Heads up re. Craigslist

Heads up re. Craigslist

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Heads up,
This isn't official, just something I've observed. Thieves, especially those of the copper thief variety, are using addresses posted on "houses for rent" on Craigslist to target houses. Don't put the address on the listing. Don't e-mail reply to any inquiries with an address. Take phone calls and if they block the number, get their info first.

Tim

10Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Gallatin, TN · Member since 2009 · 292 posts · 164 votes
16y

Chris - Recycling for Money ....

I've had both the Furnace and AC Unit stolen from one of my houses in Memphis .... Not fun & Expensive to repair.

We cage our AC units in Memphis (Literally - A cage cemented to the ground) and the thieves straight up broke the cage and took the unit.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    good tip Tim. How did you come to this conclusion?

    ya gotta admit though, pretty smart of the thieves. Craigslist has so many criminals using it that it makes it hard to want to use.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Took 2 copper thefts on an otherwise unmarked property within 48 hours of listing on craigslist to figure out. Could be hypothetical but properties I didn't list the address on CL didn't get touched.

    There is also a hypothetical situation. Hypothetically let's say there's a tenant who informed a landlord she was going to break the lease. Let's say this lease is on a house in a neighborhood that virtually no one knows about and has experienced one theft in the past 10 years. Let's say this landlord informs her that because of her decision to break the lease he must list the house for rent and uses craigslist figuring because it's occupied, thieves will leave it alone. Let's say hypothetically within 3 days of listing it on Craigslist, the tenants scooter is stolen from their front yard, kind of like this hypothetical landlord's rent is being stolen from him. Let's say karma's a bi--h. :wink: Let's say this is the final indicator to this landlord that Craigslist is an easy way to case vacant property. That could be a scenario right there.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 289 posts · 95 votes
    16y

    What do the thieves do with the copper piping? It must be fairly lucrative because I hear of copper thefts all over the country. I'm just wondering what happens after that? Recycle it for money? Sell it to a builder?

  • Realtor · Gallatin, TN · Member since 2009 · 292 posts · 164 votes
    16y

    Chris - Recycling for Money ....

    I've had both the Furnace and AC Unit stolen from one of my houses in Memphis .... Not fun & Expensive to repair.

    We cage our AC units in Memphis (Literally - A cage cemented to the ground) and the thieves straight up broke the cage and took the unit.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 289 posts · 95 votes
    16y

    Thanks Steve. That's what I figured. Crazy about that AC unit! I guess if someone really wants it, they will find a way...

  • Real Estate Investor · Copley, OH · Member since 2009 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    They sell it to scrap yards for cash. Aluminum siding is also being targeted. Although not as much because it is easier to be seen stripping it off the house. They will usually do the back of the house or a side that has no neighbor.

  • Realtor · Gallatin, TN · Member since 2009 · 292 posts · 164 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Christopher W.:
    Thanks Steve. That's what I figured. Crazy about that AC unit! I guess if someone really wants it, they will find a way...


    Same reason why 90% of HUD homes (atleast in TN, and other parts of the midwest) have been stripped of their HVAC units.

    You advertise the address - It gets taken. HUD & Craigslist advertise specific addresses = Expensive equipment gets taken.

    Yeah, the thieves in our case were pretty brazen. Not only the AC unit, but they broke in through a sliding glass window, went upstairs, and took the furnace as well ....

    Really quite sad ....

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Good tip, Tim. But have you had any negative experience with posting a "For Rent" sign in front of one of your vacant properties? This way thieves don't even need the address?

  • Property Manager · Dublin, OH · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 291 votes
    16y

    I think there is no specific way to protect a propertie in this case.
    But craigslist or a realtor/broker website is nationwide a "For Rent" or "For Sale" sign only in this street.

    -Uwe

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2010 · 155 posts · 16 votes
    16y

    Great tips: I used to recycle everything metal I could get my hands its actually pretty good money. Lately I have started posting my for Sale Houses with a disclaimer that says " Due to security reasons and vacant property I can't put the address on CL. This seems to be working so far. Just a thought.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Max I:
    Good tip, Tim. But have you had any negative experience with posting a "For Rent" sign in front of one of your vacant properties? This way thieves don't even need the address?


    Yes. Same experience. I had a vacant house that was untouched through 4-5 months of the buying process and the rehab process. When I put a for rent sign out it was broken into within 2 days.
  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    16y

    Great info! I never gave that a thought. I have used Craigs List many times in the past and always put the address in.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    Glad you posted this info! A vacant property is always a target, on and off Craigslist.

    I have used Craigslist for all of my rentals wth great success. However, I never put up an exact address, always something like 34xx Main St, with a tel # for appointments.

    A 'For Rent' Sign may invite thieves as well. I would never consider it, since many are checking out your neighborhoods! People are very observant.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    I have a subdivision in SO TX. Here is my suggestion. Buy some of these dummie surveillance cameras (really cheap from some of these surplus selling mags). If home is completed, put one above front door and one over a/c unit. Leave porch light on. I think thieves case the house before attacking it.
    Add a sign on each location notifying everyone to smile, they're on TV! Also explain there are more cameras inside the house. I haven't had any copper or a/c units stolen on any properties. Rich

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    16y

    Thanks for the tip Tim.
    I always feel better about offering on an REO that still has the compressor unit outside. I just gives me a "Warm and Fuzzy" about the neighbors.
    Don

  • Investor · Atascadero, CA · Member since 2015 · 238 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    I had all the copper stolen out of a house I had just completed rehab. Had a lockbox so at first I thought it was one of the contractors. The locksmith told me thieves have been targeting houses with lockboxes. They bolt cut the lockbox off and take it somewhere to get it open then return with the key. I was just thankful my brand new stainless appliances were not stolen too. Cost me $1,800.00 to replumb. They even stole some blinds still in boxes that had not been installed yet. Insurance considered it theft and not vandalism. Although I had insurance for an unoccupied dwelling I didn't have coverage for theft. Now I do.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.