Northern New Jersey · Member since 2009 · 43 posts · 65 votes
17y
Originally posted by MikeOH:
Unless you're a minimum wage call center employee, YOU DON'T NEED A SCRIPT! Real estate investing is a people business and you've got to learn to talk naturally to people.
Mike
Until that happens a script helps!
Just wondering why people can't just answer the question like Curtis did.
There always has to be one person who is obnoxious or has to add an unnecessary comment.
People are here for advice or help otherwise this place wouldn't be necessary. We don't ask questions to get back sarcastic comments.
Sorry had to say something, if you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all.
And you certainly don't have to shout it out in caps.
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
Unless you're a minimum wage call center employee, YOU DON'T NEED A SCRIPT! Real estate investing is a people business and you've got to learn to talk naturally to people.
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
17y
Terry,
I will do my best to help you.
Ring.. Hello
Yes I am calling about the home in the newspaper for sale located at 123 Main St, is it still available.
Yes it is still available.
Great, can you tell me about it.
Well its a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom home, blah blah, etc.
It sounds like a great home. I notice you are asking X for it. Is this your best offer?
Your not an investor are you!!!
No, do I have to be?
I have received so many low ball offers I am about to go crazy!!
I am very interested in the property but I am looking for something in this price range, is this something you would consider?
This is a basic script used for calling cold leads from the newspaper or any seller for that matter. MikeOH is correct that this is a people business but lets face it, scripts were meant to help people with a starting place and you can then develop it into your own. I hope you take what I have said and tweek it into your own.
Northern New Jersey · Member since 2009 · 43 posts · 65 votes
17y
Originally posted by MikeOH:
Unless you're a minimum wage call center employee, YOU DON'T NEED A SCRIPT! Real estate investing is a people business and you've got to learn to talk naturally to people.
Mike
Until that happens a script helps!
Just wondering why people can't just answer the question like Curtis did.
There always has to be one person who is obnoxious or has to add an unnecessary comment.
People are here for advice or help otherwise this place wouldn't be necessary. We don't ask questions to get back sarcastic comments.
Sorry had to say something, if you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all.
And you certainly don't have to shout it out in caps.
Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
17y
"MikeOH needs sensitivity training" - Now that brought a smile to my face!!!!!!!!!
When you call, have the mindset that the person on the other line has a problem, and you have the solution!
No matter what objections they have, you already have the answers.
The facts are in your favor. A vacant house generating no income, increased liability, and some stress.
I do agree with MikeOH in the sense that a script can actually do you more harm then good.
My advice is to believe in yourself, your solution, and be very authentic to the person on the phone.
This will make your success rate much higher than any script ever could.
I see you have some passion inside by your tone in the thread, now channel that energy into as many phone calls a day as you can make, and success will follow!
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
Arlene,
Do you want the TRUTH or just someone to pat you on the back? To list a script when in my opinion they are ridiculous would be hypocritical and patronizing. If you want to be patronized, I'll be happy to answer all YOUR questions in that fashion (telling you what I think you want to hear), but I'm going to assume that everyone else would prefer to hear the truth.
Harrison is absolutely right on this issue, if you want to be successful, you need to be authentic. It's easy - just talk to them! Reading from a script will make you sound anything but authentic.
...and speaking of being authentic, I would certainly not lie to the seller. If they ask if I'm an investor, I would certainly say YES and I would further tell them that I need to buy their house cheap enough to make a profit! I'm in business to make money and desperate sellers won't care how much I make - they just want to get rid of their problem!
Real Estate Investor · Lakeview, NY · Member since 2009 · 309 posts · 49 votes
17y
Unfortunately, I've personally pelted MikeOH with numerous questions (among others of course) and he's always been graceous enough to answer EVERY SINGLE ONE (had to put that one in caps...MikeOH style).
No offense to everyone else who has helped me. There are a lot of very keen individuals on this site. You WILL (caps again) learn a lot here.
Real Estate Investor · Lakeview, NY · Member since 2009 · 309 posts · 49 votes
17y
Hmmm, if I remember, Mike's caps weren't even directed toward you? Not sure why you'd feel offended? No one is trying to make anyone feel stupid on this site. Actually with some of the more "stupid" questions I've asked, they've made me feel nothing but comfortable. maybe the lightening up would be a good idea.
Real Estate Coach · Highland, IN · Member since 2009 · 151 posts · 77 votes
17y
Terry
When we talk w sellers, we are very casual about it. To start w we simply asl then if they have a house for sale.. if they say no, they you can polietly pre screen them and let them go.
If they say yes, we just say Great, can you tell me a little bit about it.
Here is our form that we fill out as we talk with the seller, It is editable, so you can type in the fields and save it on you hard drive. Saving the planet one piece of paper at a time.....
Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
Tony, I pretty much follow the same outline, however I plug it into my property analyzer program while I'm chatting.
It's amazing how much of that info they'll tell you while you're just in regular conversation with them.
Terry, I'll give you a tidbit of some specific things that I say to quickly decide if the conversation is going any further.
" Mr/Mrs seller, briefly tell me about the house and why you need to sell"
" Mr/Mrs seller, would you sell for what you owe on the mortgage if I could close on it quickly"
" Mr/Mrs seller, would you take a cash discount for the equity in your home if I were to close quickly"
" Mr/Mrs seller, would you be open to creative offers that allowed for a quicker sale of your home without Realtor fee's/commissions"
Again those aren't "scripts" however they are to me "fact finding" conversation starter questions. If I don't hear what I consider "close me please mr. investor" keywords which is basically "yes" to any of those questions then I'm quickly and politely ending the conversation and moving on.
When we talk w sellers, we are very casual about it. To start w we simply asl then if they have a house for sale.. if they say no, they you can polietly pre screen them and let them go.
If they say yes, we just say Great, can you tell me a little bit about it.
Here is our form that we fill out as we talk with the seller, It is editable, so you can type in the fields and save it on you hard drive. Saving the planet one piece of paper at a time.....
Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 4 votes
12y
Like always great discussion. I think the script idea was just a way of asking a footprint of what has to be discussed when calling a potential seller. As a newbie we all don't want to miss some important information. So thanks guys for describing the attitude we should have when talking!! and
@ Tony Severino I am also interested in your form. I think the link is down or something like.
Does anyone have any good scripts they would like to share for cold calling sellers?
I would be cautious with scripts. Make a list of questions you want to ask and then maybe practice with yourself or a friend. It's really important to sound authentic and not canned.