General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Sandy G.
Votes |
Prospective Tenant wants discounted rent to buy new furniture

Sandy G.
Posted Mar 4 2024, 21:22

Hello there!  Thought you all might get a chuckle out of this one.  Had some prospective tenants check out one of our rentals today.  I had asked them multiple screening questions prior to the showing and then toward the end of the showing and out of nowhere they asked if they could receive a discount on the first month's rent so that they could buy new furniture... living room, dining room and bedroom sets.  What???  They supposedly have been living somewhere for 1 year and produced a letter from their landlord singing their praises of what great tenants they are  (which we all know anyone could have written).  I couldn't help myself so I asked "don't you have furniture now in the place you are currently renting?"  They said they do but they need bigger furniture since our rental is bigger...  I guess when you start to think you've heard all the reasons one could ask for discounted rent, you find out clearly you have not.  Turns out their total monthly income is too low ($600 shy of 2 month's rent -- we require it to be at least 3 months).  I love how they leave that part out when you are screening them over the phone.  Next...  

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Mar 4 2024, 22:15

Could not have said it any better. Next!

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Mar 5 2024, 04:41
That is hilarious! Hey were broke basically but why not lie to your prospective landlord, I guess? Haha...While no one has ever asked me to discount rents because of furniture, they do ask for a big decrease in rent sometimes. Apt is listed at 1400...they show up and ask if you will take 1100, etc. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 5 2024, 05:32
Quote from @Sandy G.:

The real funny part is that there are other Landlords that will accept it.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sandy G.
Votes |
Replied Mar 5 2024, 08:35
Quote from @Ray Hage:
That is hilarious! Hey were broke basically but why not lie to your prospective landlord, I guess? Haha...While no one has ever asked me to discount rents because of furniture, they do ask for a big decrease in rent sometimes. Apt is listed at 1400...they show up and ask if you will take 1100, etc. 
I know I hate when that happens, argh so frustrating!  They also show up and try to haggle the amount to move in when I already clearly stated on the phone how much it is …. 3 months rent.  They’ll say we only have 2.  Already learned that lesson.  Installment plans don’t work.  If they don’t have the full amount today, they NEVER will.  

User Stats

Votes
Sandy G.
Votes |
Replied Mar 5 2024, 08:37
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Sandy G.:

The real funny part is that there are other Landlords that will accept it.

Oh Lordy that’s scary! In time, they’ll learn.