Recently got real estate license

Recently got real estate license

Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes

Hi, I recently passed my state exam. The reason I got my license is not to be a sales associate in the traditional sense, I am looking to invest and essentially pay back myself in investment deals that I make. What's a good way to go about looking for brokerages that would provide good training for investment minded real estate agents, with good commission splits? Or if you started out like me what are some lessons learned? I'd like to be more part of a team of investors who I can learn from more than anything; I just want to get in the game. All the brokerages Ive talked to so far are more focused on getting leads through a CRM and trying to close on leads for a client, but that's not quite why Im in the business. 

Side note: I also have a full time job, but I work from home so Im flexible in still being able to meet virtually on a periodic basis with the broker. 

5Reply
345 views

Most Popular Reply

Doug SmithPro Member
Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7mo

In in Florida as well (but in Tampa) and I'll share my story. I've always been a banker/lender and own a mortgage company, but during the last crash, I started this company to do commercial bridge lending and non-performing loan purchases. We also started doing small flips. My wife has a degree in design and she was handling the rehabs for us. With our first two flips, we engaged agents to sell them, but they were pretty worthless. They slapped the properties on the MLS and, well, that was it...and they made more than I did on the deals. I looked at my wife and said "honey, why don't you get your license"...and she did. She was fantastic as with her background she new building code inside and out, the construction and real estate process, all about mechancials, etc. Now, here's the part where I get to my point with you. She had a childhood friend that was a real estate broker...a guy that really knew his stuff. She joined him and he really mentored her on the fine points...all about the contracts, the tricks of the trade, etc. She studied and worked hard at it constantly honing her craft. She not only handles all our stuff, but she's working with several serious investors and builders. I got my license as well to help. For you, I think the choice of a mentor is more important than the choice of "ReMax, Century 21, etc". With our mortgage company, we are constantly working with agents that had no real estate background and passed a test...that's it. If you're going to do it, you need to find a mentor that can really teach and is generous with their knowledge and you need to take responsibility and hone your craft constantly. That is my story and advice for you. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Orlando · Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    7mo

    Congrats on the license, Adam. I’m a new wholesaler in Central FL working with investors — happy to connect and compare notes.

    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Javauhn Nelson:

      Congrats on the license, Adam. I’m a new wholesaler in Central FL working with investors — happy to connect and compare notes.


       Thank you, Javauhn. Let's connect. 

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Congratulations on the license. I understand your goals but think it is going to be a hard sell for a good brokerage. The plusses of being an agent for someone not already an accomplished investor include working with and learning from colleagues, building your client load which will bring referrals and being privy to deals before they hit the general population. 

    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      Congratulations on the license. I understand your goals but think it is going to be a hard sell for a good brokerage. The plusses of being an agent for someone not already an accomplished investor include working with and learning from colleagues, building your client load which will bring referrals and being privy to deals before they hit the general population. 

      Makes sense - I can see how starting as a general agent can open up new worlds and learning opportunities even if it's not my long term goal. 
  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Smart move getting licensed for your own deals - those savings add up quick. Look for brokerages where you can co-list with actual investors, not just regular agents. What type of investing you thinking - flips or rentals?

    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Bo Smith:

      Smart move getting licensed for your own deals - those savings add up quick. Look for brokerages where you can co-list with actual investors, not just regular agents. What type of investing you thinking - flips or rentals?


       Thanks Bo that's definitely what I'm looking for - how to find those types of brokerages is proving to be a bit challenging. I wouldnt be closed off to the idea of doing flips, but I know for sure I want to get into rentals. 

    • Bo SmithPro Member
      Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Adam Euster:
    • Bo SmithPro Member
      Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Adam Euster:
      Quote from @Bo Smith:

      Smart move getting licensed for your own deals - those savings add up quick. Look for brokerages where you can co-list with actual investors, not just regular agents. What type of investing you thinking - flips or rentals?


       Thanks Bo that's definitely what I'm looking for - how to find those types of brokerages is proving to be a bit challenging. I wouldnt be closed off to the idea of doing flips, but I know for sure I want to get into rentals. 

       Yeah that focus makes a huge difference in picking the right team. Want me to DM you some questions to ask brokerages that'll reveal if they actually get the investor side?

    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Bo Smith:
      Quote from @Adam Euster:
      Quote from @Bo Smith:

      Smart move getting licensed for your own deals - those savings add up quick. Look for brokerages where you can co-list with actual investors, not just regular agents. What type of investing you thinking - flips or rentals?


