BiggerPockets

"Contingent Lien-holder Release"...

Forum Powered By:

11 posts by 5 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Jean Bolger

Aurora, Colorado

Mar 13, 05:39 PM

This was the description of a property's status in the mls listing. Is this the same as a short sale? Does it mean there's already an offer in? It's not a property I'm planning on jumping on, I'm just curious...

Joel Owens Moderator

Real Estate Broker from Canton, Georgia

Mar 13, 06:46 PM
2 votes

It sounds like a short sale. I have seen some brokers/agents use some really wacky verbage before. I guess it makes them feel important or something.

Who knows?? lol

Medium_allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 678-779-2798
www.AWcommercial.com 678-779-2798 [email protected]

Jerry W.

Real Estate Attorney from Wyoming

Mar 13, 07:30 PM

Sounds like there are 2 confused parties to that listing, the one reading it and the one writing it :). Hmmm it doesn't seem clear to me, what is obfuscation? :)

HeHe actually I am impressed you could spell it.

JerryW. WASP Inc Don't let others decide your attitude!

Jean Bolger

Aurora, Colorado

Mar 13, 07:35 PM
1 vote

haha! truth? I'm good with obfuscation (in more ways the one) but I did have to google-check the spelling for 'aficionado'.

i do loves me some wacky verbiage

Jerry W.

Real Estate Attorney from Wyoming

Mar 13, 07:46 PM

Hehe @Jean Bolger you expect truth from a lawyer? Hey I have some ocean front property in Wyoming you are going to love!

JerryW. WASP Inc Don't let others decide your attitude!

Frank Uzzi

Real Estate Attorney from Montvale, New Jersey

Mar 13, 07:47 PM
1 vote

I would agree that this is just a fancy way to say it's a short sale. However, don't overlook the possibility that the word "contingent" may mean that the property is already under contract. So basically you can read this 2 ways:

1. This is a short sale that is contingent on the lien release.

2. This is a short sale that is already under contract and just waiting for approval.

Either way it's a short sale - you just need to find out if you are putting in an offer or a backup offer.

Frank Uzzi

Real Estate Attorney from Montvale, New Jersey

Mar 13, 07:51 PM
1 vote

Originally posted by @Jerry W.:
Hehe @Jean Bolger you expect truth from a lawyer? Hey I have some ocean front property in Wyoming you are going to love!

There's a fine line between truth and fiction - we just blurr the line better than most....

Jean Bolger

Aurora, Colorado

Mar 13, 07:52 PM

And I'll be riding the rolling waves of I-25 up to Sheridan tomorrow, @Jerry W. I'll wave to you on the beach!

@Frank Uzzi that makes sense. It's really just a passing curiosity on my part, in this case. The property looks good, but not what I'm looking for right now

Bill Gulley

Real Estate Investor from Springfield, Missouri

Mar 13, 08:14 PM
2 votes

And a third possibility, the price set/asked is based on an expected release of a lien paid, the lien holder may have up to 90 days to release, or it's a negotiated release on a second being paid. Not really a short sale per se, might have been accrued interest on a NPN that was dropped is paid.

Forth, any lien holder, a materials or labor lien from a past project to be paid or arranged to be paid.

Fifth possibility, some liens are forgiven by municipalities, partially paid, sewer liens, lawn cutting or clean ups can be negotiated and released.

Last that pops to mind, they could be talking about an IRS lien or state tax lien. These are often released to allow a sale with the tax payer still owing taxes. More likely than 3,4 &5.

And it sure sounds like a short sale too, LOL. :)

Bill Gulley

Real Estate Investor from Springfield, Missouri

Mar 14, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by @Jerry W.:
Sounds like there are 2 confused parties to that listing, the one reading it and the one writing it :). Hmmm it doesn't seem clear to me, what is obfuscation? :)

HeHe actually I am impressed you could spell it.

I may be an obfuscator, by convoluting the possibilities as in my prior post. :)

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums