5 Things I’d Fix on a Real Estate Website Before Spending Another Dollar on Traffic

5 Things I’d Fix on a Real Estate Website Before Spending Another Dollar on Traffic

Member since 2026 · 31 posts · 7 votes

A real estate website doesn't have to look bad to lose leads.

Sometimes the problem is actually the opposite.

It looks clean.

The photos are good.

The properties are there.

Everything seems professional.

But the website still makes it harder than necessary for a potential buyer or seller to take the next step.

Here are 5 things I’d look at first:

1. THE HERO SECTION DOESN’T TELL ME WHAT TO DO

One of the first things I look for is the next step.

If I land on a real estate website and see:

“Helping You Find Your Dream Home”

followed by a nice property photo...

What am I supposed to do?

Browse properties?

Book a viewing?

Ask about selling my house?

Get a valuation?

Call the agent?

The visitor shouldn't have to figure that out.

The hero should make the next action obvious.

For example:

“Looking to Buy or Sell in [Location]?”

[Browse Properties] [Get a Free Home Valuation]

The goal isn't to add more buttons.

It's to make the right action obvious.

2. THE WEBSITE TALKS ABOUT THE AGENT BEFORE THE VISITOR

This is a common problem.

The first few sections are usually:

“I've been a real estate professional for X years...”

“My passion is helping families...”

“I provide exceptional service...”

There's nothing wrong with those things.

But they're not necessarily what the visitor came looking for.

A buyer wants to know:

Can you help me find the right property?

A seller wants to know:

Can you help me sell my property?

A visitor who's still comparing agents wants to know:

Why should I trust you?

The website should answer those questions before spending too much time talking about the agent.

The visitor's problem comes first.

The agent's story comes second.

3. THERE'S NOT ENOUGH PROOF AT THE MOMENT TRUST MATTERS

Real estate is a trust-heavy purchase.

I'm not handing over a small amount of money.

I'm potentially trusting someone with one of the biggest financial decisions I'll ever make.

So if I land on an agent's website and there's no obvious:

- client testimonials

- recent sales

- reviews

- transaction history

- local expertise

- recognizable credentials

- evidence of results

I'm left asking:

“Why this agent?”

And that's a problem.

You don't necessarily need 30 testimonials.

A few strong pieces of proof placed at the right points in the page can do more than a giant wall of reviews buried at the bottom.

The proof should appear when the visitor is starting to ask:

“Can I trust this person?”

4. THE CTA IS TOO GENERIC

“Contact Us.”

That's not always a strong call to action.

Think about what the visitor actually wants.

A buyer might want:

“Schedule a Showing”

“Ask About This Property”

“Get Property Details”

“See Similar Homes”

A seller might want:

“Get My Home Value”

“Book a Seller Consultation”

“Find Out What My Home Could Sell For”

The CTA should describe the thing the visitor actually wants.

You're not asking them to “contact an agent.”

You're helping them take the next step toward buying or selling a property.

5. THE WEBSITE CREATES FRICTION BETWEEN INTEREST AND ACTION

This is probably the biggest one.

Imagine someone sees a property they like.

They're interested.

They want more information.

But then they have to:

find the contact page → fill out a long form → explain everything → wait for a response.

That's unnecessary friction.

The easier you make the next step, the easier it is for the visitor to act while the intent is still high.

And this matters because people are already researching agents online.

The 2025 Zillow Consumer Housing Trends Report found that 33% of buyers first found their agent through online channels, including real estate websites/apps, social networks and search engines. 2

So your website isn't just an online business card.

For some prospects, it's part of the decision-making process.

THE BIGGER POINT

I wouldn't start by asking:

“How can I make this website prettier?”

I'd ask:

“Where does the visitor hesitate?”

“Where do they lose trust?”

“Where do they become confused?”

“Where do they want to take action but aren't given an obvious way to do it?”

That's where conversion work begins.

A beautiful real estate website can still be a bad lead-generation website.

The goal isn't simply to make someone say:

“Nice website.”

The goal is to make the right visitor say:

“I think this is the agent I should talk to.”

0Reply
224 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1mo

    I think this is a great overview. if anybody wants to create a website exactly as @Emmanuel Richard describes, then copy this post and paste it into Claude code and ask Claude to build you a website and to include all of these points answering all of these questions and tell Claude to ask you the necessary questions to personalize the website to you and what you do. Over the past 2 weeks I have had Claude build my website for one of my Costa Rica properties bellavistacostarica.com. Claude code built it on render and then helped with the entire process of transerimg it over and it is building all of the backlinks. It is truely a game changer. 

    • Member since 2026 · 31 posts · 7 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Shiloh Lundahl:

      I think this is a great overview. if anybody wants to create a website exactly as @Emmanuel Richard describes, then copy this post and paste it into Claude code and ask Claude to build you a website and to include all of these points answering all of these questions and tell Claude to ask you the necessary questions to personalize the website to you and what you do. Over the past 2 weeks I have had Claude build my website for one of my Costa Rica properties bellavistacostarica.com. Claude code built it on render and then helped with the entire process of transerimg it over and it is building all of the backlinks. It is truely a game changer. 


       That's a great point, Shiloh AI tools have made the technical build way more accessible than even a year ago. The part that's still tricky for most people is knowing what to ask for the specific structure, copy, and conversion logic that actually turns visitors into leads (the stuff in my original post). Building the page is one thing; building a page that converts is a different skill.

      Happy to help anyone who tries the Claude Code route and wants a second pair of eyes on the result, or wants someone to just handle the whole thing if they'd rather not DIY it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.