Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
So I've got a couple rentals posted on Craigslist. I get an inquiry from someone in the U.K. who is transferring here and s/he absolutely loves the house. I tell them the rent and security deposit.
So next email I am informed that my new tenant will send me a check for $3000 to cover first month's rent and deposit of $1500, and as soon as I get it will I immediately send another check to their interior decorator for $1500.....
Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
17y
Another scam that is going around CL is people lifting your photos and info and running their own ad for your home.
They are generally based out of the country and are doing "God's" work - they got called out of the US on a missionary trip and had to leave their home - so if you mail them the rent and security deposit they will mail you a key to the home and you can stay there until they come back to the US in a few years.
I have found several ads for my homes up on others CL ads - I have started to watermark all my photos with a phone number or a website address.
Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
17y
Another scam that is going around CL is people lifting your photos and info and running their own ad for your home.
They are generally based out of the country and are doing "God's" work - they got called out of the US on a missionary trip and had to leave their home - so if you mail them the rent and security deposit they will mail you a key to the home and you can stay there until they come back to the US in a few years.
I have found several ads for my homes up on others CL ads - I have started to watermark all my photos with a phone number or a website address.
Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
17y
I get the same person trying to rent my houses, too. Weird how someone from the UK is always trying to move here and want's to rent a place sight unseen.
I take one of two appraoches.
In one, I just tell them that as soon as they're in the country, they can give me a call and if its still available, they can have a look.
In the other, I tell them, fine, send the check. But, I will hold it for one month before doing anything more.
Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
17y
Originally posted by Scott M.:
Another scam that is going around CL is people lifting your photos and info and running their own ad for your home.
They are generally based out of the country and are doing "God's" work - they got called out of the US on a missionary trip and had to leave their home - so if you mail them the rent and security deposit they will mail you a key to the home and you can stay there until they come back to the US in a few years.
I have found several ads for my homes up on others CL ads - I have started to watermark all my photos with a phone number or a website address.
Scott. This is exactly what happened to me. I listed my guest unit here in California for rent and before I knew it, I get angry e-mail messages with the link that shows my property with all the photos and the address but a different phone number and contact info. Needless to say I reedited my ad warning people about the scam.
Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
17y
LOL I just get those spam emails saying that they are some beneficianry to some large amount of money and want my contact info so they can arrange a transfer in exchange for a cut of the money lol yeah riggggggggggggggght :roll:
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
17y
I actually had a guy "Calvin" walk someone around the outside of a house that I was rehabbing. The wantabee tenant showed up a few days later when I was there and he wanted me, (the maintenance man) to show him around. Then he proceded to tell me about Calvin trying to rent my house out. Luckily this poor guy didn't give Calvin a deposit.
I quickly posted notes on the windows stating that if Calvin is showing you this house, he is does not own it and he is a scam artist. I also posted a notice on CL warning Calvin that if I catch up to him, that I would break his legs.
Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
17y
I don't remember the guys name, though I did get similar names from different ads. It was some doctor, and when I googled the name I did find a doctor in England by that name. But the hospital was different, and the story didn't match up with the info about the actual guy.
The "This American Life" series on NPR had a piece a while back about scam baiters that leads these guys on a while goose chase. The baiting covered in the story took place over many months and led the scammer on a merry chase from Nigeria to Kenya with continuing stories of a guy who was supposed to meet the scammer with a pocket full of money, but that he always managed to just miss.