James Greenwood
  • Chilcoot, CA
Votes |
Newbie- 5 acre flip- offering owner financing- 1031 exchange

James Greenwood
  • Chilcoot, CA
Posted Feb 27 2019, 01:23

Hello!

Seeking any advice from the pros on owner finance and 1031 exchange. Thanks in advance!

I purchased an inexpensive 5 acre property out of state (1000 miles) for two reasons. 1 to gain experience and confidence in RE investing. And 2 to make a profit. I have never physically been to the property. 

I purchased it for $6,000, listed it for $19,000 with an option for owner finance. Today I received an offer for $13,000.  $10,000 down with three $1,000 payments at 6% interest over the next three months. My agent is suggesting a trust indenture over a deed of trust.

I'm happy with this offer as its the first in 6 months. Are there any red flags, warnings, tips etc that anyone has for me in doing the financing? 

My second question is... can I do a 1031 exchange with this property?

Is it worth it on such a small deal? 

If so, how do I set up a 1031? 

Do I need to hire someone to file it for me?

If I 1031 it but don't find a new deal in time, will I default back to paying capital gains taxes? Or I am I obligated to find a deal?

I have been actively looking and preparing to purchase a $50k-range single family rental in my local market. It would be great if I could pull off a 1031 early on in my experience so that I will be more familiar with it for bigger deals in the future. 

Thanks