Brick Water Repellent

Brick Water Repellent

Rental Property Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2014 · 249 posts · 81 votes

I am having some brick re-pointing quotes done for my town house in Virginia and a water repellent treatment was added to one of my quotes.  It was recommended that every 10 years of so this treatment be done.  The product in this case is marketed as 100% breathable - allowing moisture to escape.

Recently, on my NY (Rochester area) home we had some mason work done on the brick portion of that house.  When my father asked the mason that did the work about the water repellent treatment -- the mason advised against it.  The mason had mentioned that because of the freeze / thaw cycles in NYS and the sealants ability to seal and trap moisture, that he has done significant repair work.  The mason in NY did say that if there were a breathable product that it may work out.  But from that statement I took it to mean that he was not familiar with the product that was being offered to me.  

I am wondering if anyone has any experience for feedback for sealing brick exteriors with a 100% breathable product.  In a climates such as the Mid-Atlantic or regions that experience dramatic freeze / thaw seasons.

Thanks.

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

I've never used any kind of treatment like you are talking about and I have several brick homes that are over 50 years old and the brick is like new.

If you apply it one time there it will need to be reapplied in the future.  I'm not saying it's a bad idea but I have never seen the need for it.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · Signal Hill, CA · Member since 2015 · 521 posts · 70 votes
    11y

    theres so many sealers on the market, many which are broad spec (wood, concrete, brick, tile, etc)

    one thing i notice is they are all so thinned out and mostly distillates, so of course they will be breatheable being such a thin layer once dry and barely there once weathered (sun, wind, moisture, heat)

    i use them anyway, go thru lots of gallon tin containers.. mostly thomsons breatheable

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I've never used any kind of treatment like you are talking about and I have several brick homes that are over 50 years old and the brick is like new.

    If you apply it one time there it will need to be reapplied in the future.  I'm not saying it's a bad idea but I have never seen the need for it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2014 · 249 posts · 81 votes
    11y

    Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

    @Bob B. - thank you also for sharing your experience.  After speaking with my NY Mason, reading your post and speaking with a neighbor in my neighborhood -- I have decided not to seal the brick.  Just do the re-pointing.  

    Thanks again to the both of you for sharing your experiences.

    All the best!

  • Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    I am familiar with a product used on concrete that repels effloresence.  This is a breathable material that is non film forming. It works great to stop white spots from showing on concrete, and could work on brick. BD classic is the manufacturer out of California. I beleive it is called Effloresence Blocker.

  • Rental Property Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2014 · 249 posts · 81 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @A Schweda:

    I am familiar with a product used on concrete that repels effloresence.  This is a breathable material that is non film forming. It works great to stop white spots from showing on concrete, and could work on brick. BD classic is the manufacturer out of California. I beleive it is called Effloresence Blocker.

     Thanks for the feedback @A Schweda.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.