Religious Question

Religious Question

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes

Tim asked in another thread that I start a new thread on this topic, and while I don't see much value in discussion religion on an Internet forum, I'll at least continue this discussion from the other thread with a religious question for Tim...

[Note that I've put this in the Political Talk section, as it's likely to be one of those similar divisive topics... :)

Also note that I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm doing my best to write this from a non-judgmental and purely inquisitive perspective. If you are insulted by religious questions, please feel free to stop reading now.]

Okay, here's my question for Tim (and anyone else that's interested in answering)...

There have been thousands of religions throughout history, and one of the things that many of them have in common is the belief that there is a supreme being that created and controls everything. Some religions believe there are lots of things supreme beings (Greeks believed in hundreds of Gods).

I don't want to debate whether there is a supreme being or not...I can understand why people feel the need to believe in something bigger than themselves...it gives a sense of purpose, hope, and direction.

What I want to better understand is why people believe in their particular god and their particular history of the universe as opposed to the other thousands of gods and other thousands of of stories of these gods?

For example, as someone who is not religious, hearing the story of the Bible, the story of the Book of Mormon, the story of the Koran, the stories of the Greeks and the Romans and their gods, the story of Scientology, etc, they all sound pretty much equally believable (or unbelievable, depending on your perspective).

Hearing about 72 virgins awaiting martyrs in heaven sounds no more or less far-fetched than hearing about the fiery pits of hell. And it's all about the same as hearing about the comet Hale-Bopp coming to take Heaven's Gate believers away to the stars.

As far as I can tell, there's no evidence that suggests the Roman God of the Sun is any more or less real that than the Judeo-Christian God, and I'm quite certain that a few thousand years ago, the belief in the Sun God was just as fervent as today's belief in a Christian God. And they had just as much evidence back then that a god (or more than one) exists as we do today.

So, if you're religious, why do you believe your religion has the correct interpretation of historical events and the correct interpretation of the supreme being versus the other thousands of religions and cults throughout history?

I've heard people say, "I have no proof, it's just my belief."

While that's absolutely fine, I don't understand how that person can ever say that another religion "has it wrong." They would have to admit that maybe the Greeks were right; maybe the Muslims are right; maybe the Scientologists are right; and that quantitatively (i.e., taking your beliefs out of it), there's JUST AS MUCH CHANCE that other religions are right as yours is.

So, I guess my question boils down to:

What makes you believe that your religious belief system "holds more water" than any others, outside of the fact that yours may (or may not) have more followers and/or a better propaganda system?

And, if on the off chance, your response is, "It's just my belief, my faith, and that's all there is to it," then my follow-up question is:

Is there any other area of your life (besides religion) where you have an unflappable belief in something, and where you'd throw out all evidence and rationale in lieu of your faith and belief.

Again, not trying to offend...just genuinely curious...

0Reply
164 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · East Aurora, NY · Member since 2009 · 70 posts · 22 votes
17y

Some recommended reading - "I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist"
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Have-Enough-Faith-Atheist/dp/1581345615/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252600154&sr=1-1

The authors develop a persuasive case starting with how the Big Bang makes the case for a creator, why monotheism is the only logical theistic belief and how the New Testament can be verified.

See this reply in the discussion

88 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    Oh boy, here we go. I'll keep this very short and not trying to proselyte, just answer the questions posed. As I've stated before, I'm one of those wierd "Mormons". We do have the Book Of Mormon and do believe it to be inspired of God. It is not our beliefs book per se.

    Just as we believe the Bible to be the Word of God and a history of a people living in a certain area at a certain time, so also do I believe the Book of Mormon to be the Word of God and a history of a people living in a certain area at a certain time., mostly here in the Americas. I've visited a lot of those archaeological sites that I believe match up to the geography in the BofM.

