The 50% Rule: Video Tutorial

The 50% Rule: Video Tutorial

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes

I didn't want to post this earlier, as Jon Holdman was planning to present on this subject at the BP Summit 2012 and I didn't want to detract from his presentation. But, unfortunately, Jon had a family emergency and wasn't able to attend the Summit, so I thought I would put this up here.

This is a video I made a while back -- it wasn't intended a formal tutorial, in fact I was just testing out some educational video creation software and through this together to see how the software worked. It's far from professional, and not at all rehearsed, so keep your expectations low... :)

That said, with all the discussions of The 50% Rule around here whenever a new investor join us, I thought it might be worthwhile to have a video tutorial on the subject. If anyone finds this useful, perhaps I'll do something a bit more professional.

Anyway...enjoy!

http://www.123flip.com/wp-content/uploads/Test/50RuleFinal.html

Btw, to the mods, sorry for posting a link to another domain...I didn't know how best to embed the video. I made sure there are zero links on the page, so hopefully it isn't an issue. If you'd like me to embed this differently, let me know.

15Reply
188 views

Most Popular Reply

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Nicely done J, great job. This should be required reading/listening for all new combers to BP.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    J Scott brings Khan Academy to BiggerPockets. Very good job, especially with the example. Here is my quicker and dirtier version from a couple years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxhWvR76iak

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    Nicely done J, great job. This should be required reading/listening for all new combers to BP.

  • Investor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2009 · 950 posts · 338 votes
    14y

    Great job J Scott! That was a clear, well done explanation. I liked the whiteboard aspect as well.

    So what's the next subject? :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2011 · 105 posts · 24 votes
    14y

    Very nice!! As stated, the examples on the white board really help drive home the point.

    You mentioned perhaps re-doing it a little more professional. I think it is fine as is. Spend the time on the next topic! Maybe do one on the 2% rule and how it can be used, in addition to the 50% rule, to help analyze a deal.

    Great job!!!

  • CA · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    Thanks, J. I was really looking forward to that presentation, so thanks for this. A 2% rule explanation would be great too ;)

    BTW. You and Marty did a great job with the Rehabbing bootcamp. Really informative for a newbie like me.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Nice video J!

    We should have more standard Camtasia feeds on the forum. I really think it would help trade ideas a lot better for the tech savvy.

    Comments:

    1. Under debt service in the 5:28 or so mark in the video "principle" should be "principal"

    2. Perhaps V2 of the video or an advanced one could include a discussion of amortization, tax shields, and appreciation

    3. A discussion of different loan types may be interesting as well. Something describing how IO product could increase cash flow while trading off amortization would probably be helpful for many

    4. Some discussion of how lower class properties can generate expenses in excess of the 50% rule of thumb would probably keep people from making the mistake of using this technique as a catch-all even though you qualified this at the beginning of the video

    5. A more advanced video could probably introduce time value of money concepts and timing for capital expenses instead of lumping them into the 50% category and spreading the costs evenly

    Overall this is a great video! It should eliminate a lot of discussion about questions related to it that come up every week.

  • SFR Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 71 posts · 12 votes
    14y

    Thanks for the video J. I am just starting out and learning as much as I can and hopefully one of these days get my feet wet. The video was very clear and explained the concept in a simple manner for a newbie like myself. Hope to see the 2% when you get a chance.

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 66 posts · 30 votes
    14y

    Another great video would be one where you analyze deals. Maybe do like 10 different properties, a couple for SFR/duplex/fourplex/a 12-unit etc. And include everything in each analysis. Maybe provide some examples for us newbies to do while we pause the video then at the end you tell us the correct answers to make sure we go it down. Awesome!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 242 posts · 61 votes
    14y

    Nice video J Scott thanks for posting. The pie chart was a nice touch.

    P.S. O and man Camtasia gives me bad memories. I used to waste countless hours to create math tutorial videos with that cumbersome program till I switched to SmartBoard software.

  • Jesse PollPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · St George, UT · Member since 2012 · 78 posts · 8 votes
    14y

    Jon K mentioned Khan academy, they have all kinds of videos on the subjects that Bryan H mentioned if anyone is interested.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jesse Poll:
    Jon K mentioned Khan academy, they have all kinds of videos on the subjects that Bryan H mentioned if anyone is interested.

