As an agent, what is your favorite lead generation technique?

As an agent, what is your favorite lead generation technique?

Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes

Hi Fellow BP Fans,

Recently I took on coaching to take my agency business to the next tier.  What I've learned is so simple that it almost seems silly to share but it's paying huge dividends right now.  The golden nugget from this coaching has been the idea of a "power hour" or simply locking myself in my office for 60 uninterrupted minutes and just getting on the phone to say "hi" to everyone in my SOI.  

What else is there that you successful agents do that produces huge dividends?  What is your favorite lead generation technique?  What is one thing you've done or learned that's help push your real estate business into the next tier?

8Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

David MackinBusiness Member
Lender · Westminster, CO · Member since 2021 · 92 posts · 86 votes
3y

For me, the thing that changed my career was a focus shift towards the everyday systems vs. being goal oriented. Don't get me wrong, goals are great, but when I started to consistently do the right things every single day, things started happening. The good ol' compound effect.

I think that many people want to try so many different things but never go 100% because they're doing too much. Find a couple things that you enjoy and make work fun and go full head of steam. There are so many different ways to get business, you just have to have focus to unlock that potential.

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Greater Tampa Bay · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 130 votes
    3y

    That's a neat idea, but how frequently do you do that?  Weekly, daily?  Mine has been building strong relationships with property managers.

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I'm an MLO, not an agent, but we're hunting similar game. I'm huge on Facebook groups. Finding homes for sale/rent groups are like finding fish in a barrell. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I do agree your SOI or your database is huge on staying in touch. Doesn't have to be you calling but that is a good thing to do. We have many reach outs and client events to continue the relationship. Social media is a wonderful way to stay in touch and be friends. Outside of that cold calling or reaching out to owners for my investors is huge. I love using different referral companies and paid leads. Biggest thing is being consistent at whatever you do and have a system to keep the pipeline going

  • David MackinBusiness Member
    Lender · Westminster, CO · Member since 2021 · 92 posts · 86 votes
    3y

    For me, the thing that changed my career was a focus shift towards the everyday systems vs. being goal oriented. Don't get me wrong, goals are great, but when I started to consistently do the right things every single day, things started happening. The good ol' compound effect.

    I think that many people want to try so many different things but never go 100% because they're doing too much. Find a couple things that you enjoy and make work fun and go full head of steam. There are so many different ways to get business, you just have to have focus to unlock that potential.

  • Mwazomela ThurmondBusiness Member
    Realtor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2022 · 32 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    @Brad Jacobson

    I'd say #1 method depends on how you prefer to provide value to people the easiest way I know how. For me personally, I try to balance. My goal is to post often (passive lead generation) and also reach out directly to people (calling or direct mail) (active lead generation). Reaching out to other professionals can be easy but hard to get great referrals until you've contributed (earnable lead generation).

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Networking and cold calling. Having as many people as possible know who you are. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 116 votes
    3y

    Brad, I like the "Power Hour" idea you mentioned. Is this every day? For me over the last year or so what has really paid off the most is networking my butt off. Going to every single meetup and group remotely related to the industry, not just going once but consistently every month so that I have been able to build meaningful relationships. I make a ton of calls, and this year focusing on creating content as well. I have been liking the idea of mailers to targeted lists, but have no experience there and would love to hear what others are doing.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I meet with local investors and other agents at least twice per week, one on one. It almost always results in a deal or referral at some point. It may not be a high volume game, but the interractions and connections are high quality and very personal. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Brad Jacobson

    BiggerPockets and videos on social media, although the social media brand building is a work in progress and I can't claim I've generated many leads doing it so far.

  • Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dillon Cook:

    That's a neat idea, but how frequently do you do that?  Weekly, daily?  Mine has been building strong relationships with property managers.


     I do it every weekday, so 5x/week is the goal.  I'm usually able to do all five but it requires commitment for sure.

    Do PMs send leads often?  Are those like tired landlords who want to sell off their portfolio?

  • Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Blake Novotney:

    Brad, I like the "Power Hour" idea you mentioned. Is this every day? For me over the last year or so what has really paid off the most is networking my butt off. Going to every single meetup and group remotely related to the industry, not just going once but consistently every month so that I have been able to build meaningful relationships. I make a ton of calls, and this year focusing on creating content as well. I have been liking the idea of mailers to targeted lists, but have no experience there and would love to hear what others are doing.

    My first few years as an agent were really focused on posting on social media every day and going to at least two meetups per week.  I did a good job attending things like church, Rotary Clubs, REIAs, FI clubs, etc.  I found that was a good enough to do about a dozen deals per year but I kept hitting a ceiling around 12-15 transactions annually.  

    Is that the same for you?  Have you been able to break into a higher production tier?  If so, how?
  • Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 116 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brad Jacobson:
    Quote from @Blake Novotney:

    Brad, I like the "Power Hour" idea you mentioned. Is this every day? For me over the last year or so what has really paid off the most is networking my butt off. Going to every single meetup and group remotely related to the industry, not just going once but consistently every month so that I have been able to build meaningful relationships. I make a ton of calls, and this year focusing on creating content as well. I have been liking the idea of mailers to targeted lists, but have no experience there and would love to hear what others are doing.

    My first few years as an agent were really focused on posting on social media every day and going to at least two meetups per week.  I did a good job attending things like church, Rotary Clubs, REIAs, FI clubs, etc.  I found that was a good enough to do about a dozen deals per year but I kept hitting a ceiling around 12-15 transactions annually.  

    Is that the same for you?  Have you been able to break into a higher production tier?  If so, how?

     Well, I'm still relatively new to the game. I've been lurking in RE since 2018, but last year (2022) was my first year as an agent. I did 25 transactions for $7.2M and learned a ton. I would imagine less than half of that was from meetups and such, BUT now I am getting to the point where one of those clients I met there has closed two properties with me and sent me two referrals. Another just bought their second with me also. I'm still probably considered brand new, so I can't say for sure but I am counting on these relationships to continue to compound over the years and continue to grow!

  • Realtor · Greater Tampa Bay · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 130 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brad Jacobson:
    Quote from @Dillon Cook:

    That's a neat idea, but how frequently do you do that?  Weekly, daily?  Mine has been building strong relationships with property managers.


     I do it every weekday, so 5x/week is the goal.  I'm usually able to do all five but it requires commitment for sure.

    Do PMs send leads often?  Are those like tired landlords who want to sell off their portfolio?


     I'm personally on a brokerage that's a part of a property management company.  We get leads all the time from owners who are ready to sell.  Sometimes they're ready to buy more.  

    For others, finding a small property management company without the skill or time to sell could be invaluable.  You can pay them a referral for leads sent or closed which would motivate them to capture more leads instead of letting their owners find a random agent in the area and they lose an owner on the PM side AND get nothing. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    Your network is directly tied to your net worth

  • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 47 votes
    3y
    Quote from @David Mackin:

    For me, the thing that changed my career was a focus shift towards the everyday systems vs. being goal oriented. Don't get me wrong, goals are great, but when I started to consistently do the right things every single day, things started happening. The good ol' compound effect.

    I think that many people want to try so many different things but never go 100% because they're doing too much. Find a couple things that you enjoy and make work fun and go full head of steam. There are so many different ways to get business, you just have to have focus to unlock that potential.


     I think there's alot of truth to this. Its not that one is better than the other i think there is just different techniques that are better for certain agents. If you find a lane you like and believe you can be good at, stick to to it and be consistent daily.

  • Real Estate Agent · Realtor - Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 55 votes
    3y

    Expireds and FSBO's are always good! Every time I get consistent with calling, it pays off.

  • Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 116 votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Mudd:

    Expireds and FSBO's are always good! Every time I get consistent with calling, it pays off.


     Agreed! I think most will dabble here and there whenever it's convenient to make the calls. I've always seen results when I call daily.