       Thanks Bo that's definitely what I'm looking for - how to find those types of brokerages is proving to be a bit challenging. I wouldnt be closed off to the idea of doing flips, but I know for sure I want to get into rentals. 

       Yeah that focus makes a huge difference in picking the right team. Want me to DM you some questions to ask brokerages that'll reveal if they actually get the investor side?


       Absolutely that would help a lot. 

  • Investor · Argyle, TX · Member since 2014 · 112 posts · 73 votes
    7mo

    Congrats on passing the exam! There are plenty of smaller brokerages out there that are less focused on being a lead-generating machine and more focused on farming a small niche while doing some of their own investing. 

    I would suggest attending local REIA meetups and real estate networking opportunities. You can find them listed on sites like Eventbrite, Meetup, here, and FB. There will be agents, investors, contractors, lenders, etc there and plenty of info and suggestions on brokerages. Interview those brokerages. Talk to agents as well as the broker. Ask investors who they use to find properties and who they use to sell their properties.

    Also, check with some property management companies. Many have agents under their brokerage who focus solely on investing and management of their own properties and portfolios. 

    Join FB groups in your area that are centered around real estate and investing, then ask in those groups. Read and watch the discussions in the groups to see who adds value and look up those names. 

    Happy hunting!

    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Gabe Waldrep:

      Congrats on passing the exam! There are plenty of smaller brokerages out there that are less focused on being a lead-generating machine and more focused on farming a small niche while doing some of their own investing. 

      I would suggest attending local REIA meetups and real estate networking opportunities. You can find them listed on sites like Eventbrite, Meetup, here, and FB. There will be agents, investors, contractors, lenders, etc there and plenty of info and suggestions on brokerages. Interview those brokerages. Talk to agents as well as the broker. Ask investors who they use to find properties and who they use to sell their properties.

      Also, check with some property management companies. Many have agents under their brokerage who focus solely on investing and management of their own properties and portfolios. 

      Join FB groups in your area that are centered around real estate and investing, then ask in those groups. Read and watch the discussions in the groups to see who adds value and look up those names. 

      Happy hunting!


       This is all fantastic advice, thank you for taking the time to guide me in the right direction. 

  • Doug SmithPro Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7mo

    In in Florida as well (but in Tampa) and I'll share my story. I've always been a banker/lender and own a mortgage company, but during the last crash, I started this company to do commercial bridge lending and non-performing loan purchases. We also started doing small flips. My wife has a degree in design and she was handling the rehabs for us. With our first two flips, we engaged agents to sell them, but they were pretty worthless. They slapped the properties on the MLS and, well, that was it...and they made more than I did on the deals. I looked at my wife and said "honey, why don't you get your license"...and she did. She was fantastic as with her background she new building code inside and out, the construction and real estate process, all about mechancials, etc. Now, here's the part where I get to my point with you. She had a childhood friend that was a real estate broker...a guy that really knew his stuff. She joined him and he really mentored her on the fine points...all about the contracts, the tricks of the trade, etc. She studied and worked hard at it constantly honing her craft. She not only handles all our stuff, but she's working with several serious investors and builders. I got my license as well to help. For you, I think the choice of a mentor is more important than the choice of "ReMax, Century 21, etc". With our mortgage company, we are constantly working with agents that had no real estate background and passed a test...that's it. If you're going to do it, you need to find a mentor that can really teach and is generous with their knowledge and you need to take responsibility and hone your craft constantly. That is my story and advice for you. Good luck!

    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Doug Smith:

      In in Florida as well (but in Tampa) and I'll share my story. I've always been a banker/lender and own a mortgage company, but during the last crash, I started this company to do commercial bridge lending and non-performing loan purchases. We also started doing small flips. My wife has a degree in design and she was handling the rehabs for us. With our first two flips, we engaged agents to sell them, but they were pretty worthless. They slapped the properties on the MLS and, well, that was it...and they made more than I did on the deals. I looked at my wife and said "honey, why don't you get your license"...and she did. She was fantastic as with her background she new building code inside and out, the construction and real estate process, all about mechancials, etc. Now, here's the part where I get to my point with you. She had a childhood friend that was a real estate broker...a guy that really knew his stuff. She joined him and he really mentored her on the fine points...all about the contracts, the tricks of the trade, etc. She studied and worked hard at it constantly honing her craft. She not only handles all our stuff, but she's working with several serious investors and builders. I got my license as well to help. For you, I think the choice of a mentor is more important than the choice of "ReMax, Century 21, etc". With our mortgage company, we are constantly working with agents that had no real estate background and passed a test...that's it. If you're going to do it, you need to find a mentor that can really teach and is generous with their knowledge and you need to take responsibility and hone your craft constantly. That is my story and advice for you. Good luck!


