does having a contract with a listing agent prevent you from buying properties ...

does having a contract with a listing agent prevent you from buying properties ...

Member since 2024 · 34 posts · 12 votes

does having a contract with a listing agent prevent you from buying properties ... directly from owners?

What is my legal obligation to close a property that's not listed by an agent?

I did sign a contract with our listing agent that if I close on a property , I am to pay him 0.5 percent. 

How much percentage am I legally required to pay him even though I found the property myself?

thanks

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Abel CurielBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

@Mei Zhu It depends on the language in the agreement.

My agreements state that I am owed a commission even if a client finds a property directly from a seller/property owner. Occasionally, I speak with investors who prefer additional language stating what would happen in a scenario where they find their own property.

Does your buyer agreement specify what happens if you find a seller directly?
If not, your agent will likely be owed commission for any property that you purchase within the timeframe listed on your agreement.

Lastly, how are you planning to find your own deals? Are you investing in some form of digital marketing, direct mail, or other outbound lead generation? 

If you're spending time and money on lead gen/marketing, I can see why you'd want to save on commission. 

REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mei Zhu:

    If you signed a contract, you are obligated to honor it even if you found the house on your own.

    Real estate agents do a lot more than find houses. If you don't know their value, then I would argue you don't have a good agent.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    You aren't making sense. If you have a contract with a listing agent, they are selling your house and you have no obligation to them if you go and buy a house unless you signed buyer agency agreement with them.

    Side note, anyone working for .5 percent isn't worth working with and you sound like the worst client for an agent in the world. If you buy direct from the seller and you have never done it, who is going to help you with home inspections and title and survey and negotiations?

  • Member since 2024 · 34 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    I want to clarify my posting. I am from the buyers side. the contract saids 2.5 percent.2 percent generally comes from the seller and the buyer generally pay the 0.5 percent. 

    I want to know does having a contract with a buy's  agent prevent you from buying properties ... directly from owners? am I required to pay a commision to my agent. 

    thanks in advance.

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Mei Zhu It depends on the language in the agreement.

    My agreements state that I am owed a commission even if a client finds a property directly from a seller/property owner. Occasionally, I speak with investors who prefer additional language stating what would happen in a scenario where they find their own property.

    Does your buyer agreement specify what happens if you find a seller directly?
    If not, your agent will likely be owed commission for any property that you purchase within the timeframe listed on your agreement.

    Lastly, how are you planning to find your own deals? Are you investing in some form of digital marketing, direct mail, or other outbound lead generation? 

    If you're spending time and money on lead gen/marketing, I can see why you'd want to save on commission. 

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    If you signed a contract saying you'd pay him 0.5%, then pay him 0.5%. If this is a house listed through MLS, it used to be that the amount was paid for by the seller...but rules in the US have been changing lately. Follow what the contract says.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.