The Truth about your E-mail Account

The Truth about your E-mail Account

Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2010 · 413 posts · 114 votes

I apologize for anyone who falls into this category but I need to discuss this because it's a pet peeve that bothers me so much!

The Truth about Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahhooo accounts!

I'm tired of receiving e-mails from ILUVHOMES@ PROPERTYMAN@ or FASTCASH@ gmail,yahoo, or whatever. If you're not taking your business seriously, why should I???

The solution to this is simply! Set up a business and get a proper e-mail account. Your Credibility just went up in my books! I bet you will get 75% higher response to your e-mails.

Would love to hear everyones thoughts on this.

9Reply
125 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2010 · 215 posts · 121 votes
15y

Mike, I can't tell you how much I agree with you.

I also work at a college, and when I do exit paperwork for graduating students, I see that thier emails are still [email protected] and they wonder why there are no jobs out there!

Really!?!?

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2010 · 215 posts · 121 votes
    15y

    Mike, I can't tell you how much I agree with you.

    I also work at a college, and when I do exit paperwork for graduating students, I see that thier emails are still [email protected] and they wonder why there are no jobs out there!

    Really!?!?

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    AGREED!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
    15y

    I think there is a middle ground.

    I use my personal email (first initial last name @ gmail) for almost everything business related.

    Why? I'm in a people business. I don't WANT to hide behind a corporate structure. Generally, I've found that people are more concerned with the content, thoroughness and responsiveness of my emails than what suffix is attached to them.

    That said- if I was doing the [email protected] I doubt anyone would care much what I have to say or how quickly I respond.

  • Investor · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2010 · 215 posts · 121 votes
    15y

    Jake you make a great point. There is a middle ground

    I think that if it is your name @ wherever.com that is totally fine. I agree that it is very much a people biz and that there are those that want that level of personal touch.

    My point was the disdain of the "vanity" names. Can't stand them.

  • Wholesaler · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 32 posts · 23 votes
    15y

    I totally agree.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I think that it is a bonus to have your own domain email, however, I think it is fine to have your name @gmail.com.

    Anything else is in poor taste in my opinion.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    I agree as well. Get a real email address. (although, with the new smart phone technology, they do require gmail accounts, as such, sending from that account from your phone is fine, but you should be sending to people who already know you have a real email account.

  • Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2010 · 413 posts · 114 votes
    15y

    Definitely good comments everyone. Lets hope we change a few e-mail accounts in the process...

    And as for Matt, now I know why I didn't get that job ;)

  • Real Estate Investor · CA · Member since 2009 · 138 posts · 19 votes
    15y

    I could not agree more with everyone. It really is such a small thing that makes a big difference.

  • Investor · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2010 · 215 posts · 121 votes
    15y

    Mike,

    I thought you looked familiar, nice email :)

    You didn't get that job because of our Eastern European heritage and that HR rep forgot how to use the "Z" key :)

    Also, [email protected] takes FOREVER to spell out to people!

    Especially since it is pronounced:
    Lev-CHEN-ko people always ask how its spelled?... Just like it sounds! duh!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Member since 2011 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    15y

    I agree as well, however I HATE my email client for my website and love using gmail, but I would never send an email from anything but my company account.

    If I could find a email client that is close to gmail or somehow mirror my company email account through gmail I would be a happy man.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y

    You know what's funny. I've seen emails like [email protected] and
    I go WTH. If you are going to start up a company at least get a business email.

    Sometimes you need to have some sort of professionalism.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Anderson, SC · Member since 2008 · 350 posts · 70 votes
    15y

    You should be able to change the "to" and reply address for a gmail account to use the professional looking address, yet retain the stuff you like about your gmail account.

  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Patrick K:
    I agree as well, however I HATE my email client for my website and love using gmail, but I would never send an email from anything but my company account.

    If I could find a email client that is close to gmail or somehow mirror my company email account through gmail I would be a happy man.

    Gmail definetly has the ability to send/receive POP3 email from other domains. I've set this up for some of my employees who prefer gmail.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I have a personal (yahoo) and a business email. On occasion I might ask a client to use my personal email to get a message to me more quickly.

    I tend to agree though that a business email account comes across as far more professional and it can still have a personal touch.

    [email protected]

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 263 posts · 147 votes
    15y

    I love my gmail account - I use it for all sites that I want to register on that I know will spam me to death. As for people who I want to talk to I use my real account.

    See how much I like you guys.
    TTFN,
    Greg

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Member since 2011 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    15y

    Thanks guys....Just start setting up my accounts and consolidating them in Gmail, was a breeze.

    Thought surely this was possible but just never took 30 seconds it required to look into it!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I agree with Jake. I think there is a middle ground. And, it really depends on the person and their personality. Personally, I don't use email that much and neither do most people I've encountered in my niche (mobile homes). But, it could be different in other areas. Good discussion! :D

  • near Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2011 · 78 posts · 33 votes
    15y

    Oh so true. And I have never understood why people don't take the time to set up email after buying the domain. Email is usually thrown in for free.

    It is so simple to register the email address and then use gmail to send/receive. You can set up gmail so that your reply to/send from address shows as your "professional" email address. The recipient would never see that it was sent from [email protected].

    Download Thunderbird (Firefox add-on) and you can manage all your gmail addresses and email from one location.

    Thunderbird saved my life.

  • near Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2011 · 78 posts · 33 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Mat Lewczenko:
    Mike, I can't tell you how much I agree with you.

    I also work at a college, and when I do exit paperwork for graduating students, I see that thier emails are still [email protected] and they wonder why there are no jobs out there!

    Really!?!?

    I will never get why people search for jobs and send resumes with those ridiculous email addresses.

    BTW, I did stop using "smakyomama." Just didn't get good responses. :D

  • Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2021 · 97 posts · 28 votes
    1y

    You're absolutely right! Even I usually flag these for spam. It's a great disservice to the businesses. But then again, it might depend on the type of business. However, I see how one may struggle to change the email, since it may have important information stored or they've reached full capacity for making new emails. I would suggest buying gmail accounts from DigitalStoreNet in such cases.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.