    Yup, I'm a big fan of Khan Academy and tried to emulate their tutorial format when I created this...

  • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
    13y

    good explanation would love to find some properties that could follow this rule or the 2% rule, near the beach cities in Los Angeles.....>_< hehehe

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Will F.:
    good explanation would love to find some properties that could follow this rule or the 2% rule, near the beach cities in Los Angeles.....>_< hehehe

    What makes you think houses in your area don't follow the 50% Rule? I'm guessing they pretty much do...

  • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
    13y

    Well in this beach cities in LA maybe total costs/expenses can get close to 50% of rental income (especially if you include capital improvement expenses), its hard to find something in this area where the 50% of rental income covers the mortgage (interest/principal).

    Thanks for your help on the video I liked it and it was very clear.

    I guess it's more that the 2% rule is hard to come by here, not as much the 50% rule.

  • Real Estate Investor · Waukegan, IL · Member since 2013 · 367 posts · 80 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
    Nice video J!
    We should have more standard Camtasia feeds on the forum. I really think it would help trade ideas a lot better for the tech savvy.

    Comments:

    1. Under debt service in the 5:28 or so mark in the video "principle" should be "principal"

    As in your old high school principal???

  • Homeowner · Rosedale, NY · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Hey J,

    Great video, I really appreciate you posting this. I wish I was aware of this rule when I was renting out my first place.

    If you have any other videos I'd definitively be interested in viewing them

  • North Stonington, CT · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the link, very easy to follow.

  • Investor · Albany, GA · Member since 2014 · 70 posts · 8 votes
    12y
    @Jon Klaus:...Do you have a short youtube on the 2% rule also? I would love to see that! :)

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Two percent "rule"

    Keep in mind that I made this video in 2010. Values are way up since then.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @CL Ziegler:
    @Jon Klaus:...Do you have a short youtube on the 2% rule also? I would love to see that! :)

    Here's a quick tutorial on the 2% rule:

    If you're monthly rent is at least 2% of your total investment (basis) in the property, you're probably making a great return!

    As an example, if you purchase a property for $40,000 and put $20,000 in to the rehab, your total investment is $60,000. 2% of $60,000 is $1200. If you're earning at least $1200 in gross rents, you're likely doing great.

    This doesn't mean that you have to earn 2% or that earning less than 2% isn't a great deal (it may be!), but if you're earning 2%, it's almost certainly a great investment from a pure ROI standpoint.

  • Investor · Albany, GA · Member since 2014 · 70 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @J Scott Thanks for that rundown. I thought that's what it meant. I've heard of the 1% rule so this is the same thing, but doubled to protect one's ratio? I guess the "% rule" can go up or down depending on different market conditions over time?

    (is this what you meant @Jon Klaus ...when you mentioned values have changed since 2010?)

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    The math doesn't change, but what the market allows or offers changes. Run all the numbers on any property you are considering to see if it meets criteria acceptable to you. If you aren't sure how to do the financial analysis, post your deal here, and get feedback.

    A 1% deal could be OK, but it could be bad, too. Factor everything in to find out.

  • Saint Albans, WV · Member since 2013 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Hi

    @J Scott ,

    @Jon Klaus,

    Regarding the 50% rule and 2% rule, do they assume that utilities are payed by the tenant or by landlord? In my area we pay utilities ourselves so when my rent is $500 in addition I pay water, gas and electric bill is another $300. So when we use 50% rule do we assume that tenant will pay all the bills or it is included in this 50% as expenses? Same for 2%, if property cost 30000 then rent should be 600 + utilities by tenant??

    Thanks

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Typically, when utilities are included in the rent, you'd expect the rent to be higher. In reality though, expenses tend to average higher than 50% when utilities are included. Master metered properties are often older and command lower rents. This also makes the expense percentage higher. I've heard of investors using 60% expenses as a rule if thumb on "bills paid" properties.

  • Ardmore, PA · Member since 2012 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @J Scott

    That was a great tutorial! I especially liked the fact that you listed out the expenses.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.