Market Changes

Market Changes

Investor · Belgrade, MT · Member since 2013 · 135 posts · 32 votes

A common mistake that new investors make is to assume the market will continue to behave how it has in the recent past. Having many years of experience and seeing the market change over time, can inform investors making them better prepared for potential market changes. On the other hand it can get people stuck; my grandpa never invested a dime in the stock market his entire life because of what he saw his family go through during the great depression when he was a child. 

Instead of investing for decades, can we learn something by looking at other markets around the world? I recently traveled to Mongolia for my 8-5 job, and took this picture of a local bank. The top three numbers on the sign are the return on CDs for different monthly terms. 18 percent for a 12 month CD!!! Sign me up. Except that Mongolia has seen something like 20 percent inflation. Since I went two years ago, the exchange rate has changed from around 1500 Tugrik (Mongolian dollar) to 2000 Tugrik for one US dollar. The bottom three are for different loans. I think the first is unsecured, the second is business and third is auto. I can’t imagine these are annual rates, let’s assume they are monthly rate ranges depending on your financials. So if the U.S suddenly had 20 percent inflation and banks were offering rates like those below, how would this impact your portfolio? What would your new investment strategy be? If you knew this change was coming in the US what would you do to prepare, and how would you take advantage of this market shift?

1Reply
35 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bozeman, MT · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hi Patrick!

    I had seen on the Montana forum you mentioned some BP members meeting up in Bozeman. I've just started researching real estate investing and would like to learn more so I can make a plan for taking that first step! Do you have an suggestions/tips for someone just starting out? 

    Courtney 

  • Investor · Belgrade, MT · Member since 2013 · 135 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    @Courtney Lewis, sorry I was not ignoring you, I don't get notifications if people respond to my posts I guess.  Out of luck I was looking back on some things I had written and saw your post.  I am two months late to respond it looks like, but here is my advice for someone starting out.  Four crucial steps: build margin in budget, build margin in time, learn and take action.  

    Build margin in budget; in other words live below your means and set money aside to invest.  All wealthy people live below their means (spend less than you make), Those that don't do not remain wealthy long. It is easy to look at someone with six or seven figure income and think it is easy for them to build wealth.  I have visited with many people in this situation and their life is more stressful, because as their salary increases so do their expenses and they often end up working harder to keep up with a certain lifestyle.  If you can consistently set money aside for investing two things will happen.  First your investment capital will grow.  Of the numerous things you can bring to a deal, money is the easiest; even if you are slow to take action eventually you will have a big enough pile of money that deals become easier to find.  But living below your means is not easy, you have to work and earn and budget.  Second benefit is your financials look better to partners, bankers, sellers etc.  Not only does having a pile of cash make it easier to make deals happen, but it is easier to get financing when you have a pile of cash, sellers will take you more seriously (if they are not try putting 10k down as escrow money).  

    Build margin in your schedule.  Set time aside to work on investing.  If you don't know what else to do, read books, read BP posts, listen to podcasts.  Once you start doing this, the next steps become laid out, get your team members in place (banker, broker, prop manager...), start analyzing properties (or maybe start with analyzing markets) ... make offers.

    As you use your time margin to learn, I think there are two types of knowledge, head knowledge and heart knowledge. Figuring out the mechanics and math for REI (the head knowledge) is the easy part. The heart knowledge is the tough part. Most people's worst enemy or biggest barrier is themselves. To paraphrase 2 Corinthians, I know the good things I am supposed to do, but I just don't do them; and the things that are bad for me, that is what I do; what a wretched sinner am I. Pay attention to your emotions, where you make mistakes and why. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. Mistakes are learning experiences.

    Lastly, take action.  Best way to learn is to do it!!!!  Good luck, look forward to seeing you again at our local meet ups.  

  • Cheyenne, WY · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Patrick McGowen This has been a bit since you initially posted this.  Where do you see the market now?

  • Investor · Belgrade, MT · Member since 2013 · 135 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Josh Rogers, "the market" can mean a lot of different things.  Encourage you to be a cashflow investor instead of capital gains; or income sheet over balance sheet.  If by market you mean the stock market, company earnings are 4-5% on stock price cost.  You can beat this income in real estate.  Since my original post was about interest and inflation; If you mean interest rates; anyone's guess really, but the mechanics of our monetary system would indicate to me that interest rates cannot really rise much (maybe one percent higher).  Even with then massive scale of quantitative easing, the Fed has managed to keep inflation at 2% target, so my best guess is that inflation will stay at around 2%.  

    Again, I encourage focus on income.  If you can create passive investment income, you don't have to worry about the market.  

  • Cheyenne, WY · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @patrick 

    @Patrick McGowen Excellent advice!  Thanks so much for taking the time to explain!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.