    My take on a suupreme being is that there is one. If the Bible is accurate, Christ was here on earth and did establish an organization with Apostles etc that went forth and taught and baptized. There was an organization and authority given to do these things. The Apostles acted as a group in the absense of Jesus. Then they were scattered, killed etc. The Catholics believe their church was a continuation founded on Peter, of Christs' church.
    Mormons believe that there was an actual Apostacy, or a separation and loss of that contact, where basically everything fell apart. We believe that this organization, or church was Restored here upon the Earth through a modern day Prophet, just like Prophets in the Bible. I have the belief that this authorization or authority to act in the name of Christ is on the earth again. Catholics believe they have it, Mormons believe we have it. Only time will tell.

    As someone who believes in the Bible, I do also put emphasis on the Book of Revelations. This isn't a book of "maybes", but rather REVELATIONS. IF the Bible is true, these calamities will happen. That is why Mormons try to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

    Please, I'm not bashing anyone or anything , nor defending or espousing my beliefs, just answering the questions from my viewpoint. Only time will tell if there is a Supreme being, and I may be closer to knowing, because of my age than most. Maybe that is why I want to be prepared. Rich

  • Real Estate Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2009 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    17y


    My belief system hold no more weight then any belief system that places the Light of God's love at its heart. Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Taoism I don't care. I believe the Light of God's love has been revealed to many people in many forms.

    I relate to God through Christ (who was the pure Light of God made flesh). Others do not.



    Absolutely! I believe in the goodness of humanity, in spite of all we do to each other and all that we do to destroy the planet.

    I believe there is Justice in this world.

    I believe in an objective right and wrong, independent of religion, in spite of being unable to always identify it.

    I believe that people, no matter their history whether it be drugs, lying, infidelity, or crime can change and become better.

    I believe that, no matter what their advantages, no human being is better than another.

    I believe these thing completely, unflappably, in lieu of every evidence and reason to the contrary.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    As I've stated before, I'm one of those wierd "Mormons".


    Rich -

    Thanks for the honest response...

    First, I'm not sure why you classified Mormonism as "weird"...I'm very familiar with the story of Mormonism, and from the perspective of someone who is not religious, it is certainly no weirder than any other religion I'm familiar with.

    Not to mention, I have a number of Mormon friends (my wife worked in SLC for several years and was in senior management at a large, Mormon-run company), and the one thing I can say about Mormons is that they tend to be more family-oriented than pretty much any group of people I know (which is a very good thing).

    I think your point about "I've visited a lot of those archaeological sites that I believe match up to the geography in the BofM," was really what I was looking for. I'm trying to figure out why one set of beliefs is more appealing than others (other than due to indoctrination or upbringing). It sounds like you have found some physical evidence that supports your beliefs, and reinforces the fact that what you believe is likely more accurate than other belief systems.

    Again, thanks for the response...

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by William G.:

    My belief system hold no more weight then any belief system that places the Light of God's love at its heart. Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Taoism I don't care. I believe the Light of God's love has been revealed to many people in many forms.


    William -

    Thanks for the response...

    As a "non-believer" whenever I hear something like what you wrote above, it gives me a lot more faith in those who do believe. It seems like all I hear these days is things to the effect of, "My religion is right...yours is wrong" (and obviously a whole lot more of that since 9/11)...

    And it also answer my question about, "Why is one religion right and another wrong"...it sounds like to you that's not the case...

    It's refreshing to hear an "inclusionary" tone to a religious discussion...it seems like so much is "exclusionary" these days...

    Again, thanks!

  • Homeowner · taylorsville, NC · Member since 2008 · 145 posts · 3 votes
    17y

    hEY J,This will be short,first,i just posted on off topic,and,if you will get all alone somewhere where you cant be bothered for a while,take a Bible,read the book of john and ask GOD if he is really who HE SAID HE IS,WHICH IS EVERYTHING,to show you,pay attention to your cares and concerns about this,it may not be today,but HE will show you,dont turn from IM turn to HIM,john 3 16 thanks

