• Real Estate Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
A GOOD VALUATION SITE

Adarrin Smith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Posted Nov 20 2008, 19:16

I HAVE BEEN GIVEN ZILLOW,TRULIA AS WELL AS CYBERHOMES TO RUN VALUES ON HOMES WITHOUT A APPRASIEL.WHAT IS A GOOD VALUE RECOMMENDER?

User Stats

Votes
Dave P.
  • Real Estate Consultant
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
Replied Nov 20 2008, 18:50

What you are looking for does not exist. It takes human skill, knowledge, and diligence to get a real opinion of value.

User Stats

Votes
Reggie Nicolay
  • California
Votes |
  • California
Replied Nov 20 2008, 20:27

Hi Adarrin-
Great question...You are on the right track with Cyberhomes. After you put in your address you’ll notice Cyberhomes returns the property with price, physical characteristics, neighborhood and economic stats, and other useful real estate related information.

Now this is where you can take the estimate further by adding your knowledge of the property and local area. Click on the “Change Home Valueâ€to the right of the estimated price. You now have 4 steps to complete. Start by looking at the Basic Facts, are they correct? If anything needs to be adjusted, please do so now. Then click on “Home Improvements†tab. This tab is where you would include any home improvements to the property. Also make sure to set the timeframe, so Cyberhomes can perform a cost factor of money adjustment over time. Next move to the “Comparables†tab. Here you can select the comparable properties you think match your property best. Sort the list by sale data, lot size and living area. Once you’ve finished selecting comparables, move onto the “Market and Home Conditionsâ€. Answer these questions relative to the comparable homes you’ve selected.

Cyberhomes is now presenting both the original estimate and the refined estimate for your records.

Also I see you are an investor; I would review the market fundamentals we include into the neighborhood pages of your community as well. Best of luck to you!!

Reggie from Cyberhomes

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mark Davis
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 20 2008, 20:41

I'm with David here. The sites you mention can all be handy tools, but to find an accurate valuation of what a property is worth, you'll need to do some work or have someone do it for you. It is a learned skill to determine the value of a property and many people who do it for a living still do it wrong.

I would never go on what any of the websites say alone. You're just asking for problems. Get out there and learn to do a CMA or hire a trained appraiser to do it for you.

Before anyone comes in and argues with me, saying that these programs are accurate, I'd urge you to check the disclaimers on their websites. If they were so confident, they wouldn't be warning people that their sites are merely "starting points" and are "NOT appraisals"

From Zillow:

A Zestimate home valuation is Zillow's estimated market value. It is not an appraisal. Use it as a starting point to determine a home's value. Learn more.

Cyberhomes:

Any home Valuation provided via this Site is NOT an appraisal report of the market value of the subject property prepared by a licensed professional appraiser. The Valuation has been generated by use of proprietary computer software which assembles publicly available property records and certain proprietary data to arrive at an approximate estimate of home valuation. The Cyberhomes™ Valuation has not been prepared, evaluated or reviewed by a licensed professional appraiser. User is advised to engage the services of a licensed professional appraiser in order to receive an accurate and comprehensive evaluation of the market value of a home. Please contact your lender or REALTOR® to engage the services of a licensed professional appraiser.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied Nov 20 2008, 21:19

These sites are helpful for finding comps, information about homes, and exact locations. I don't trust any of their valuations. I've looked at too many houses in my farm areas and seen too much variation for me to believe their estimates.

Get out and get to know your area. Drive up and down every street. Look at every recent sale and every current listing, at least from the outside. Look at the inside of as many as possible. Call FSBO and for rent signs and discuss the property. Learn where the dividing lines between areas are. These aren't always obvious, and certainly aren't always the same as the neighborhood divisions or major streets.

If you can't just drive to the area, get on a plane and rent a car.

Note that I do believe in the "super crunching" sites like cyberhome and zillow do to try to get their estimates. I don't particular trust BPOs or appraisals much more than I trust these sites. In both cases, the problem is the input. Cyberhome and zillow don't have enough accurate info as input. For instance, in my area, numbers of beds and baths are often incorrect in public records. Basement square footage is inconsistent, and often leads to incorrect values for finished square footage. With appraisals and BPOs, only a few comps go into the calculation. By cherry picking the comps, you can make the appraisal or BPO go anyway you want.

User Stats

Votes
Dave P.
  • Real Estate Consultant
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
Replied Nov 20 2008, 21:34

I don't particular trust BPOs or appraisals much more than I trust these sites.

Amen. I wish I had said that.

User Stats

Votes
Oliver Trojahn
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Nov 22 2008, 22:44

Use Zillow, Eppraisal, and Cyberhomes than take the average. That is a basic start.

Then, get up and research the area.

User Stats

Votes
Steve L.
  • Investor
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Replied Nov 24 2008, 07:43

What about MLS access and checking real comps on recent sales and current listings?

I use a mix of Zillow, MLS, and a couple others. For San Bernardino county (California) if you take 90% of the lowest value range on Zillow it seems to be close.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Silver
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 24 2008, 23:47

Adarrin:

Valuation websites you cited are very helpful. Another site you may want to add to your repoitre is Realquest.

Based on my research, realquest is more accurate than zillow, trulia, etc.

Depending on where you live, some of the bigger title companies (Fidelity, Chicago Title) will provide you with a CMA report for a miniscule fee (.35 cents for comps per property. Otherwise, you may need to get CMA report from a appraiser or real estate agent.

Hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Tony Kim
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 12 2008, 13:53

Rather than paying for an appraisal, I would recommend a very experienced local broker since they have better, newer comp information, both sold and asking.