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brad Jacobson:

    Hi Fellow BP Fans,

    Recently I took on coaching to take my agency business to the next tier.  What I've learned is so simple that it almost seems silly to share but it's paying huge dividends right now.  The golden nugget from this coaching has been the idea of a "power hour" or simply locking myself in my office for 60 uninterrupted minutes and just getting on the phone to say "hi" to everyone in my SOI.  

    What else is there that you successful agents do that produces huge dividends?  What is your favorite lead generation technique?  What is one thing you've done or learned that's help push your real estate business into the next tier?


     Hey Brad,

    We have something similar called the Top 50 system. I'm sure it's the same approach but just curious how often do you touch your SOI and do you have specific individuals in your SOI that prefer or you know that are more comfortable texting as a touch?

    I always prefer calling my top 50 however I know a few that are more responsive to conversate through text.

    Do you keep it strictly calls or you do a combination of different communication with your power hour?

    Thanks!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

    Instagram

  • Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Boonphitak:
    Quote from @Brad Jacobson:

    Hi Fellow BP Fans,

    Recently I took on coaching to take my agency business to the next tier.  What I've learned is so simple that it almost seems silly to share but it's paying huge dividends right now.  The golden nugget from this coaching has been the idea of a "power hour" or simply locking myself in my office for 60 uninterrupted minutes and just getting on the phone to say "hi" to everyone in my SOI.  

    What else is there that you successful agents do that produces huge dividends?  What is your favorite lead generation technique?  What is one thing you've done or learned that's help push your real estate business into the next tier?


     Hey Brad,

    We have something similar called the Top 50 system. I'm sure it's the same approach but just curious how often do you touch your SOI and do you have specific individuals in your SOI that prefer or you know that are more comfortable texting as a touch?

    I always prefer calling my top 50 however I know a few that are more responsive to conversate through text.

    Do you keep it strictly calls or you do a combination of different communication with your power hour?

    Thanks!

    I don't have a "top 50" but I have thought it would be good to rank my SOI.  However, I think I can get through all 300ish contacts every three months if I'm sticking to the power hour.

    All my contacts start with a call except in the rare occasion I don't have a number - then I'll text through Messenger.  However, if someone doesn't answer, instead of leaving a VM, I'll usually text them.  I've found that has a higher response rate as well.
  • Real Estate Broker · Fairhope, AL · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Brad Jacobson Conversations create conversions is my way of creating a big business. Sometimes it’s locking myself in a room, sometimes it’s just going through old message and genuinely reaching out to people, sometimes it’s social media. Either way, I strive to have conversations with anyone and everyone. When things are slow I’ll just start cold calling neighborhoods that Im familiar with or sold units in.

  • Investor · Edmonton, AB · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    Fantastic question. Here's what I did, it took a bit of work to set up but every day I get seller only leads contacting me, it's completely automated, and happened totally by accident. Also I've never had to bother family members, cold call anyone, or do any other strategies that are not scalable.

    Two years ago I got my realtor's license so I could get comparable sales data and close my own flip deals. Then I created a carrot website using a lot of Jerryll Noorden's techniques to rank high on search/SEO rankings for motivated sellers ie 'we buy houses' kind of terms.

    Then something funny happened. Even with pictures of a nasty old house on my website, even with all of the keywords targeted directly towards motivated sellers, 80% or more of the calls I got were from sellers best suited for listing on the market with a realtor. 

    I'd chat with them, explain what they could expect for an off market offer vs on market listing price and the PROS and CONS of each, and in a lot of cases once I established rapport they'd say something along the lines of 'I think listing would be the best option after all - do you know a realtor?' And I'd be like well, ya. 

    From here I'm now in a position where I spend no time marketing, if I want more leads than I generate organically via website SEO I drive more traffic to the site via paid google or facebook ads and I can pretty much be as busy as I want to be.

    Also no matter who calls me, I can help them. Retail seller and I'm already too busy? Refer for a referral fee. Motivated seller with a teardown? Wholesale to a builder / infill developer. Motivated seller with a home that'd make a good flip? I'll buy it and flip it. 