       I really appreciate this, Doug. This last week Ive been really focusing on the training aspect of their pitch and not the splits. I came to the realization if they are offering 100% splits they have no incentive to actually mentor me. Learning a lot already just from going through this process. 

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 685 votes
    7mo

    Hey Adam, congrats on passing the exam that’s a big step. I got licensed 20 years ago for a very similar reason, not to chase retail buyers but to understand deals better, control my own transactions, and be closer to the money. One thing I learned fast is that most brokerages are built around lead conversion, not investing, so you’re not wrong for feeling that disconnect. What helped me was finding environments where people actually owned property, talked numbers, mistakes, and real rentals or flips, not just CRMs and scripts. Even if the split isn’t the flashiest, training that’s investment focused and access to people actively doing deals is worth way more early on. Since you already work from home, that flexibility is huge because investing is more about timing and conversations than office hours. You’re thinking about this the right way already just stay close to operators, not just agents, and you’ll get in the game faster than you think.

    Graystone Investment Group4.6277 Reviews
    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jorge Vazquez:

      Hey Adam, congrats on passing the exam that’s a big step. I got licensed 20 years ago for a very similar reason, not to chase retail buyers but to understand deals better, control my own transactions, and be closer to the money. One thing I learned fast is that most brokerages are built around lead conversion, not investing, so you’re not wrong for feeling that disconnect. What helped me was finding environments where people actually owned property, talked numbers, mistakes, and real rentals or flips, not just CRMs and scripts. Even if the split isn’t the flashiest, training that’s investment focused and access to people actively doing deals is worth way more early on. Since you already work from home, that flexibility is huge because investing is more about timing and conversations than office hours. You’re thinking about this the right way already just stay close to operators, not just agents, and you’ll get in the game faster than you think.


       Thank you for the advice, Jorge. Glad to hear a success story in how you got started and where you are now. Im learning in these interviews not to focus so much on the splits and more on the mentorship for like-minded people. Appreciate it! 

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2025 · 204 posts · 101 votes
    7mo

    Congratulations on getting your real estate license. That is a solid step, and more people should take their education and credentials seriously in this business. I have been in real estate and mortgage for over 25 years as a mortgage loan officer and investor, and I can tell you a license can open doors if you use it intentionally.

    A license by itself does not create deals, but it does create access and opportunity when paired with effort and strategy. The agents who do well long term focus on a few core things.

    Relationships matter more than transactions. The agents who build strong networks with investors, lenders, title companies, and contractors tend to stay busy. This is a relationship business first.

    Know your niche and lean into it. Agents who try to do everything often get average results. Agents who focus on a lane like investors, first time buyers, or a specific area tend to become the go to person in that space.

    Understand the numbers. Learn how to run comps, analyze deals, and understand financing options. When you can speak confidently about both the property and the financing side, clients trust you more and investors take you seriously.

    Take action consistently. The license is the starting point. The real growth comes from applying what you learn. Analyze deals daily, preview properties, talk to investors, and stay in front of people. Momentum builds from activity.

    Also remember this business is not linear. Some months are slower, some are busy. The people who last treat it like a business, track their pipeline, and stay consistent even when things are quiet.

    On the marketing side, simple and consistent beats complicated and occasional. A few things I often suggest to newer agents:

    • Post consistently about your local market, not just listings
    • Share educational content for buyers and sellers
    • Stay visible on social media and in your community
    • Build a database and actually follow up with it
    • Partner with a good lender and co-market when possible

    You do not need to be everywhere, but you do need to be consistent somewhere.

    If you really want to build a career, use your license to understand the full transaction, not just the sales side. That knowledge compounds over time.

    A couple questions to ask yourself:

    What niche do you want to be known for?

    What are you doing weekly to build your pipeline?

    How are you staying in front of your audience consistently?

    Who are you learning from locally that is already successful?

    If you are serious about growing in this industry, start by connecting with lenders, investors, and experienced agents in your market and learn how deals actually come together. Are you actively building those relationships now? Are you studying deals in your market every week? The more conversations you have and the more deals you study, the faster your confidence and skill set will grow.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    Welcome to the club!