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    Thanks J Scott. Rich

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y

    Yes there are different religions believing in different aspects but for me the truth always lies in the Bible. Whenever I get confused I look to the Bible for guidance.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    This is not exactly what you put in the other forum, but no matter. What I believe is quite simple. I believe that Jesus Christ was the incarnate Son of God, the Messiah, and the final blood sacrifice necessary to pay the price of human sin, as prophesied over 100 times in the Old Testament, and affirmed through various witness accounts of the New Testament. I believe that it is a mathematical impossibility for any other single person to have been the result of so many distinct and finite prophecies. Beyond that, I ascribe to no denomination. I believe that Catholics, Mormons, even practicing Jews who accept Jesus as the Messiah are open to the salvation provided to them by God. When you know this is right and when Jesus Christ himself specifically says that this is the only way to Salvation - through Him, then every other religion must be wrong. If Christ was wrong on this one thing, then you have to discard Him as the Messiah.

    I came to this faith young, moved away from it for a time, and reaffirmed it by comparing it against what Islam, Buddhism, Agnosticism and Atheism had to offer and found them lacking. Islam is the most tragic, having been written 600 years after the appearance of Christianity, having been obviously heavily influenced by it, and believing everything Christianity does to the point of crucifixion....and then leaving one's salvation to their performance at submission and paying money to the clergy. That's an endless cycle one can never be good enough at (even Mohammed admitted so on his deathbed). I feel no need to compare it against Scientology as I know hypnosis, have put people under hypnosis with their permission, and can see it's effects.

    One thing you asked about in the other thread was the creation of the earth. As to how the earth came about, I find myself in agreement with minds like Stephen Hawking that the universe was created in a singular event. A singular event resulting in a perfectly ordered system such as we have with no preconceived design is a scientific impossible and sheer madness to believe in. Intelligent design is the only logical answer.

    You said you believed that the world came together as the result of certain "laws". Who wrote those laws?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    A singular event resulting in a perfectly ordered system such as we have with no preconceived design is a scientific impossible and sheer madness to believe in. Intelligent design is the only logical answer.

    Thanks for the response, Tim!

    I've always found this argument interesting, but have never gotten a good answer for the obvious follow-up question...

    It sounds like you're saying that nothing as complex as the universe (and therefore, nothing more complex than the universe) could appear without an "intelligent" creator.

    Is that correct?

    If so, what created the intelligent being that created the universe? Does God have a God?

    And if your response is that God has always existed and therefore didn't need a creator, why can't someone use the argument that perhaps the universe has always existed and therefore didn't need a creator?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    It sounds like you're saying that nothing as complex as the universe (and therefore, nothing more complex than the universe) could appear without an "intelligent" creator.

    Is that correct?

    Yes.

    Originally posted by J Scott:
    If so, what created the intelligent being that created the universe? Does God have a God?

    No need. The Creator created the system, but is not subject to it's limitations, i.e. the need to be created. You should know this one from watching TRON.

    Originally posted by J Scott:
    And if your response is that God has always existed and therefore didn't need a creator, why can't someone use the argument that perhaps the universe has always existed and therefore didn't need a creator?


    The universe is physical. Physical has finite limitations, two being the periodic table of elements and the impact of time. Something with finite limitations cannot be God.
  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    Why I believe in what I believe in is that it has NEVER been proven incorrect by anyone at anytime throught history including today.

    And all prophesies that were made have come true, without exception.

    If any one single prophecy were proven false, or one fact (as presented) were proven false, then you could say that the whole belief is wrong.

    This has happened with several "religions" (as you classify them) but this is because they are indeed false religions. There is one religion, one faith, one God, ect. But then you have Satan who is the great deciever who is powerful and duplicates most if not all of what God has done, and in his works you find discrepancies and lies and IMO all the false religions that there are.

    God created time, and is not bound by it and is therefore infinate, all of the creations in heaven and earth are finate and therefore had to have a beginning, but it is possible that by intelligent design that beginning could have been created in the middle of the "life expectancy" for that creation.

    Which came first:
    The egg or the chicken?
    The baby or the man?
    The colliding atoms or the 1,000,000 year old earth?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:

    The Creator created the system, but is not subject to it's limitations, i.e. the need to be created.

