Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Logan Rex
Votes |
Own Single Family Home. Do I downsize to a condo?

Logan Rex
Posted Apr 10 2024, 13:41

I currently own a 3b,2.5b single family home. 1800 sq ft. I am currently in the market of buying something else, thinking about downsizing to a condo. I would then rent out my SFH. BUT, I just want to know if I downsize and buy a luxury condo, is that a good investment? Of course my relator says yes but others I've talked to said to get a townhome instead. I do plan on living in the condo for at least a year or 2 then trying to move and buy another property. Advice please!

User Stats

Votes
Grace Gudenkauf
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tucson AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tucson AZ
Replied Apr 10 2024, 15:29

I like sticking with non-HOA single family homes. Is there a reason you are considering only condo or townhome?

User Stats

Votes
Logan Rex
Votes |
Replied Apr 10 2024, 15:43

I want to downsize since I'm the only one living in the SFH. I've been looking around and the areas that I like, I can't afford a house. Or, the houses I can afford are older, need work, and are not in the best areas. Most places have HOAs out here, but again the neighborhoods with lower HOAs arent good areas.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Grace Gudenkauf
Pro Member
  • Tucson AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tucson AZ
Replied Apr 10 2024, 15:55

That makes sense. I would caution against a luxury rental in general as an investment property. While there are certainly cases where they can make great money, in general your best recession-proof best is likely a more "average" home. There will be a much bigger tenant pool at that price point.  

User Stats

Votes
Logan Rex
Votes |
Replied Apr 10 2024, 15:59

I appreciate your advice so much! I have another question. My real estate agent told me not to purchase 2 bed, 2 bath single family homes as they don’t rent well. How do you feel about that?