Votes
Adam Querbach
Pro Member
Votes |
Building a Tri-plex in Texas - W

Adam Querbach
Pro Member
Posted Mar 8 2024, 13:31

I own a .67 acre lot just outside of Austin, TX , technically just outside the Buda,TX city limit.  My lot is adjacent to the city limit line, but I am technically in Hays county.   It is a long football field shape lot, with a small single family rental home on it.   

With local home and land prices so expensive, I'd like to explore building a Tri or FourPlex on the back half of the lot.  There is street access because it's a corner lot.

This would be my first new contstruction....my plan is to sell my current home (family issues, forced to sell) and move into one of the units as a primary residence for a year or 2 before leasing it.

Question is - What is the order of operation to start the project...   Find building restrictions, structure plans/design, financing, legal issues.... I am not sure where to begin.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 9 2024, 14:30
Quote from @Adam Querbach:

I own a .67 acre lot just outside of Austin, TX , technically just outside the Buda,TX city limit.  My lot is adjacent to the city limit line, but I am technically in Hays county.   It is a long football field shape lot, with a small single family rental home on it.   

With local home and land prices so expensive, I'd like to explore building a Tri or FourPlex on the back half of the lot.  There is street access because it's a corner lot.

This would be my first new contstruction....my plan is to sell my current home (family issues, forced to sell) and move into one of the units as a primary residence for a year or 2 before leasing it.

Question is - What is the order of operation to start the project...   Find building restrictions, structure plans/design, financing, legal issues.... I am not sure where to begin.

with your septic and well you'll need to do site layout first with a land planner or the county. after that you'll need to check setback requirements and design plans and start budgeting with a builder. once you have a confirmed plan set and budget broken down and builder selected then you can talk to banks. most people think it starts with banks 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 11 2024, 13:48

@Adam Querbach are you zoned for it?

The Moorhead Team Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adam Querbach
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 19 2024, 10:54
Quote from @Jordan Moorhead:

@Adam Querbach are you zoned for it?

Ill find out today.  I am going to the county office.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Mar 19 2024, 17:16

Definitely want to consult with an architect 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Querbach
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 15 2024, 15:16

I met with the county permitting and zoning office.

Outside the city limits, minimum lot size is 0.5 acres, so they will not allow a whole new structure, but they will allow a casita/guest house.

But they told me that if they approve that, I would technically not be allowed to rent them as separate residences.

However, that is due to being on septic.  Since I am adjacent to the city limit, I can connect with City sewer and water...I was told.

I am going back to see if that will let me bypass the 0.5 acre minimum lot size restriction if the new building is connected to city utilities.

User Stats

Votes
Rojelio Raymond Ayala
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston
Replied Apr 16 2024, 14:30

Good luck! I have a lot in downtown taylor tx, and am looking to build a triplex/dupelx in rockdale tx, sending a request to connect if you don’t mind to pick your brain on this. Thank you!