Consumer Perception of Squeeze Pages

Consumer Perception of Squeeze Pages

Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes

These days if you're doing any searching online you'll come across squeeze pages regularly. I don't know about you, but typically this is a turn off for me and I usually just move on regardless of my interest for a product or service.

I'm curious how other consumers here react to these pages? Do they work for those of you that use them?

My reaction could be purely an age thing. Feel free to share your perspective on this marketing tool.

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
14y

I very, very rarely sign up on one of these. I never sign up for one for any real estate topic.

First, if I do I know I'm giving someone my e-mail. They're likely to spread it far and wide no matter what claims them make about the importance of privacy about my e-mail.

Second, the "free report" I get is unlikely to contain any useful information. At best, its some basic info to tease you appetite to sign up for more. More likely, its either something that came with a "web site kit" or its a piece of content farm quality writing. By web site kit I mean the person with the web site bought a template web site from someone, probably some guru, and it included the "free report". By content farm I mean its something someone paid a content author a minimal charge to write. The author spent an hour googling a topic they know nothing about and another hour assembling what they found into a few paragraphs.

So, I just don't expect to get anything useful from these "squeeze pages".

This isn't the proper term, but no "legitimate" site uses this technique. If you're trying to buy a product or service from a company that's truly offering the product or service, you can find the info right there on their web site. You don't have to provide an e-mail address to find out what they're selling. The ONLY purpose of these squeeze pages is to capture a lead.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2009 · 408 posts · 196 votes
    14y

    Hey Charles,

    Great question! I run across squeeze pages all the time and while they are easy to spot, and I know the point of them, I do tend to pay attention to them to see if there is any relevant information I can take or if its purely marketing. I know ahead of time when I sign up for my "free report" I will automatically be put into a drip campaign to be upsold, but I go into it knowing that and actually study the pages now to see what grabs me and what doesn't so I know how to position any squeeze pages I do. Its truly a numbers game with squeeze pages, and if you can get 1 out of every 100 to sign up and it doesn't take much effort, then its worth it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    14y

    I very, very rarely sign up on one of these. I never sign up for one for any real estate topic.

    First, if I do I know I'm giving someone my e-mail. They're likely to spread it far and wide no matter what claims them make about the importance of privacy about my e-mail.

    Second, the "free report" I get is unlikely to contain any useful information. At best, its some basic info to tease you appetite to sign up for more. More likely, its either something that came with a "web site kit" or its a piece of content farm quality writing. By web site kit I mean the person with the web site bought a template web site from someone, probably some guru, and it included the "free report". By content farm I mean its something someone paid a content author a minimal charge to write. The author spent an hour googling a topic they know nothing about and another hour assembling what they found into a few paragraphs.

    So, I just don't expect to get anything useful from these "squeeze pages".

    This isn't the proper term, but no "legitimate" site uses this technique. If you're trying to buy a product or service from a company that's truly offering the product or service, you can find the info right there on their web site. You don't have to provide an e-mail address to find out what they're selling. The ONLY purpose of these squeeze pages is to capture a lead.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2012 · 184 posts · 76 votes
    14y

    My reaction: Yecchhh. These guys can't make a living being straight forward, so they put this cheese puff website up. I'm not giving these suckers my info!

    I don't think it's an age thing, because they had the equivalent of squeeze pages in comics... I thought they were dumb way back when. ACT NOW- RECEIVE FREE SPY GLASSES!

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    What I dislike the most is that I don't get much sense of the product or services being sold. These pages tend to be teasers and suggest that they might have something you want.

    I feel the same way about free trial subscriptions that require a credit card. I don't know that it even works but they now have a tool to cause mischief.

  • Real Estate Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2009 · 408 posts · 196 votes
    14y

    For me what is the worst is a biased review of a product designed to get you to buy it. Take all the Forex sites out there, they try to give consumers reviews but in all reality they are not giving consumers an unbiased opinion. For me those squeeze pages are mis-leading. That is unfortunate because I know there are some good squeeze pages out there

  • Real Estate Investor · Dale City, VA · Member since 2008 · 317 posts · 77 votes
    14y

    Squeeze pages are like warranty cards. It's just a way to gain any info they can for marketing purposes.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    Demos Loizides, I have no problem with people using these or any other marketing tool. Just curious how well they work and how other consumers perceive them.

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    In and of themselves, I don't think there is anything inherently bad in a squeeze page. I love that Kevin Kaczmarek analyzes it to improve his own marketing.

    The problem is that 99% of them provide no useful information once you've given up your email address. Now mine, on the other hand.....:-) Just kidding, I don't have a squeeze page.

    I will admit, however, that occasionally I read them out of curiosity and occasionally sign up. I'm almost always sorry, however. I do use an email address that doesn't forward to my main email, however.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    I agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with this type of marketing. I think though that consumers get gun shy because they do check some these sites out and get little or nothing. The shame is that there probably are many sites that are worthwhile but they might get ignored because of the weeds. Even in a field of weeds you find some flowers.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Charles Perkins, most likely they are flowering weeds, certainly not a tulip!

    I don't give information at all to any site that looks like any deal or where the wizzard is behind the curtain.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.