Pro Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
Looking for DSCR lending

Michael Y.
Pro Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
Posted Jan 26 2024, 15:48

I'm looking for DSCR lenders in the Tulsa area, any recommendations? Also does not owning a primary result in rejection.

Much appreciated, thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Jan 26 2024, 16:05
Quote from @Michael Y.:

I'm looking for DSCR lenders in the Tulsa area, any recommendations? Also does not owning a primary result in rejection.

Hi Michael, 

Is this for a purchase or refinance? 

Can you show you have been living somewhere else and paying rent for the past 12 months? Or Utility bill?

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael Y.
Pro Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jan 26 2024, 16:11

For purchase. Yes I can show anything you need!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 26 2024, 16:47

Would recommend looking at Bigger Pockets list of recommended DSCR lenders. Great resource.

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
  • Lender
Votes |
Quote from @Michael Y.:

As long as you can provide 12 months of primary housing you're go for DSCR. Happy to connect

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Zamboroski
  • Lender
Votes |
Quote from @Michael Y.:

As many others have said, not necessarily a deal breaker! Is this your first property in your portfolio? Happy to connect and help if I can!

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 27 2024, 06:40
Quote from @Devin Peterson:
Quote from @Michael Y.:

As long as you can provide 12 months of primary housing you're go for DSCR. Happy to connect

I would say this is probably generally true but I'd also say these definitions can vary widely (and annoyingly) among DSCR Lenders - an area that could certainly use some standardization in the market

User Stats

Votes
Stacy Raskin
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Jan 28 2024, 09:33

You will have less lending options if you don't own a primary and this is not your first investment property but there are lending options out there. DSCR lenders have different guidelines depending on the lender as they sell their loans on the back end to replenish their cash for new loans to different investors who have varying criteria as they set it. You will have a lot more options for loan amounts over $100K. It's more important to work with a lender or a broker that specializes in DSCR loans. The location isn't as important as most lenders work in different states.

In case helpful, more info on DSCR loans: DSCR loans won't use your income to underwrite the loan.

DSCR loans are based off of down payment, credit score and either actual or market rents so it helps to supercharge an investor's real estate goals and net worth.

Here's a bit more in detail about how rates are calculated for DSCR loans:

1. Credit score- the higher the best. 760+ generally gets best pricing for investment property loans with most lenders

2. Loan to value ratio: The higher the loan to value ratio (LTV) is, pricing takes a hit. So your pricing will be higher for a 80% LTV loan than for a 60% LTV loan.

3. Prepayment penalties- usually 1-5 year terms. The shorter the prepayment term has an impact on increasing the rate.

4. Are you cash flowing the property? More on how that is calculated below. Is your DSCR ratio greater than 1-meaning are you cash flowing (according to the lender's criteria of mortgage, property taxes and insurance (and HOA) if applicable). Many lenders will not do a DSCR loan unless cash flowing. If they will do a loan with less than 1, the pricing takes a hit. This criteria is for 1-4 and 5-8 unit programs.

I've included an example below to help illustrate this.

So different lenders have different rates (which do vary even for DSCR loans) but these are factors they all consider.

See example below:

DSCR < 1

Principal + Interest = $1,700

Taxes = $350, Insurance = $100, Association Dues = $50

Total PITIA = $2200

Rent = $2000

DSCR = Rent/PITIA = 2000/2200 = 0.91

Since the DSCR is 0.91, we know the expenses are greater than the income of the property.

DSCR >1

Principal + Interest = $1,500

Taxes = $250, Insurance = $100, Association Dues = $25

Total PITIA = $1875 Rent = $2300

DSCR = Rent/PITIA = 2300/1875 = 1.23

DSCR lenders generally let you vest either individually or as an LLC. It's a great way to increase your net worth and these loans can also be used to pull cash out of a property as it appreciates allowing you to reinvest money into new deals.

User Stats

Votes
Brayden Hrycko
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Allentown, Pa
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Allentown, Pa
Replied Jan 29 2024, 08:26

Hello @Michael Y.,

We at the One Brokerage service Oklahoma. I would be happy to connect. You do not need to own a primary. 

User Stats

Votes
Timothy Hero
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • United States
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • United States
Replied Jan 29 2024, 09:30

We have to be careful posting here, since this isn't the marketing section, but I know a guy lol

User Stats

Votes
AJ Exner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jan 29 2024, 10:56
Quote from @Michael Y.:

Hey Michael,

Hope you found an answer on this, but shouldn't need to own to utilize find DSCR.

I know that you can run into some title stuff in OK in general though. My experience with my clients there is that any kind of purchase you do they run FULL title everytime, which can certainly uncover a few things and delay the process. Have you purchased in OK before or is this the first?

User Stats

Votes
Rashawn Dally
  • Lender
  • Farmington, CT
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Farmington, CT
Replied Jan 29 2024, 11:31

hi, good question. i have seen this come up before in the past. its hit or miss with lenders tbh. i definitely have come across a few that do not require this.

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Jan 29 2024, 11:37

Hey Michael - 

If you can show proof of on-time housing payments for 12+ months, you should have some luck. Be aware of the different prepayment penalty options across lenders when comparing....anywhere from 0-5 years is common. Typically the longer the PPP, the lower your rate. A refinance or a sale will trigger the PPP (something to keep in mind right now, as "they" predict that rates will fall this year). If you have any questions, feel free to reach out! 

Barrett Financial Group, L.L.C. Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nick Belsky
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Votes |
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Replied Jan 30 2024, 12:19

@Michael Y.

Chat with @Zach Edelman.  They are awesome and Easy to work with...

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
David Chung
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jan 30 2024, 15:47
Quote from @Michael Y.:

Not owning your primary residence can result in a rejection for some lenders. Other lenders are ok with it. I'm a DSCR loan broker and I can connect you to the best financing for you. Give me a call

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Gonzalez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 24 2024, 16:05

Hi Michael, do you currently have any investment properties in your portfolio?