Questions for leasing or tenants’ agents in Los Angeles
New to Real Estate · Member since 2024 · 31 posts · 14 votes
Hi all,
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
I’m wrapping up my RE education and hope to acquire licensure within the next 30-60 days. Figuring out what niche to get into has been difficult, as much of what I see on typical forums (like Reddit) is rife with doomerism and bitterness.
One of my goals right now is to learn about the various niches and sub-niches to determine where I want to begin my journey as an agent. While rental agency is not at the top of my list, I believe it would be in my best interest to dig into it and learn what I can to make that determination fairly.
It seems to me that the LA market is a strange one for landlords’ and tenants’ agents, so I’m here to ask some basic questions about the landscape.
What does a typical day look like for you?
∙ How long does it usually take to place a tenant from first showing to lease signing?
∙ What’s the biggest misconception people have about what you do?
∙ Which neighborhoods are you seeing the most demand in right now, and why?
∙ How has the rental market shifted in the past year or two?
∙ How competitive is it for commissions? I’ve seen acquaintances work with tenants’ agents only to go around them and sign a lease without their support (ie: finding a property on their own and moving forward with that).
∙ What do landlords most commonly get wrong when listing a unit?
∙ What’s the most common reason a deal falls through?
∙ How do you find your clients — do you mostly work with repeat landlords, or are you always finding new ones?
∙ What separates a great agent in this market from an average one?