• Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Pet Peeves

Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Posted Jan 14 2010, 16:30

I can't stand people who use incorrect grammar (contractions)..... I just have to let it out!!!! I almost don't even want to log in to sites anymore.

Quick lesson.

You - I hope you know what this is and means.
Your - This is YOUR possession.
You're - You are!!!!! You're going to the store for me aren't you?

They - As in those people. They like me, they really like me!
They're - As in they are. No, they don't like you, they're just saying that.
Their and theirs - Their rights as citizens have been forfeited. The choice was theirs to make.
There- Like In or at a place opposed to here. It's over there.
There's- Like There is. There's some real estate I want to purchase.

People please educate yourselves. Professionals will not (won't) and can not (can't) see you as a professional when you write things like...

Your just gonna have to get over their. That is not a sentence!!!!! AAARRRGHHH!!!
Plus it really makes me want to :shoot:

Honestly, when I come across a professional who uses third grade grammar like this, I have to ignore every word that comes out of their mouth. If you can't grasp these simple concepts how in the hell are you going to put together a complex, multi-million dollar deal?

User Stats

Votes
Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jan 19 2010, 06:06
Originally posted by NC Mark:
there are three cases where you absolutely MUST adhere to all the rules:

1) In your resume, especially if you are a college graduate.

2) On any website you create.

3) In most professional communication arenas (teaching, writing, lecturing, seminar-ing, and so forth).

However, when you're really bold you get to invent words like 'seminar-ing'...... (and then use lots of dots after for dramatic shading........)

I couldn't agree more... :wink:

User Stats

Votes
Mike McKinzie
  • Investor
  • Westminster, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Westminster, CO
Replied Jan 20 2010, 04:17

On a personal level, grammar may be a pet peeve to you. But that in no way prohibits success. My uncle can barely read or write, but he makes six figures A MONTH, all from Real Estate Investments.

Their is know weigh eye kan convence yu too chang you're mind, butt yu hev two edmit that yu kan reed dis.

Communication DOES NOT require proper grammar.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Jan 20 2010, 06:07

Many of the users here at BP will agree that real estate investing requires attention to details. Especially because sometimes the details do matter.

Here's one to consider; the two words I will be using in this example were in that older thread that I had posted earlier on in this thread.

Say you have an offer - whether you are the buyer or seller is not relevant for this example. And a counteroffer is written up with wording as follows:

"The following terms of the offer have been excepted:"

vs.

"The following terms of the offer have been accepted:"

To me, those are quite opposite statements, and writing down the correct one for your circumstance carries significance. But some users here on BP have been guilty of interchanging those two words despite their having such distinct meaning.

Sure, we can read the posts here on the forum, and we can figure out the intentions of a piece of gibberish. But why not try to practice better habits, since "practice makes perfect"?

The reason that the older thread did not touch off anybody may have to do with the wording; people just mentioned being annoyed. Myka used a bit harsher language, for which she has already expressed apologies.

And to Mike M: I agree with you! My parents also were not the best with English (they were born elsewhere), yet they had quite a valuable collection of rentals when they passed away. Having people around you to help with some of the details is how they managed to deal with poor English.

User Stats

Votes
Timothy W.#3 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Replied Jan 20 2010, 09:33
Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
Many of the users here at BP will agree that real estate investing requires attention to details. Especially because sometimes the details do matter.

You'd think that, but when people can't wrap their mind around 2% and 50% I don't give them much hope for keeping grammar together.

User Stats

Votes
Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jan 20 2010, 10:28
Originally posted by Mike M:

Their is know weigh eye kan convence yu too chang you're mind, butt yu hev two edmit that yu kan reed dis.

Communication DOES NOT require proper grammar.

True indeed.

Tim... Love the Pic... One of my favorite characters and movie. Almost wish I would have thought of it. :lol:

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Feb 17 2010, 03:14

For those who thought my last example may have been a bit contrived ... well, you just can't make some of this up :D

Excerpt below taken from this thread:
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/69/topics/28741-promote-your-buyer-s-list-here-?page=9

Originally posted by Nick Johnson:
... ALL BUYERS EXCEPTED: Cash Investors or Finance Buyers!

So if you are a buyer and plan on joining Nick's list, please don't have either cash or financing, because you will be "EXCEPTED". I guess he will only ACCEPT those who have some other payment means ... maybe barter or trade?!? :D