Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Justin B.
  • Lakewood, OH
Votes |
MLS listing has an error, how to fix it? (days on the market)

Justin B.
  • Lakewood, OH
Posted Apr 21 2015, 05:45

My family is selling a commercial piece of property, and we tried using an auctioneer last year, and we since relisted it with a realtor who told me it was still on the market all this time. How can we change it? My realtor says it's useless or impossible, I just think he's being lazy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Jonna Weber
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
ModeratorReplied Apr 21 2015, 05:51

If it is on an MLS, the Realtor may be able to contact the MLS office to make an adjustment. If it has been showing as for sale all this time, with no offers, than the market could be speaking to you. (maybe price is high?). I wish you the best!

User Stats

Votes
Sonya Stovall
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Bethesda, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Bethesda, MD
Replied Apr 21 2015, 07:07

@Justin B. yes call the local Realtor Association which probably administers the MLS service and let the know. If the Realtor was lazy and did not change it in the system, that Realtor may be fined (every association is different). Also check your agreement to make sure the listing just didn't remain active because your contract stated otherwise.

Also, some associations will still add the days on market from listing to listing (total days on market) if there is a short amount of time in between (i.e., 90 days).  

Good Luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Justin B.
  • Lakewood, OH
Votes |
  • Lakewood, OH
Replied Apr 21 2015, 07:37
Originally posted by @Jonna Weber:

If it is on an MLS, the Realtor may be able to contact the MLS office to make an adjustment. If it has been showing as for sale all this time, with no offers, than the market could be speaking to you. (maybe price is high?). I wish you the best!

Since this is a probate issue, defaulting to an auctioneer, especially one that didn't put good marketing into place (no pictures of land, lake, or interior or operations information), very worthy of a blog post, leads me to believe the market hasn't fully exposed to this property's assets and potential. But being this long on the market doesn't look good I agree. We have had offers, and inquiries, mostly because of craigslist. 

I would like to repost it on craigs with a price decrease, and maybe here on bigger pockets, but I just wanted to see if the mls error could be amended...