Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Mortenson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Hello from New York. Currently an AssetMgr, would like to learn to Wholesale and Rehab

Brandon Mortenson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York, NY
Posted Jul 7 2010, 06:33

Ive been working for a Real Estate Investment Fund for a couple months now, selling nationwide REO's that we purchase from the bank, basically wholesaling properties but not learning much about what the investors who Im selling to are really looking for.

I enjoy the process of working with investors and selling properties, however my real goal is to learn how to wholesale for myself and where to start.

I currently live in Brooklyn. If i were, for example, to birddog for some investors initially, would I need to work with properties near where I live? And what should I be looking for; comps, repair estimates, taxes. Im sure there's a lot more to it.

I welcome all questions. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jul 7 2010, 07:04

Hi, welcome to BP. I'd suggest you attend a local REI club and meet the investors in your area, and take it from there. You might ask them as to what they are looking for. Get your game plan set along the lines of your market, in other words, see what your customers want and fill the need.

As to how to qualify a property as a deal, read the forums here and review the appraisal process. Good luck, Bill

Account Closed
  • Landlord
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Landlord
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jul 7 2010, 11:53

Welcome Brandon.

You can learn a lot about wholesaling here and I suspect you may be able to find some interest for REOs that you might have.

BP is a great place to learn and connect and IMO you get the most out of the opportunity when you share, ask questions and otherwise build connections. RE investing is very much about communicating with people.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Ted Harris
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Portland, OR
Replied Jul 7 2010, 12:40

Welcome to BP Nation Brandon!!

User Stats

Votes
Champak Shah
  • Stone Mountain, GA
Votes |
  • Stone Mountain, GA
Replied Oct 30 2010, 01:20

Brandon, Welcome to BP.
Yes --going to local REI club meetings --but more important --find New Yourk Investors group here in BP and talk or meet with few.

Go to search and read all articles --forums about Wholesaling --specifically Justins article on Wholesaling Costs Estimate --and my Comments --as far as Rehab cost estimates and what Rehabber pay for --check Jason Scott's posts here in BP and his website --

You may have to leave your job--Conflict of Interest --make sure not to burn bridges. Keep good relationship with one or two people there-

Do JV --partnership with them --use their funds --you will need transactional funding to do wholesale ---

[REMOVED]

Good Luck

User Stats

Votes
Phil Petite
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Feb 8 2011, 07:53

Hey Brandon,

These guys are all correct, go to meet ups and local REI clubs. Have you had any success meeting people yet?

I go to a great meetup called the Tri State Mixer. You can google it and just RSVP for the next event, it's free.

Best of luck,
Phil