    Gotta be honest- I see a LOT of new investors who get their license thinking they'll save a bunch on commissions. What ends up happening is that they just can't get a deal done because they don't have experience as an agent. It's not as simple as getting your license and then you have access to the MLS. There's a very good reason that the attrition rate over two years is around 90% and that 95% of the deals are done by 5% of the agents. Sure, it's easy to get a license, but it's incredibly difficult to be excellent at the job.

    My honest advice- combine those two strategies. Find a brokerage with great support and go do a ton of deals for other people. learn on the job and be ready to grind. Take the money you make and the experience you earn and use it to go out and do deals for yourself at the same time. 

    Best of luck!

    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Corby Goade:

      Welcome to the club!

      Gotta be honest- I see a LOT of new investors who get their license thinking they'll save a bunch on commissions. What ends up happening is that they just can't get a deal done because they don't have experience as an agent. It's not as simple as getting your license and then you have access to the MLS. There's a very good reason that the attrition rate over two years is around 90% and that 95% of the deals are done by 5% of the agents. Sure, it's easy to get a license, but it's incredibly difficult to be excellent at the job.

      My honest advice- combine those two strategies. Find a brokerage with great support and go do a ton of deals for other people. learn on the job and be ready to grind. Take the money you make and the experience you earn and use it to go out and do deals for yourself at the same time. 

      Best of luck!

      Thank you, Corby. I'll take that advice to heart. I understand I'll need to work some deals and learn from the experts before I take the leap myself. I appreciate your honest take on this. 
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    7mo

    Adams, congrats on passing your exam. For someone focused on investing vs. traditional sales, look for brokerages with experienced investor teams, mentorship programs and agents active in acquisitions. Reach out to investor-centric groups, check local REIAs and interview brokers about how they support agents who want to wholesale, buy rentals or analyze deals and not just close transactions. Starting part-time is fine but partnering with investors and getting real deal experience early will accelerate your learning more than any CRM-based sales training. 

    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      Adams, congrats on passing your exam. For someone focused on investing vs. traditional sales, look for brokerages with experienced investor teams, mentorship programs and agents active in acquisitions. Reach out to investor-centric groups, check local REIAs and interview brokers about how they support agents who want to wholesale, buy rentals or analyze deals and not just close transactions. Starting part-time is fine but partnering with investors and getting real deal experience early will accelerate your learning more than any CRM-based sales training. 

      Thank you for the advice, Janice. I'll take this advice to heart and focus on learning and partnering with experienced mentors. 
  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7mo

    I got my license for my own deals (after being an investor for around a decade or so prior, I had around 30 rental units when I got my license), but it ended up turning into a full time gig. Most brokerages are definitely geared toward vanilla retail transactions which makes sense because that is the lions share of the market. Working with investors is more of a small niche business and one that many agents choose to avoid because investors can be challenging to work with and it is also typically less profitable. I still work with investors occasionally now (through referral or  previous clients, not just random “investors” which are often just time wasters) but have moved mostly into luxury home sales which I prefer (and it is way more profitable). I wouldn’t hold my license for my own deals, it’s not really worth it IMO. Just some food for thought. It is nice to have rentals as an agent because the income is steady whereas being an agent is very inconsistent, and there’s no 401k retirement plan etc. If I were you I’d stay open minded about learning the trade in order to make the most money possible. There are some brokerages that are geared towards investors and have low commission splits but you will definitely make more money if you go all-in on being an agent and join a brokerage where the top producers in your area are at so you can learn from them.  

    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Steve K.:

      I got my license for my own deals (after being an investor for around a decade or so prior, I had around 30 rental units when I got my license), but it ended up turning into a full time gig. Most brokerages are definitely geared toward vanilla retail transactions which makes sense because that is the lions share of the market. Working with investors is more of a small niche business and one that many agents choose to avoid because investors can be challenging to work with and it is also typically less profitable. I still work with investors occasionally now (through referral or  previous clients, not just random “investors” which are often just time wasters) but have moved mostly into luxury home sales which I prefer (and it is way more profitable). I wouldn’t hold my license for my own deals, it’s not really worth it IMO. Just some food for thought. It is nice to have rentals as an agent because the income is steady whereas being an agent is very inconsistent, and there’s no 401k retirement plan etc. If I were you I’d stay open minded about learning the trade in order to make the most money possible. There are some brokerages that are geared towards investors and have low commission splits but you will definitely make more money if you go all-in on being an agent and join a brokerage where the top producers in your area are at so you can learn from them.  