    So, you can argue against other people's theories of creation of the universe by saying they don't make any sense, and then propose that your theory is better because it doesn't have to make sense (i.e., there don't need to be any explanations for the existence of the creator)?

    Not such a solid theory there...but I guess if you can just say, "Things can work outside the limitations of the system," there's no real arguing with you...

    Personally, I'm with Hawking on the theory that the laws of the universe (and the matter within the universe) has always existed, and therefore never needed to be created. It's a much simpler explanation, and doesn't preclude the events of the big bang, which we both seem to agree on...


    You should know this one from watching TRON.

    Are you sure you want to compare the creation of the universe to a really bad early-80's sci-fi movie? That REALLY doesn't help your argument... :)

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y

    Jawsette -

    I'm perfectly okay with anyone believing whatever they want. It's not for me to decide what people should and shouldn't believe.

    That said, to project your beliefs as the only possible explanation within reason and logic, that I'll have to respectfully question you on...

    Originally posted by jawsette:
    Why I believe in what I believe in is that it has NEVER been proven incorrect by anyone at anytime throught history including today.


    There is a well-known term for this logical fallacy -- Argument from Ignorance:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

    Nobody has proven that unicorns don't exist...but that doesn't mean you believe in them?

    Nobody has proven that the Muslim God Allah doesn't exist...but that doesn't mean you believe in Allah?


    And all prophesies that were made have come true, without exception.


    What about the rapture? Has that come true?

    Where is this list of prophecies so I can check them out for myself?


    There is one religion, one faith, one God, ect.


    Actually, there are lots of religions and faiths. That's part of why we're having this discussion.


    ...all of the creations in heaven and earth are finate...


    How do you know? Where have you proved this?


    The colliding atoms or the 1,000,000 year old earth?


    Scientists believe that the earth is about 4 billion years old. Christians believe that the earth is 6000 years old.

    Where are you get 1 million years old from?
  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    If you are going to believe the Bible, then you must take it as it is stated in the Bible and that is what it states. One faith, ect. which means all other faiths or beliefs are false interpertations of the one faith spoken of. Or taken out of context.

    The examples you are looking for can be found in the Bible, just read it.

    Science will tell you about the finate since of things because of the laws of teh universe that they understand, but will also quickly tell you that they do not yet understand everything. Which is really the same thing that the christians will tell you in that the Bible tells them of the creation and God and Jesus, but they do not yet understand everything.

    The Bible speaks of the creation of man not child. So how old was the man that was created?
    The same question can be applied to the earth. The Bible speaks of the creation of the earth, but how old was the earth when it was created?

    Here is another quandry from the Bible for you. Supposedly the first commandment given to Adam and Eve were to be fruitful and repopulate the earth. Was therefore the earth populated before this?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y

    Tim, Jawsette,

    Please just ignore my previous couple posts...

    I don't want to digress into religious debate with you guys. I'm not here to bash anyone's beliefs (that certainly wasn't the intent of my original post), and if we continue these discussions, we're all probably going to start sounding like we're beating each other up over our beliefs.

    There's another fighting in the world due to religion...I don't want to start anymore of it here... :)

    Whether I understand or agree with your beliefs doesn't matter...I certainly respect your right to have them...and hopefully you guys feel the same way about those with different beliefs...

    Feel free to continue the discussion without me if you must... ;)

  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    I did not say that by beliefs are based within reason and logic.
    Beliefs most of the time defy known reason and logic.
    Sometimes someones beliefs cause them to prove known reason and logic wrong and sometimes they just ignore them.

  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    You will notice that I did not say that you could not be right, but IF you accept christian belief than this or that would be true.

    This also does not mean the the christian belief could not be wrong, but I only aswered as best as I can for you your questions.

    It is such questions as yours that in the end will have someone proving what is right or wrong, if possible.

    These type discussions, without the usual "infighting" are usually very productive in getting people to think and prove what they are saying, if possible.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    So, you can argue against other people's theories of creation of the universe by saying they don't make any sense, and then propose that your theory is better because it doesn't have to make sense (i.e., there don't need to be any explanations for the existence of the creator)?


    Is Josh as a person subject to the limitations of Bigger Pockets, a virtual community system he created? Is there a counter on his forehead measuring the number of hits he gets? Is an artist as a being him or her self subject to the limitations of oil based paint? Of course not. It's not that this doesn't make sense. It makes perfect sense.


    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Personally, I'm with Hawking on the theory that the laws of the universe (and the matter within the universe) has always existed, and therefore never needed to be created. It's a much simpler explanation, and doesn't preclude the events of the big bang, which we both seem to agree on...

    Even Stephen Hawking had to admit that he could not eliminate God from the equation, much like Einstein.


    You should know this one from watching TRON.


    Are you sure you want to compare the creation of the universe to a really bad early-80's sci-fi movie? That REALLY doesn't help your argument... :)

    Excuse me.....that's a really AWESOME early-80's sci-fi movie. :cool: And it's to illustrate the point further that a user wasn't subject to the limitations of a program. The archetype of God's relationship to the universe shows up time and time again in our own creations.
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    So, you can argue against other people's theories of creation of the universe by saying they don't make any sense, and then propose that your theory is better because it doesn't have to make sense (i.e., there don't need to be any explanations for the existence of the creator)?


    Is Josh as a person subject to the limitations of Bigger Pockets, a virtual community system he created? Is there a counter on his forehead measuring the number of hits he gets? Is an artist as a being him or her self subject to the limitations of oil based paint? Of course not. It's not that this doesn't make sense. It makes perfect sense.


    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Personally, I'm with Hawking on the theory that the laws of the universe (and the matter within the universe) has always existed, and therefore never needed to be created. It's a much simpler explanation, and doesn't preclude the events of the big bang, which we both seem to agree on...

    Even Stephen Hawking had to admit that he could not eliminate God from the equation, much like Einstein.


    You should know this one from watching TRON.


    Are you sure you want to compare the creation of the universe to a really bad early-80's sci-fi movie? That REALLY doesn't help your argument... :)

    Excuse me.....that's a really AWESOME early-80's sci-fi movie. :cool: And it's to illustrate the point further that a user wasn't subject to the limitations of a program. The archetype of God's relationship to the universe shows up time and time again in our own creations.
  • Real Estate Investor · Wyoming, MI · Member since 2008 · 195 posts · 10 votes
    17y

    I saw the TITLE and said UH OH! lol

    I was raised catholic, went through catholic school and all then then started studying like an Engineer ALL the information I could find regarding religions, archaeology, human psychology, hearing input from all sides, etc etc..

    My current engineering conclusion, after about 10 years of study, is that there may Indeed be a 'something' that is greater than ourselves..BUT, no man made book on earth is a true description of that 'something'.

    That's the nitty gritty and I will continue searching for the absolute truth and will post here FIRST if I find it. LoL

    Neurotheology is a very interesting subject to study.

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Wow, a lot to read here, and I haven't gotten to all of it yet. I had better keep it brief. I am a Christian but have changed many of my beliefs as I have grown. (I was raised that With all due respect to Rich, my two biggest "rip offs", "cons" and outright liars were Mormons. They remind me of the Denzel Washington character in the movie "American Gangster", who attended church every Sunday. I know not all Mormons are like this, it is just my personal experience, which is that Mormon's love money.

    My father, who is actually a licensed minister and devout Christian said the three WORST clients were Preachers, Teachers and Lawyers. And if anyone said, "I hear you are a Christian, so am I, let's do business", he would say NO THANKS! The Bible states that a workman is worthy of his wages and any Christian who tries to rip off their customers is a sinner and any Christian Customer who tries to take advantage of a business owner is a sinner.

    "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

    Since it is not seen, it has to be an internal issue for each individual. Each person has to come to their own conclusion regarding the Spiritual aspect of life, even if that conclusion is that there is no Spiritual aspect.

    Over the centuries, a few people have used the facade of religion to gratify their greed for wealth, power and control. It is my belief that God will sort that out. But the vast majority of people practice their religion within the confines of their own mind with their outward actions being the evidence of their inward faith.