    Because I understand both the on market and off market options I can provide more information and more comprehensive service than most realtors or direct buyers that specialize in their own niche. In addition I can be completely objective when discussing options with them because I genuinely don't care which route they go (direct sale, listing, creative strategy etc) because regardless I can help.

    Anyways Trevor Mauch is the only one I've ever heard put a name to it and he calls it the hybrid realtor / investor strategy and it's been incredibly effective for me once I really learned how to implement it properly.

  • Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 116 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Adrian Dobson:

    Fantastic question. Here's what I did, it took a bit of work to set up but every day I get seller only leads contacting me, it's completely automated, and happened totally by accident. Also I've never had to bother family members, cold call anyone, or do any other strategies that are not scalable.

    Two years ago I got my realtor's license so I could get comparable sales data and close my own flip deals. Then I created a carrot website using a lot of Jerryll Noorden's techniques to rank high on search/SEO rankings for motivated sellers ie 'we buy houses' kind of terms.

    Then something funny happened. Even with pictures of a nasty old house on my website, even with all of the keywords targeted directly towards motivated sellers, 80% or more of the calls I got were from sellers best suited for listing on the market with a realtor. 

    I'd chat with them, explain what they could expect for an off market offer vs on market listing price and the PROS and CONS of each, and in a lot of cases once I established rapport they'd say something along the lines of 'I think listing would be the best option after all - do you know a realtor?' And I'd be like well, ya. 

    From here I'm now in a position where I spend no time marketing, if I want more leads than I generate organically via website SEO I drive more traffic to the site via paid google or facebook ads and I can pretty much be as busy as I want to be.

    Also no matter who calls me, I can help them. Retail seller and I'm already too busy? Refer for a referral fee. Motivated seller with a teardown? Wholesale to a builder / infill developer. Motivated seller with a home that'd make a good flip? I'll buy it and flip it. 

    Because I understand both the on market and off market options I can provide more information and more comprehensive service than most realtors or direct buyers that specialize in their own niche. In addition I can be completely objective when discussing options with them because I genuinely don't care which route they go (direct sale, listing, creative strategy etc) because regardless I can help.

    Anyways Trevor Mauch is the only one I've ever heard put a name to it and he calls it the hybrid realtor / investor strategy and it's been incredibly effective for me once I really learned how to implement it properly.


     John, this is awesome! That is similar to what I am doing as well, but you really have your systems in place. I do have the ability to close on something myself or send it to my close circle which is exactly how I just got a flip last month, or if the situation is right I'll wholesale it to one of the investors I know. Like you said, being an agent also allows us to be able to list for retail if they're willing to. I don't know why more people don't take advantage of this agent/investor strategy! Great tips on the SEO and website. Mine is definitely pretty half-as* to be honest, I really need to hire it out.

  • Member since 2021 · 41 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    I really like the idea of being able to help the seller no matter what they need by being a hybrid agent/investor. It really takes the pressure off trying to make their situation fit in a specific box.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Account Closed

    With the breakneck pace at which technology is progressing in the field of real estate (as in many others), it’s no surprise that agents and brokers may feel overwhelmed with deciding what to incorporate into their marketing strategy.

    Lead generation in particular can pose a challenge in the competitive real estate environment. For this reason, it’s important to take a step back from time to time to remember the bigger picture—the core tactics which hold your game plan together.

    Here are the 10 best lead gen strategies for a rapidly evolving real estate industry to give you the tools to keep the buyers coming in:

    Leveraging Positive Customer Feedback
    Using Real Estate Social Media to Increase Traffic and Awareness
    Segmenting Your Leads to Gain Insight Into Your Database
    Developing an Effective Video Marketing Strategy
    Community Service to Establish Local Presence
    Create Content to Constantly Engage your Subscribed Leads
    Personalizing Excellent Customer Service
    High Quality Content and Local SEO to Increase Search Result Visibility
    Making your Website Visually Stunning
    Continue Printing on Paper!

    All the best!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.