      Thank you for that perspective, Steve. Although it's not my main reason for getting in now, I'll try to stay open minded to the idea of finding a niche in other areas as well and not just for my own deals. It'll be an interesting path ahead... 
  • Brett SynickyPro Member
    Solo 401k and SDIRA Consultant · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 873 posts · 498 votes
    7mo


    @Steve K. If agents want a retirement plan a Solo 401k is the way to go! It's the ULTIMATE retirement plan for the self employed solopreneur.

    • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Brett Synicky:


      @Steve K. If agents want a retirement plan a Solo 401k is the way to go! It's the ULTIMATE retirement plan for the self employed solopreneur.


       My rentals and portfolio of dividend stocks are my retirement plan. 

  • Josh ReighardBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Des Moines IA/Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 19 votes
    7mo

    Congrats on passing your exam — that’s a big first step.

    I came into real estate the same way you’re describing. I didn’t start because I wanted to “sell houses.” I started as an investor first — bought my own condo, then small multi-units, did Airbnb for a stretch, and built a rental portfolio. I got licensed because I wanted control of my own deals, better data access, and to capture the commission on acquisitions and dispositions.

    A few things I learned along the way:

    1. Most brokerages are sales-focused — and that’s not a bad thing.
    They’re built around lead gen, CRM, retail buyers/sellers. If you want true investment mentorship, you need to look for broker-owners or teams that actively own property themselves — not just agents who sell to investors.

    2. The license is leverage, not the strategy.
    Your real advantage will come from learning how to underwrite deals better than everyone else. If you can analyze cap rates, cash-on-cash returns, renovation ROI, and tax impact, you'll create your own edge. The MLS access and commission are bonuses.

    3. Early on, proximity > commission split.
    A slightly lower split with real mentorship from people who actually invest is worth far more than a 95/5 split with no guidance. I learned more from being around active investors than I ever did from generic brokerage training.

    4. Don’t completely ignore retail transactions.
    Even if investing is your goal, helping a few buyers/sellers builds cash flow and relationships — and many of my best investment opportunities came from people in my sphere.

    Since you’re working full time (I did as well when I started), I’d recommend:

    • Find a brokerage with low pressure on production.
    • Join or align with a small investor-minded team.
    • Spend your extra time underwriting deals and networking with actual operators.

    If you want to share what market you’re in, I’m happy to give more specific guidance. Getting in the game the right way makes a huge difference.

    Josh Reighard Group
    • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Josh Reighard:

      Congrats on passing your exam — that’s a big first step.

      I came into real estate the same way you’re describing. I didn’t start because I wanted to “sell houses.” I started as an investor first — bought my own condo, then small multi-units, did Airbnb for a stretch, and built a rental portfolio. I got licensed because I wanted control of my own deals, better data access, and to capture the commission on acquisitions and dispositions.

      A few things I learned along the way:

      1. Most brokerages are sales-focused — and that’s not a bad thing.
      They’re built around lead gen, CRM, retail buyers/sellers. If you want true investment mentorship, you need to look for broker-owners or teams that actively own property themselves — not just agents who sell to investors.

      2. The license is leverage, not the strategy.
      Your real advantage will come from learning how to underwrite deals better than everyone else. If you can analyze cap rates, cash-on-cash returns, renovation ROI, and tax impact, you'll create your own edge. The MLS access and commission are bonuses.

      3. Early on, proximity > commission split.
      A slightly lower split with real mentorship from people who actually invest is worth far more than a 95/5 split with no guidance. I learned more from being around active investors than I ever did from generic brokerage training.

      4. Don’t completely ignore retail transactions.
      Even if investing is your goal, helping a few buyers/sellers builds cash flow and relationships — and many of my best investment opportunities came from people in my sphere.

      Since you’re working full time (I did as well when I started), I’d recommend:

      • Find a brokerage with low pressure on production.
      • Join or align with a small investor-minded team.
      • Spend your extra time underwriting deals and networking with actual operators.

      If you want to share what market you’re in, I’m happy to give more specific guidance. Getting in the game the right way makes a huge difference.

      Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience, Josh! I appreciate the advice. I am in South Florida. I'd love to hear more about how you gained your expertise estimating numbers like cap rates, cash-on-cash returns, ROI, and tax impact accurately. Did you do a lot of hypotheticals on potential investments and learn that way or did that come mainly from hands on experience and actually getting some deals done with other experienced investors for you? 



  • Real Estate Broker · Miami · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    7mo

    Hi Adam, reach out to me, I am a real estate broker and a manager of $8M investment portfolio 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.