• Durham, NC
Votes |
New investor, ADU developer, soon to be broker in Durham, NC

Christopher Anderson
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Posted Oct 29 2020, 12:10

Hi BP community, 

My name is Chris Anderson, and I moved from NYC to Durham with my wife Jane (and our baby penguin, Pablo) back in March. I just finished my pre-licensing course and will be taking the NC RE Exam in a few weeks. In the meantime, we are actively looking for investment opportunities in the triangle area. I'm particularly interested in 2br/1ba bungalow style homes. We're hoping to put in an offer on a few SFH in the area soon. I'm also beginning to develop a business around the design, construction, financing, and property managing Accessory Dwelling Units in the area.

Happy to connect to discuss any and all aspects of the real estate marketplace. And if anyone knows someone who is planning to make the move to the triangle, I'm happy to share some of the lessons we learned and resources we leaned on making this transition during this past year.  Best way to connect with me for now is to send me a message directly here on the forums. 

Thanks! Chris

User Stats

Votes
Karl Brenner
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 29 2020, 15:56

Welcome Chris,

I have recently relocated from NY to Murrells Inlet SC. I plan on looking for duplexes in Triangle area. Maybe at some point we can get together. 

Karl

Brenner

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Anderson
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Replied Oct 30 2020, 07:53

Hi Karl,

Congrats on your move. I can say Duplexes are hard to find round here at the moment, but perhaps we'll see more inventory come online in beginning of 2021. 

Is Murrell's near Pawleys Island by chance?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Oct 30 2020, 09:59

@Christopher Anderson welcome to BP.

A Penguin! That's awesome.

User Stats

Votes
Karl Brenner
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 3 2020, 08:17

Hey Chris,

Yes, Murrells Inlet is 20 miles north of Pawleys Island! 

Are you familiar ?

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Anderson
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Replied Nov 4 2020, 11:55
Originally posted by @Karl Brenner:

Hey Chris,

Yes, Murrells Inlet is 20 miles north of Pawleys Island! 

Are you familiar ?

Only very slightly. Mom's side of the family had relatives there. Was there once as a kid.  How is the market there?

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Anderson
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Replied Nov 4 2020, 11:58
Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

@Christopher Anderson welcome to BP.

A Penguin! That's awesome.

Thanks. We've decided that Pablo is gonna be CPO (chief penguin officer) of the real estate company we build.

User Stats

Votes
Karl Brenner
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 4 2020, 12:06

Market is hot like most right now ! Nothing sitting and deals harder to find. Looking to educate myself more then jump in when market changes. 

User Stats

Votes
Annchen Knodt
  • Investor
  • Durham NC (and Brenham, TX)
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Durham NC (and Brenham, TX)
Replied Nov 9 2020, 05:45

Hi @Christopher Anderson, welcome to BP and to Durham!  I hope that you, your wife, and your penguin (awesome!) are enjoying NC so far :-)

Depending on what your investing goals are, you may find that you have better luck with properties in the secondary / tertiary markets around the triangle.  For cash flow, lots of folks go out to places like Fayetteville, Sanford, Rocky Mount, Burlington, etc.  But perhaps your CPO can help you win contracts in the hot Durham market!

Also if you haven't done so already, I highly recommend adding keyword alerts for Raleigh/Durham so that you'll get notifications whenever a BP meetup is scheduled (usually second Wed of the month).  Those are a great way to get to know local investors - more difficult now with COVID and colder weather but hopefully won't be too long before things start normalizing again.