclusively on an iPad, I'm off the grid until it works on an iPad again! :(

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Mar 23 2015, 22:41
Originally posted by @Brian Burke:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the site is virtually unusable in Safari on an iPad since chat was launched? Pages take forever to load and scrolling is almost impossible. Can't close the chat box either. Since I use BP almost exclusively on an iPad, I'm off the grid until it works on an iPad again! :(

Brian, I have complained about this feature on iPhone using safari, very similar to what you just wrote. They disabled for iPhone somehow, must not have done so for iPad. @Robert Perry looks like Brian has an issue to be addressed ...

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Mar 23 2015, 23:14

Great observation @Steve Babiak .  Trying on my iPhone now and there is no chat and the site works fine. Not so on the iPad. Phone's too small so I'm still off the grid until it's fixed or I buy a huge pair of magnifying glasses. LOL

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
ModeratorReplied Mar 24 2015, 04:18
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

recommend somehow having a chat room tab in there as well, would be nice to be able to have live conversations. That would honestly be used the most I bet. Would be a good way to optionally have live conversations with non-colleagues. 

My recommendation is still for an XMPP aware server (why re-invent the wheel, use an proven and long established chat server) and then allowing BP members to use their own chat clients.  This would allow us to dismiss the chat box from our screen, yet still be able to participate.

That said, the idea of moving the chatbox to a separate tab - and just having growl type pop-up notifications - may be quite usable as well.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Perry
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 24 2015, 07:46

@Brian Burke

Added some rate limiting for the background tasks of the chat. It seems to help with mobile devices in my test environment. I'll deploy soon and see if it helps on the live site.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Mar 24 2015, 07:58

Guys - Have you noticed a difference since the changes that Rob and Co have implemented?

User Stats

Votes
Mirza Strujo
  • Investor
  • Manassas, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manassas, VA
Replied Mar 24 2015, 08:33

@Joshua Dorkinthe chat feature is great. I like that it seems to store your previous conversations.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Mar 24 2015, 08:52

@Joshua Dorkinmaybe @Robert Perryhasn't launched it yet because I see no change.  I'll check back later today!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 24 2015, 08:52

Thank you for the feedback everyone!  I have passed on your suggestions to Rob @Steve Babiak and @Brian Burke !

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Mar 24 2015, 19:35

@Joshua Dorkin and @Scott Trench I just checked back.  It's about 20% better, and if I close the chat icon (something I sometimes can do and sometimes it won't close) its about 40% better but the site is still so slow I can't really use it. Even typing out this comment took forever.