Pro Member
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
To License or not to License... That is the question

Justin D' Apolito
Pro Member
  • Queens, NY
Posted Feb 28 2024, 12:41

I am a New York based new-ish investor working to expand. I have been kicking around the idea of getting my license in New York even though I am not actively looking at real estate in NY or do I really intend to get a job as an agent. I figure it could be a good educational tool and potential for some additional income in the form of referrals, and my own purchase commissions. Also, it would give me access to the MLS so I could search for on market property on my own. Is this a big dumb waste of time and money? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Feb 28 2024, 14:41

Hey @Justin D' Apolito - I'm an investor & broker in NYC and can help chime in. I got my license after I started investing in real estate. 

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish... if you're not planning on investing in properties here, or even using the license part/full time to broker transactions - then I think you answered your own question. 

I've found value in becoming an agent and doing this full time because it helps me get into the networks of other investors that are flipping, buying, selling, etc. full time.