Median Home Price by Zip Code?

Median Home Price by Zip Code?

Boulder, CO · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 2 votes

Does anyone know of a company/service that gives/sells information about median home prices by specific zip codes? It seems like this data would be available somewhere. I am willing to pay for it.

thanks for any help...

1Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Lakewood, OH · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 23 votes
13y

What a difference a day makes:
http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer?ref=us

Special thanks to Brian Gibbons for sharing

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth , TX · Member since 2012 · 211 posts · 152 votes
    13y

    Thomas Blue

    Does it specifically need to be "median" value for households? www.zip-codes.com queries information from the US Census Bureau and generates a report on your specified zip codes. Assuming there is an adequate sample size in your zip code, median and average value for households tend to be similar and do not deviate too much.

    Here is an example of the information there:

    If you want median household value specifically you may need to get the data from US Census Berueau American Fact Finder found here which is also free: http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml

    You can get select median value as a specific variable if im not mistaken, if not you can quickly determine it yourself by opening the database in excel.

    Lastly, you might consider using the Tax Assessed Values to find areas worth investing in. Typically this information is available for free from your counties Central Appraisal District as well.

    Hope that helps

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    13y

    AgentPro247.com might have some of this information. I've used it for years now, and while I don't use the service for precisely what you're describing above, I know it does give you access to a TON of data, all of which is fairly easy to search.

    Last I checked - I believe they offered a free trial, so I'd suggest starting with that. If turns out to be what you're looking for, you can get a discount by entering Partner ID: CFGRSH on the sign-up sheet.

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Chris F. - Thanks. I guess I should have said historical prices. I would like to see which zips have increased over the past few 10-15 years.

  • Lakewood, OH · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 23 votes
    13y

    I don't know of any free data aggregator that will offer you that level of granularity. I'd imagine you'd have to pay for access to that database. But, I surely hope I'm wrong and someone here chimes in

    The lowest level of granularity I've seen is the HPI index that tracks down to the city level:
    http://www.fhfa.gov/Default.aspx?Page=216&Type=summary

    There are also some links to download the historical data for different periods on that site.

    It's not the median sale you were looking for. However, it is a repeat sale index it would typically be more useful for analyzing trends for locations. A median price would reflect distortions caused by mix of home characteristics changing in some regions

    I hope someone chimes in with a free source for median sale by zip, but I wouldn't count on it

  • Lakewood, OH · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 23 votes
    13y

    What a difference a day makes:
    http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer?ref=us

    Special thanks to Brian Gibbons for sharing

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    this kicks ***.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Amazing! Thank you!!!

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Knowing what has happened over the last 10-15 years is nice, but as they say in the secuirities business, "past performance......

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Earlier in the day a link was posted on US Census results, where the zip code could be inserted on that map and various data could be retrieved. Median price (per census tract rather than zip code) is one of the searches, but it does not distinguish anything based on size or attributes (because the median statistic doesn't dare about any of those things).

    http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer?ref=us

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Steve Babiak & David: Good points. :)

  • Investor · Montclair, NJ · Member since 2015 · 150 posts · 23 votes
    10y

    @Thomas Blue I access this on realtor.com. It's free. I also like the data on city-data.com by zip code as it shows the sales and median price trends over time. City-data also has tonnes of other info by zip codes. also free. 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Much of the info is on realtor.com. It's free. I also like the data zipcodedownload.com which also has lots of other info by zip codes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.