Mike Burton
  • Vienna, VA
Votes |
Military New to the area and looking

Mike Burton
  • Vienna, VA
Posted Apr 23 2015, 19:24

Greetings everyone!

My name is Mike and I moved to Vienna, VA from Destin, Fl. I am active duty Air Force and am doing a fellowship at Johns Hopkins SAIS this year and working in legislative affairs for the DOD next. I like to do real estate on the side and have experience in rental properties and tax lien certificates.

I am looking to connect with other people that do wholesale or rehab or to help anybody that's interested in tax lien certificates or rental properties. I'd also love to connect with anybody in the area that likes to golf or duck hunt :-)

Mike

User Stats

Votes
James Quinn
  • Realtor
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Apr 23 2015, 21:20

Hi Mike, welcome. I used to live in Fredericksburg, VA and Miami, FL; not too far from your locations. I am getting into rental properties and tax lien certificates. I also used to work for the DOD as an Engineer.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Stratton
  • Investor
  • West Springfield, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • West Springfield, VA
Replied Apr 24 2015, 05:13

Welcome Mike. I'M active Air Force and recently moved to the area as well. I found an REI group here of BP members that meets monthly. @Roger Lin set it up, as well as the Facebook site Capital REI Group.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Apr 24 2015, 05:17

Welcome to BP community @Mike Burton It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select that person below. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best! 

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Apr 24 2015, 06:11

@Mike Burton welcome to BP. There are a lot of members here from the area. There are also several REI groups in NOVA.

User Stats

Votes
Carson Sweezy
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Apr 24 2015, 09:59

@Mike Burton @Erik Stratton 

The Capital REI group is great! I have been to the last two meetings and find it to be a great mix between experienced investors and others in the industry looking to invest. The networking is great, and they don't try to sell stuff.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Oconnell
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Apr 25 2015, 13:39

Welcome to Bigger Pockets Mike! I have been a real estate investor and broker in the Fredericksburg/Stafford/Spotsylvania area for several years. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Good luck!

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Sara Cunningham
  • Investor
  • Chesapeake Beach, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chesapeake Beach, MD
Replied Apr 25 2015, 18:16

Welcome to BP. We are ex Air Force now DOD. Came back from Italy a few months ago. Now living in Md. We have several properties in Oklahoma but haven't actually bought anything here yet.

Good luck.

Sara

User Stats

Votes
Mike Burton
  • Vienna, VA
Votes |
  • Vienna, VA
Replied Apr 26 2015, 08:31

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I'll be sure to check out the Capital REI group. I won't be able to make the meeting this week, but hopefully next month.

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Colegrove
  • Hanford, CA
Votes |
  • Hanford, CA
Replied Apr 26 2015, 12:07

Welcome! 

My husband is active duty. Our goal is to buy houses throughout his time so that when he retires at 20 years (god and navy willing) we can live on the cash flow and his retirement being independent financially!

Look forward to seeing you around!