    Here is another, similar question. Where do morals come from? Who is to decide what is moral and what is immoral? For instance, today's debate is whether Health Care is a moral right or a pay for service. Who is to decide? A question with no definite answer, just like the original question of this thread.

  • Real Estate Investor · Wyoming, MI · Member since 2008 · 195 posts · 10 votes
    17y

    bible does have some Great teachings in it but it is Definitely not a bullet proof book of absolute morality, that's for sure.

    It reflects the time in which is was written which makes sense.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jason Trepins:
    It reflects the time in which is was written which makes sense.


    That's why you use hermeneutics to deduce the principles. Principles are timeless. Not coveting your neighbor's ox in literal reading may not be applicable today - may need some updating to your neighbor's SUV to get the principle. That's a smart principle, as many people who have coveted other people's cars and gone into debt to keep up with the Jone's can attest to. However, not coveting his wife sure is still very appropriate both in literal reading and in principle.

    Here's something wild I dare you to try to show how outdated the Bible is. Try eating the diet of the priests of Leviticus for just 1 month and watch what happens to your health. I'm surprised no one has published some sort of health book on this. You drop weight and up energy like nobody's business on this diet.

    Tim

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Which is more difficult to believe, that the Universe just appeared or that an Intelligent Being, whose existence is beyond the limits of the universe, created it? By nature, humans have a very difficult time coming to terms with anything that goes beyond their own existence. It would be like an earthworm trying to understand the internet. We are locked into two laws, time and space. We cannot exist in more than one time and in more than one place at any given moment. One can also argue that our actual existence is also limited to the Table of Elements and we are mostly water, Hydrogen and Oxygen. If God is NOT held to these physical laws, then how can we even begin to explain or understand God?

    Someone said that Christian's believe that the world is 6,000 years old. Not all Christians, and I believe it is the Baptist Denomination that espouses this quite strongly. Personally, I believe the earth is somewhere between 4 and 6 Billion years old. The six days of creation in Genesis is poorly translated, and do not mean a 24 hour day. The Hebrew is a little unclear but a more closer translation to the word "day" should be "a period of time" in Genesis. The Bible states that to God, a day is a thousand years and a thousand years is a day, which really means that time is of no consequence to God. Personally, I believe that the Universe is billions of years old and that there is sentient life on many other planets, maybe even billions of planets. It is only the arrogance of man that makes him want to believe he is the only living being in the universe. If there is other life, God has His reasons for their existence, just as He does for ours. In the end, we will stand before God, alone, and will have to answer for our thoughts, actions and beliefs. If our total existence ends when we die, that is rather depressing, don't you think?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    Which is more difficult to believe, that the Universe just appeared or that an Intelligent Being, whose existence is beyond the limits of the universe, created it?


    I'm going to jump in here one more time, not to debate anything that's been written, but to reiterate the original question I posed at the beginning of the thread...

    I'm not questioning the existence of a supreme being (at least not in this thread). Let's suppose for the sake of argument that everyone agrees that there is a God. Maybe even more than one (nothing that anyone has written precludes this possibility).

    So, the question remains (and I'll pose this towards the Christians, since they are the primary group we have here):

    Why Christianity? Why is the story of Jesus more believable than the stories posed by the thousands of other religions that have previously and do currently embrace the human race?

    The answers I seem to keep seeing are along the lines of, "Christianity is right because if you pick any other religion you will go to hell." That's not so much an explanation as it is an ultimatum to those who asked the question.

    Or how about this question:

    Even if there is a supreme being (God), does that necessarily imply that ANY religion is correct. Perhaps we were just a science fair project for God, and now we're sitting on a shelf while God is out playing basketball? What makes anyone think that if there is a "creator," that that creator really cares if we acknowledge him or not?

    Again, I'm not at all trying to convince people to believe anything other than what they want to believe; I'm just trying to understand the basis for that belief. And if the answer is, "I don't know, I've just always believed that," I'm okay with that answer... :)
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.